1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

I am losing my faith Please Help

Discussion in 'For New Christians' started by rudez, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rudez

rudez Keep it Real

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Friends My life is one example for many miracles from the Lord
    But somehow I am not unable to trust on the Lord with pure heart.

I always get this feeling of "why am I not able to experience super natural things like people used to experience in the old testament days".

The city where I Live,I see many disabled people everywhere,and everytime I see them I remember the scriptures from the new testament,why god did not heal them and still they are facing a miserable life.

Bible says Jesus christ has won the battle over satan and yet today christians are feeling difficulty to talk with the Lord.As one of my good friends on CF suggested me a Muller document,it helped me in knowing the difference between the holy spirit and evil spirits,yet I am unable to trust in the lord.

Please suggest me lot of Books to know about christianity for total

I am feeling so Incomplete these days,I feel like God isn't real,it's just Human foresight or Brain power that is doing all these "realistic" things in our life.

Is it that inside my mind I had this feeling that god does super natural things or being a christian you could experience a super natural scene ?

I am really disturbed and I don't want to give up,so I want to start from ground zero again.

I just want to start as an Atheist who is trying to know if god exists or not,I want to do the research in the right way and know the things correct.I think it is my half knowledge on christianity is making me feel like this.

Please help me and give me the proper guidance,
    I had a terrible Christmas and my mother is facing some personal crisis.
    I did a fasting prayer for 2 days,yet I am feeling so incomplete,drained and faithless.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Why do you say that?

3. fm107

fm107 Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Rudez,

All of us once stood before God as convicted crinimals diserving Hell for our crimes (sins) but God (the righteous judge) in love for us, sent his one and only son into this world to die in our place.

So since Jesus died in our place, we can be declared righteous because Jesus became our substitute and died for our sins.

So what do you need to do? Well Jesus asks only this, that you believe in him - that's all it takes to get to Heaven. Simple, sincere belief that Jesus is who he says he is and the sincere belief in what he has done for you.

Jesus is very real and wants you to know him without doubt. But in order to do that you must have faith. If you ask God to help you to know him, if you humble yourself before him and earnestly seek him, God will answer your prayers and reveal himself to you. When I use the word 'reveal,' I don't mean he expose himself to you but rather he will allow you to come to the realisation that he is real through perhaps a circumstance or something you read etc, God can allow something to click in your head and you will say wow, I know now he is real and I have the faith to beleive it! It's like seeing those optical illusion puzzles, you will finally see the picture in the patterns and it will all be so clear to you.

As for being able to heal people etc. Those powers were given to the early Christians in order to help spread the gospel. God gave disciples these powers to show that the gospel had it's authority from Heaven. The power to heal and speak in tongues have long since gone.

You see the gospel was a new teaching which came about after the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Men could go on to believe this new teaching because they could see that God was behind it from the power discplayed in the healing etc of people by the disciples.

But scripture clearly states that these things would cease after a time.

But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

1 Corinthians 13:8
    But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

And even the Apostle Paul seemed to have been unable to heal people at a certain stage in his life:

2 Timothy 4:20
    I left Trophimus sick in Miletus.

The only book I can really advise that you read is the bible. The gospel of John is an excellent place to start. Before you begin reading though, pray to God and ask him to help you understand what you read.

Hope this helps friend.

4. now faith

now faith Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Word-of-Faith
    The previous post is the problem. Their is a movement that spiritual gifts don't exist today. It is simply not true the context of the Scripture is his interpted by many. This causes a lack of faith in God due to these things gone away. It is not found in the bible it is based on the assumption in the following text when that which is perfect has come. The unbelievers assume this is the completed bible. The bible is the living word of god and has been here from the beginning. What Paul was teaching was when we meet Christ face to face we will understand Gods purposes in all things. This type of teaching combined with constant worldly influence is quinching the spiritual gifts in many. Read the text for your self. Consider a spirit filled church and renew your mind for his glory. Ask yourself if what our lord promised is not for today and the holy spirit is limited as to Gods promise. And all the teaching from Paul is void along with the other apostles is the cross still for today are we covered by the blood of the lamb? Or has that not today either. It is our lack of belief that quinchs Gods best for our lives it is mans twist on Scripture. Try WOF forums ask the veteran teachers their. Or try the charismatic forum and reach out to them. Don't give up don't let the church or the devil steal you joy or hamper your faith. As to fm107 show me where the bible teaches god is not the same today as he was yesterday. Show me where you find this because you and many others misinterpretation of chapter 13 is simply nonsense

5. Peripatetic

Peripatetic Restless mind, peaceful soul.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    God used more outward signs in Old Testament times and during the early church in order to show that God is real. Remember that there were many "gods" back then. The people of Israel needed something on which to base their faith. Now that Christianity has been established, we rely on scripture and the Holy Spirit. If we all experienced supernatural miracles on a regular basis, there would be no need for faith.

6. fm107

fm107 Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Amen!

God is the same today as he was yesterday - I don't know where your getting that I said otherwise from.

As for my apparent misinterpretation - feel free to show me the correct interpretation rather just stating that what I said is wrong?

7. SQLservant

SQLservant Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I'll recommend one book: Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross (it's even available online for free at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library). He describes the great spiritual dryness, doubt, and confusion which we all experience at some point or another, and how it is not something to be despaired of. Doubting, questioning, and even feeling like your prayers are ineffectual are not sinful of themselves--the Psalms show where David, said to be a "man after God's own heart" felt just this way many times. You must not lose heart, however. Even when it seems like nothing is working, it is all for your benefit. Do not be distracted by teachings that provide cheap rushes of superficial happiness but little growth or understanding. That is building a house on sand at best, and turning away from the light in favor of worldly distraction (even though it may call itself the very truth of God) at worst. I have felt much the same doubts as you have described, and more so than me, many of the great heroes of the faith have as well. King David and St. John of the Cross we have mentioned, but there are multitudinous other examples. Blessed Mother Teresa even lived with such doubts almost fifty years.

You call your own life an "example for many miracles;" why, then, would you want to start again "as an atheist," as if you have not already been provided with the germ from which faith should spring? Scripture says that to know God, one must believe he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. You have your own evidence that he does, and the whole of the universe to back this up (even evolution bears God's autograph all over it). If you truly wish to do so, however, why not consult C. S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity"? The first portion describes his own experiences where he came back to Christianity after abandoning all belief for quite some time. Regardless of what conclusions you come to, I highly recommend this book.

Those are the first two books that come to mind for your current situation. I hope you find for yourself a Christian tradition to call your own, and delve deeply into it.

8. rudez

rudez Keep it Real

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I made up some questions for myself before I read the posts here as I am doing the research from the beginning to get myself clarified with crystal clear.

Why should I believe Christianity is true ? I have never been influence by any other religion and never worshipped any idols before.
    I see a lot of connection in the old testament books but I don't see any connection in the new testament except it is like spreading christianity and mix of human words.

2.If Jesus is the Lord,What does he wants from me ? Just because I am afraid of hell,I am not going to believe in the Lord.
    I have the attitude of a commander of an air force defense etc
    There we Just don't do something because we are afraid of it and that we might get killed.
    We know our heads,
    We know who they are
    where they are sending us and we know reason why we have to follow their orders etc
    For every mission we have a purpose.

So considering god,
    If Jesus is the Lord,
    What does he wants from me ?
    What does he want me to be ?
    If he wants something,should I change my feelings according to it ?
    Should I destroy my feelings for the sake of god ?
    Does god wants me to destroy my own feelings and follow his feelings.

Christianity says the god is love
    but why do I see many miserable christians in my life who always say they that don't get enough help from the Lord.

How should I know what god is planning for me ?
    Why is humanity (only christian population) facing a lot of difficulty to know about the lord,

Psalms sound very nice to hear,but are they for real ? does god can bless any one like that ?

Last but not least
    Does god really communicates with us ?
    or is it angels or someone else speaking ?

My main goal of this research is to get to know exact answers from the Lord
    like I said before
    I just fasted for two days just to know if god is speaking to me or not
    But i did not get any answers,
    this dark phase is killing me.

9. rudez

rudez Keep it Real

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    But I get to speak in tongues sometimes
    Is it me speaking or any evil spirit.

What about the spiritual gifts ? So spiritual gifts don't exist any more ?

Why not for us ? even today hinduism and islam are dominating.
    I never had problems with islam friends,except with the extremists
    since I lived in a Hindu country,i know how bad that religion is and how those idols cause a lot of damage to christians and other people.

Hinduism is a main part of illuminus or luciferanism.
    during these times,we need something very powerful from the lord to defend ourselves from these people.

Regarding miracles in my life,
    I don't know i feel that they are miracles,
    But they are realistic,there is nothing to do with interference with god or may be I don't know what has happened when they took place in my life.
    If you check my previous posts,
    I got lot of visions and all came true and sometimes I get visions which happen immediately on the day itself.
    I have strong science facts to support all these things,
    But I want it from the Lord side,as science came from the lord.

I just want to communicate with the Lord,in a very effective way.
    I am dying for that.

Scriptures say that elijah and elisha are same people like us,but they have strong holy spirit power ,then what difference does it makes in calling them US and those powerful prophets the same ?

10. heymikey80

heymikey80 Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    Books?

Romans. John. Luke.

11. now faith

now faith Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Word-of-Faith
    can't beat this horse even if you read the entire book you have your opinion maybe start a thread in WOF forum.

12. Sailorgirl13

Sailorgirl13 Saved by Grace

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Firstly, old testament vs new testament.
    The reason why the new testament is often considered more 'relevant' to modern society is because of Jesus.
    At the time of the old testament, people were governed by the Ten Commandments and the rest of the scriptures, telling them right from wrong. If they sinned they were required to sacrifice and get a priest to absolve them.
    Now, we are saved by grace.
    God have us Jesus to die on the cross. He was the only person to have never sinned, yet he was punished. He chose to die for us, and take all sin to the grave with him.
    That's why we are forgiven whenever we ask.

I can suggest reading The Shack by William P Young. It confronts a lot of issues to do with doubt, choices and who God is. It is really easy to read and in the medium of a fictional story but still thought provoking

:)

13. heymikey80

heymikey80 Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    I still think I'd dwell on the Resurrection of Christ as reality.

14. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Rudez, why did you say this?

If you want books to help you make sense of why Christianity is true, they're out there - for instance, I've just picked up "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be An Atheist" by Dr. Norm Geisler and Dr. Frank Turek and so far, so good - but there's something more personal than mere intellectual doubt going on here. How did you see God work in your life such that you are saying it is an example of a miracle from God?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. Harry3142

Harry3142 Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Rudez-

First, don't depend on your ability to hold on to God; depend on God's ability to hold on to you. Even when you don't feel him a being present, he's still with you. And sometimes his greatest power is his ability to be subtle.

As for those who are suffering, God has sent them help, namely, us. Christianity is not a sit-on-our-hands religion. Instead, it's a roll-up-our-sleeves-and-go-to-work religion. The sternest passage in the gospels is the one in Matthew 25:31-46, where Jesus told his disciples that they were to show the compassion which God has for those in need through practical aid rather than through pietistic words. Where they saw hunger, or thirst, or nakedness, or illness, or even imprisonment, they were to take action to alleviate the suffering present.

In Jesus' time period there were no organized relief agencies. If people were suffering it was up to those around them to alleviate that suffering. They were to show compassion for each other through their aiding one another. The commandment "Love your neighbor as yourself", found in Leviticus 19:18b and quoted by Jesus Christ himself as one of the most important commandments, meant that they were to care for each other's welfare, rather than just their own.

We have relief agencies today, but that does not absolve us Christians of our own personal responsibilities. Now, as then, we have an obligation to alleviate the suffering we see around us. We can do it as volunteers with a relief agency presently working in the area. We can do it through our church's outreach program designed to assist those in need. We can even do it through organizing our own neighborhoods so that when suffering is found those in distress can get the help needed to either end or at least mitigate that distress.

Trust God to lead you in the path that he wants you to take. Even if you cannot see where it will end, he can.

16. Criada

Criada <b> Recovery Co-manager </b><br><b>Moderation & St Staff Member Supporter Staff on LOA CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Mod Hat On
    [​IMG]

This is not a debate area, please address the OP
    rather than debating other members' replies.
    Thanks

Mod Hat Off

17. Criada

Criada <b> Recovery Co-manager </b><br><b>Moderation & St Staff Member Supporter Staff on LOA CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
  18. day time

day time Guest

When you say "starting over from the ground up" ..... good stuff I think.

It's cutting through to the chase, and trying to let reality speak for itself. So if you're going to do that .... don't rely on books, or others, or whatever .... let things speak for themselves. Faith is, afterall .... "not being sure". It might lead to a fact .... but until it does, it's got uncertainty to it. Faith is a "risk", no matter how well calculated a risk you might be taking.

It sounds to me like you're wanting to find out the facts, not "guesses" or "maybe's" or "I believe and that's good enough." You want to know if there are pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. So chase a rainbow down and find out lol.

My two cents:

For me, faith produced "fact" .... but the end of the road doesn't arrive the way you might think it would. Once you find "facts" .... it opens up new questions, new wonderment, new areas to have "faith" in.

For example ... suppose you find out God is real, God really exists ... etc and so forth. Why trust God ? Are you going to just fall to your knees and worship because it's "awe inspiring" .... and just blindly trust because you find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ? How do you know the gold isn't a "trap" ? How do you know that God has your best interests in mind and can be trusted ? And suppose you trust God .... but somewhere down the line, God does something you don't agree with. Then what ?

See .... belief and faith isn't just a matter of what exists, or doesn't exist ... or even what is true. Being married to someone for 20 years, and them never cheating on you, or abusing you .... that earns trust. It's evidence of trust. And that track record is "true" ..... but it doesn't mean they might not change. It doesn't mean they might not do something you don't agree with ... and you can tell yourself all day long memorized mantras, or try to convince yourself that the spouse is going to be trustworthy for another 20 more years, since they were already trustworthy for the first 20 .... but believing it doesn't make it so. There is still a *risk* involved ..... because the spouse is free, dynamic, living, not controlled by you, not under your direction like a programmable bot. Take 20 years for granted, and you might miss things lol ...

I think people have their "comfort levels" ..... in other words, what level of "fact" they are willing to look for, search for, tolerate, desire. For some, they don't need to see anything supernatural. They don't need to "know" .... believing is good enough. Some don't even want to know .... it's more comfortable to think something is true, rather than actually *knowing* whether or not it is. In those cases, it gets closer to denial .... and denial and faith aren't the same thing lol. But for others ..... they might walk a line of faith, which shows them facts .... which might not always look like they imagined. So do you change your perspective to fit the evidence and facts ? Or do you take a step back, and say, "nope ..... doesn't matter what I'm looking at .... my beliefs draw the line for me, not the facts." It's reaaaaal tempting, to find that comfort zone ..... where you know what you know, you know what you don't know, and you're "good to go" with all of it. And I don't think there is anything wrong with finding that comfort zone, that level of being okay with where things are at. But .... there are still rabbit holes for you to chase down, that lead to places you might not always want to go. Even seeing the supernatural, and experiencing it ..... it's only "proof" of so much. There are still a lot of things to consider, like who and what to *trust*.

For me, personally ..... everytime I go down one of them, it blows my mind. It's a challenge, it's a risk, on occassion it even throws into question everything I thought was rock solid sometimes .... because existence is taken care of, now it's about "motive", "agenda", "love" ..... more subjective aspects to place your faith and belief in. *Character*.

Good luck :~)

19. ramblingokie

ramblingokie Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I am probably the last person to answer such a good question but I have had similar issues. What I found was the good old fashion bible study but I needed help. So I turned here....A good guy and think he is worth checking out. ttb.org
    now for the "I feel like God isn't real,it's just Human foresight or Brain power that is doing all these "realistic" things in our life."...I went to doesgodexist.org this is a great resource that helped me overcome this hurdle. I prefer the video but there are also free books and even an online correspondence course to take if you really do have issues with God not being real. Done both and very educational.

Finally turn to us here. Dont let this crack grow. Someone very dear to me told once that the be the best weapon Satan has is a crack. Think about it. Cracks grow. The grand canyon began much smaller that what it is today. Cracks grow very slowly and before you know it you have a great canyon to overcome. I will pray for you and I will ask you to pray for me. I have many cracks myself. Shalom and keep us posted. you are very special.

20. opengate07

opengate07 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational