I am so concerned - he will soon be living off of me...

oracle999

Aug 16, 2016
usa
✟7,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am a catholic -- as is my fiancé. We live together -- I moved to his town and into his home about a year ago. We lived a few hours away and he was making more money than me...and he begged me to move with him so he could cut down on the travel. He said he would take care of me financially until I got a new job. I got one asap, because I was terrified of being without my salary. I am very independent so I was scared.

Well a year later, he and I are still together. I'm making almost as much as he is. And he just lost his job. We had major relationship problems about 6 months ago because he was super controlling and trying to prevent me from expanding my work. He also demanded we share finances and that I have all my finances exposed and in a joint account. He wants every single penny. Fights have hit hard when I try to buy something even though I bring in JUST AS MUCH as he does -- and I have zero debt....he has substantial debt and child support he pays for 3 kids.

We both consider ourselves married.... but we are not. We wear rings and we are in a state that the says if you live together for 24 months and identify yourself as married -- you are legally married in the state. We haven't hit that time yet but we tell people we are married. His idea --

Anyway, sorry to be longwinded. But, I am really feeling uncomfortable. We are not married. I live with him. He takes every dime I make and says he is depending that my salary continues and builds so he can open his own business. He is taking a 200k business loan next month. He says he has tried to find a salary job but he can't. He refuses to move and says his only option is to start his own biz.

He keeps starting fights telling me I should "run" because we are about to go through hell. He says that he won't make money at all for awhile and that I should realize that my salary isn't enough to support him, our expenses and his 3 kids on child support. (children he sees about once or twice a month). They are 15, 16 and 17. He also pays for their car payments, their insurance and soon -- he wants to help pay for their college.

He continues to throw in my face that we are still about 4k short each month when just going off my salary. He says that we will never survive and I am seriously in denial if I think I can support us. He doesn't want to downsize. Our cars and his mortgage etc are SO high -you would choke.

I had told him gently during a fight last night that if wanted to put this pressure on me - he should at least marry me. He said that he wants to go through the Catholic church (even though he won't even go to church with me) and see what they say before he marries again legally.

He is 49. This will be his third marriage.

I think this is a long post that is bottom line about a woman (me) who is upset that she is giving every single dime to her fiancé who is not making good financial decisions and he won't even marry me. At least not now.

Who is to say (considering how he is about money) that he doesn't drain me dry and get his business going and then leave me. Broke.

He warns me day in and day out that "hell is coming" and tells me that I'm not tough enough to get through the mess that's ahead.

I suggested he consider finding a proper employment position even upstate or something -- he won't do it. He says his kids are here. He sees them once a month and they are older.

He has all the reasons why he won't do that...and none of them seem to add up.

If I ask to separate money - I know (after many fights) that he will say I'm not a team player and he will end our relationship.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
You are living together without being legally married. Move out.
He is telling you that you are not strong enough to weather the coming storm. Move out.
He has told you to "run". So run!! What are you waiting for?

You make enough to support yourself (and if you are the poster I think you are, enough to support your son as well). You put yourself in a position where he is controlling YOUR finances and making financial decisions, telling you what you can do with your own money. Seriously. Leave. Get out and go be alone for a while. You need to get healthy yourself before you can get into a healthy relationship. You have the means. Use them.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yep. Run far and fast. Nothing healthy about this one.

I'd suggest you get some advice on how to do that safely; things like making sure you have essential documents, financial records, all of that. Maybe see if you can talk to a social worker who can help you work through your options?

Upvote 0

oracle999

Aug 16, 2016
usa
✟7,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I tried leaving him once before and I did not last long. I was so heart broken and missed him very much. I believe that at a minimum, I am a codependent -- as he probably is too. It's easy to say 'run' ...but it is so difficult to really leave him.

We have spent so much time together over the past 2.5 years. I don't really know how to live without him emotionally.

How do I get the strength? I love him -- even though we obviously have our issues. He is destroying me professionally and financially. He holds me back in many ways...

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
RUUUUUUNNNNNNN like hells on your heels! & Do not marry him!
You think its bad now?... I'm absolutely 100% sure it will get worse.

I know you think it will break your heart but if you stay with him it will destroy you, your spirit, your life, your finances etc.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
First off, married or not, if you are not in a community property state, you are not responsible for his child support payments. Second, RUN, don't walk out that door and never come back.

Lastly, if you are 4 THOUSAND dollars short on expenses every month then you all spend too much money.

Upvote 0

oracle999

Aug 16, 2016
usa
✟7,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, when I moved with him -- he already had HUGE expenses. He makes good money of course -- but now he is taking a huge risk in starting his own business.

I guess I just wonder why someone in this position wouldn't just decide to find another employer instead of take a 200k business loan -- to only tell me he expects that it won't work very well.

I do not know how to leave him -- even though I literally and watching my life slip away.

Even today - I was busy working in the car -- trying to get something finished on deadline and he was very annoyed that I had been ignoring him. He said jokingly "do I need to go find a girlfriend...someone who still loves me? Since you don't seem to anymore..."

He says these kinds of things ALL the time -- as a joke.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not know how to leave him -- even though I literally and watching my life slip away.

Open the front door, gather your things, get in your car and start driving...any direction will do. Block his number off your phone. Sign a quit-claim deed if your name is on the house.

Even today - I was busy working in the car -- trying to get something finished on deadline and he was very annoyed that I had been ignoring him. He said jokingly "do I need to go find a girlfriend...someone who still loves me? Since you don't seem to anymore..."

He says these kinds of things ALL the time -- as a joke.

Tell him to go for it and you're outta there.

After you leave, find a Celebrate Recovery group to work through your co-dependency.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oracle999

Aug 16, 2016
usa
✟7,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Have I lost all touch with reality? Is this THAT bad? I know i'm struggling, but am I looking like the biggest moron on the planet?

Yes, I am able to succeed on my own financially -- but I just feel so lost when he is not around. It's like something in me has given up....and I find myself doing everything I can to make sure he's happy. Well, at least happy with me -- and many times I can't control that.

The other day we left dinner and he had previously told me that his best friend and his girlfriend were unable to hang out. As soon as we left dinner, he mentioned that they may be free. (I didn't want to, I wanted to go home). I just said "oh I thought he couldn't go out? He said I never said that. Then, he got on the phone and told the guy we were on our way to meet. When I said "so, we are going?" He started screaming at me for acting non decisive. I told him we could go -- but that I didn't want to stay long. He said "you are impossible." I said how so? I just said let's go -- just not too long, ok?"

He was still angry and said he was sick of my passive aggressive behavior and that I'm ruining a good night. It went on and on. I said I'm so confused everything was fine. I THINK YOU want to fight. I"m not fighting. He said I was destructive and want to ruin everything....

Then we walked into see his friends. I was nice -- and everything went back to normal. It was so bizarre.

I ended up drinking 3 glasses of wine and he immediately told me when we got in the car that he was worried about my drinking so much... It is always something.

But MOST DAYS -- are fine -- but he does launch into these weird rants.

Open the front door, gather your things, get in your car and start driving...any direction will do. Block his number off your phone. Sign a quit-claim deed if your name is on the house.

Tell him to go for it and you're outta there.

After you leave, find a Celebrate Recovery group to work through your co-dependency.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I am able to succeed on my own financially -- but I just feel so lost when he is not around. It's like something in me has given up....and I find myself doing everything I can to make sure he's happy. Well, at least happy with me -- and many times I can't control that.

You shouldn't have to "make sure he's happy". That's HIS responsibility, not yours.

Go see a counselor and work on how to break this co-dependency cycle. He seems to be an emotional abuser and those types look for co-dependent women.

Again. Open the front door, gather your things and walk out the door. Get in your car, drive in any direction you wish as far away from this clown as possible. On your way open a new bank account. Empty the joint account. Change your phone number. Do not contact him again.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is this THAT bad?

The other day we left dinner and he had previously told me that his best friend and his girlfriend were unable to hang out. As soon as we left dinner, he mentioned that they may be free. (I didn't want to, I wanted to go home). I just said "oh I thought he couldn't go out? He said I never said that. Then, he got on the phone and told the guy we were on our way to meet. When I said "so, we are going?" He started screaming at me for acting non decisive. I told him we could go -- but that I didn't want to stay long. He said "you are impossible." I said how so? I just said let's go -- just not too long, ok?"

He was still angry and said he was sick of my passive aggressive behavior and that I'm ruining a good night. It went on and on. I said I'm so confused everything was fine. I THINK YOU want to fight. I"m not fighting. He said I was destructive and want to ruin everything....

Then we walked into see his friends. I was nice -- and everything went back to normal. It was so bizarre.

I ended up drinking 3 glasses of wine and he immediately told me when we got in the car that he was worried about my drinking so much... It is always something.

But MOST DAYS -- are fine -- but he does launch into these weird rants.

No, it sounds like its much worse than you realize. But many people have trouble seeing how bad things are from "inside" an abusive relationship.

Gaslighting.. look it up. sounds like thats what hes doing to you & its a nasty nasty thing to do to a person.

You shouldn't have to "make sure he's happy". That's HIS responsibility, not yours.

Go see a counselor and work on how to break this co-dependency cycle. He seems to be an emotional abuser and those types look for co-dependent women.

Again. Open the front door, gather your things and walk out the door. Get in your car, drive in any direction you wish as far away from this clown as possible. On your way open a new bank account. Empty the joint account. Change your phone number. Do not contact him again.

I second this.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read your posts. I'm trying to figure out why you are with him. The only 'pro' reason I saw was that you feel lost without him.

He's borrowing 200k, so he won't starve if you go somewhere.

Btw, if he's been married two or three times, would the RCC marry him again? I mean, unless his wives died?

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you the lady that keeps making up screen names to post about this relationship? And you left your husband and met this clown and you have a child with the ex and the loser boyfriend can't get along with your child and made you move to another town away from your child? I hope all of this is made up, but if it is somehow true then I can't believe you are still with this joker. You need to get out, go to therapy, and be single for a long time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oracle999

Aug 16, 2016
usa
✟7,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No that's not me. However, it sounds like a similar story -- only I do not have a child

I came here tonight for some support because I am feeling very broken. I had another conversation tonight with my "fiancé" and it was so painful. He is going to need insurance when he becomes self employed. I told him if we were married, that he could get on with my employer. He suggested I give them a falsified common law marriage document and that should work. I said why not just get married....if you continue to depend on me like I am your wife?

He said no --- not yet. And if I wanted to start taking my own money back that he will move with his parents and I will need to find my own way... He won't continue to live with me. Then he said "I know you think of leaving me...because I have nothing left to give you....so I think you should do that. leave." I started to cry and he said that he just wants the best for me and he is going down into the pits of hell financially and I should just protect myesel. When I got mad and said "okay -- fine. I'll do that!" He said SO YOU Are just going to LEAVE ME??? JUST LIKE THAT?

I said you just told me to leave!! He said that it was clear that I wasn't tough enough to withstand what's coming...if that's what I do when he says things like this...ad he just "KNEW" that I wasn't going to be strong enough to be there when things get rough....

He said he won't marry me right now and either we live like we are (me contributing everything) or we don't.. and he goes and lives with his parents or in a tiny one bedroom apartment and makes his millions back. Then he said I will regret ever leaving because he will be a millionaire with everything handed

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Um yeah....I went and read some of your old threads here and yep it's you and you clearly state you have a child on those threads. Everything else is the same- catholic, common law husband who is a jerk, wishy washy about leaving him, he needs insurance so he's going to defraud your work, etc.... If none of this drama is true, then you really need some help. If this drama is true, then you really need some help. If you have been with him all this time and it's always drama and never good then this relationship is not a good one. People have given you the same advice over and over and over again and yet you still stick with this loser. At this point, I think you have made your choice. You continue to have the same problems b/c you don't do anything to fix them.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are a couple of people like this that come on to this forum every now and then. Either they're trolling (badly...I mean...at least make up a somewhat different story in that case), or else they must be delusional and think that if they phrase the situation slightly differently they'll get affirmation to do what they apparently want to do (which is stay in the bad situation).

If this is real - your situation is not going to improve. It hasn't improved since your last screen name, nor will it improve by your next re-invention. You're not married. Time to 'get'.

Upvote 0