I believe the Catholic and Orthodox churches teach a false gospel (warning: may offend some)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTPremill

Jul 25, 2015
✟233.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Catholic and Orthodox "denominations" teach a false gospel of works. They stand under condemnation of Galatians 1:8-9 because they teach that justification is not by faith alone in Christ's merits alone but that our good works or obedience to God's commandments after baptism, albeit aided by grace, is necessary in order to remain justified in God's eyes. To me this is heresy. I believe even some Arminian groups, like the Churches of Christ and Seventh-Day Adventists, also can be deemed heretical because they believe that our obedience to God's commandment is necessary to stay justified.

In conclusion, I believe that these groups have stepped outside the bounds of orthodox biblical Christianity and should not be deemed "Christian" in the biblical sense.

Reactions: rnmomof7

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eph 2:8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.

Justification is brought about by God's grace. I'm not a catholic, or EO, but I bet they believe at least, that they have faith in Christ's merits. They also have a lot of other things. It's not faith alone in faith alone that saves, otherwise that negates faith alone in Christ's merits alone, because it would be faith in Christ merits, plus you must believe you must not believe in needing to stay justified through obedience.
So... faith alone in faith alone seems to be a self-defeating belief that cannot be rationally tenable.

Also,

James 2:24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Why James?
20But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?

For faith to be effectual, it has to have works. Without works, it goes nowhere.

We should think of it this way: It's a faith that (not plus) works which saves.

Our works contribute to the vitality of our faith, and faith is the substance through which we are saved, which is by grace.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

NCTPremill

Jul 25, 2015
✟233.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say that faith alone in faith alone saves a sinner. I said that faith alone in Christ's merits alone justifies and saves a sinner. However, when you say that we must obey God's commandments in order to stay justified then you have basically rejected faith alone in Christ's merits alone. According to Paul, that kind of doctrine leads people to hell (Gal 1:8-9).

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say that faith alone in faith alone saves a sinner. I said that faith alone in Christ's merits alone justifies and saves a sinner. However, when you say that we must obey God's commandments in order to stay justified then you have basically rejected faith alone in Christ's merits alone. According to Paul, that kind of doctrine leads people to hell (Gal 1:8-9).
Do people have to "have faith" in "faith alone in Christ's merits alone in order to be saved"?
(also please respond to James 2 quotes)

EDIT:
Additionally, must the faith which you speak of have any works? Or it is a workless faith in Christ's merits which saves?

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, when you say that we must obey God's commandments in order to stay justified then you have basically rejected faith alone in Christ's merits alone.
I also believe we have to abstain from being atheists in order to remain justified.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the Catholic and Orthodox "denominations" teach a false gospel of works. They stand under condemnation of Galatians 1:8-9 because they teach that justification is not by faith alone in Christ's merits alone but that our good works or obedience to God's commandments after baptism, albeit aided by grace, is necessary in order to remain justified in God's eyes. To me this is heresy. I believe even some Arminian groups, like the Churches of Christ and Seventh-Day Adventists, also can be deemed heretical because they believe that our obedience to God's commandment is necessary to stay justified.

In conclusion, I believe that these groups have stepped outside the bounds of orthodox biblical Christianity and should not be deemed "Christian" in the biblical sense.

If that's the case then the same has to be said of "justification by faith alone" as the doctrine is not found in Scripture. It is a Reformation doctrine whose basis is in a misunderstanding of the apostle Paul's teachings on works. So if you say that Catholic and Orthodox denominations should not be deemed Christian then the same should to be said about your belief

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Where do you find anything that says one is justified by faith alone in Christ's merits alone? In Galatians Paul is addressing the Mosaic Law. What does the Mosaic Law have to do with Christians today?

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Accepting Christ as your Lord and Savior is the only requirement for salvation.
If you want to live contrary to God's laws that's your call. Heaven certainly needs someone to scrub the floors and the unsaved won't be there. Think of it this way. Entry to the Kingdom of Heaven is a great thing, but dining at the table of the King is far better than simply being in the kingdom. How you live your life will determine how you spend eternity.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Actually most Catholics freeze up if you ask them what the gospel is.. because they just do not know

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where do you find anything that says one is justified by faith alone in Christ's merits alone? In Galatians Paul is addressing the Mosaic Law. What does the Mosaic Law have to do with Christians today?

When you say it is Christ = anything it is a false gospel
In the case of the Galatians it was the jewish law tat was being added..

But the principle is the same..
If you add baptism to Christ it is a false gospel
If you add keeping the law of the Ot or your church ..it is a false gospel
If you add good works to Christ... it is a false gospel

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do people have to "have faith" in "faith alone in Christ's merits alone in order to be saved"?
(also please respond to James 2 quotes)

EDIT:
Additionally, must the faith which you speak of have any works? Or it is a workless faith in Christ's merits which saves?

Jam 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Jam 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

This is an amplification of the teaching of Jesus that we know a tree by the fruit it bears. It is how we know the saved from the unsaved. It does not declare that the man has faith ...but that he SAYS he has faith.

This addresses a hollow profession of faith , not a saving one .Can a hollow profession save him? NO, any more than works can save.This scripture says to the church that this faith is non existent , it is dead.

The key word here is faith.. Faith PRODUCES WORKS..works do not produce faith ... Being saved by works only produces doubt... have I done enough? been good enough

The bible is clear that it is God that gives the faith and it is God that ordains the works of the saved

Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you say it is Christ = anything it is a false gospel
In the case of the Galatians it was the jewish law tat was being added..

But the principle is the same..
If you add baptism to Christ it is a false gospel
If you add keeping the law of the Ot or your church ..it is a false gospel
If you add good works to Christ... it is a false gospel

Not at all. Paul was addressing a specific issue. He didn't say Christ plus anything. He said the Law. In the historical setting Paul was addressing the Judaizers, Jews who were telling his converts that in addition to faith in Christ they also needed to be circumcised and keep the Law of Moses. This is what he was arguing about. If we're going to talk about a false gospel it's taking the writing of Scripture out of context to fit a man made doctrine. To say one needs nothing other than to believe is not supported by the Scriptures. Jesus Himself said those who don't obey Him don't love Him and Paul said that Christ became the author of salvation to those who obey Him/

Upvote 0

NCTPremill

Jul 25, 2015
✟233.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Not at all. Paul was addressing a specific issue. He didn't say Christ plus anything. He said the Law. In the historical setting Paul was addressing the Judaizers, Jews who were telling his converts that in addition to faith in Christ they also needed to be circumcised and keep the Law of Moses. This is what he was arguing about. If we're going to talk about a false gospel it's taking the writing of Scripture out of context to fit a man made doctrine. To say one needs nothing other than to believe is not supported by the Scriptures. Jesus Himself said those who don't obey Him don't love Him and Paul said that Christ became the author of salvation to those who obey Him/

Yes, the law of Moses which also included the 10 commandments (the MORAL law). Therefore, when you say the "Law of Moses" Paul is also referring to anything contained in the Mosaic covenant laws which not only includes circumcision, dietary laws, special days, etc. but also commandments like "Thou shalt not murder," "Thou shalt not steal," "Thou shalt not covet," etc. etc.

Our obedience to God's commandments is the fruit and evidence of saving faith in Christ. They do not make faith "fully formed" in order to make it justifiable before God (in fact, it is not faith itself that justifies us but Christ and his merits that justifies us, faith only being an instrument). Once saving faith has been exercised (which, btw, is also a gift of God's grace) we are forever justified and secured in Christ.

Therefore, your distinction that Paul is only referring to the Mosaic covenant laws doesn't necessarily undermine the standard Protestant position because Paul is also including the moral aspects of the Law of Moses.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As an Orthodox Christian, I have tried unsuccessfully to engage Mr. (Dr.? Rev.?) Premill in his argument, so perhaps the thread participants will work with me.

I understand there are two related arguments as follow, each intending to prove that the Orthodox Church is a heretical sect.

I think the argument chain goes like this.

First, there is argument pertaining to justification by faith:

(P1) [Understood] The teaching that justification is not by faith alone in Christ's merit is contrary to Paul's gospel

(P2) The Orthodox Church teaches that justification is not by faith alone in Christ's merit

Therefore:

(C1) The Orthodox Church preaches a gospel other than the one Paul preached

Then there is a second argument, pertaining to good works and obedience to God's commandments:

(P3) [Understood] The teaching that our good works, aided by grace, are necessary to remain justified in God's eyes is contrary to Paul's gospel

(P4) [Understood] The teaching that obedience to God's commandments, aided by Grace, is necessary to remain justified in God's eyes is contrary to Paul's gospel

(P5) The Orthodox Church teaches that our good works and/or obedience to God's commandments, aided by grace, is necessary to remain justified in God's eyes

Therefore, again (C1):

(C1) The Orthodox Church preaches a gospel other than the one Paul preached

Then, based on the witness of Paul in Galatians:

(P6) Any one that preaches a gospel other than the one that Paul preached is anathema

I will add:

(P7) [Understood] Anathema means heretical and not/no longer belonging to the Church

So by (C1)+(P6)+(P7), we have the main conclusion, I think:

(C) The Orthodox Church is a heretical sect

I guess I will run with this and try to argue, unless someone can tell me that I have not extracted the correct premises and conclusions of the argument.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

And some that claim the title "christian" believe one must be baptized .....

Could you tell us what Jesus said we are to obey ?

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And some that claim the title "christian" believe one must be baptized .....

Could you tell us what Jesus said we are to obey ?

Matthew 28.19-20. 'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, BAPTIZING them in the name of The Father, and The Son and The Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you and remember that I am with you always, until the end of the age.'

This takes place after the Resurrection. After Christ's work is finished. Yet He leaves us with things to do. Things like baptize others, (in a very specific way). Things like teach others to be obedient to Him and what He taught.

So YES, I can tell you what Jesus taught us to obey...because He taught those very things to His first disciples. Things such as loving God with all our hearts, minds, strength, soul...to forgive others as we wish to be forgiven...to be humble and never forget that we are nothing, we accomplish nothing without Him...to love others more than we love ourselves...that however we treat the least among us, that is how we are treating Him. Jesus taught a great many things; baptizing others just happens to be one of them. And if The Lord of Lords and The King of Kings said that we should do it, who is any of us to say differently?

Peace in Christ

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.