I am leaving Christianity

J

Jesse2014

The reason is, well, not important. I have judged and criticize Christians and that was wrong. God would say who are you to judge my people. And I do not want to be part of his wrath.

I will never deny Christ as the only Son of God. I just want to leave the community. Not so I can sin. Sin will always lead to death. I will surrender to Christ everyday. I just want to put it on record so that if someone reads my icon and sees that it's not Christian, they don't complain to the moderators.

I am not saying that Christians are hypercrits, like I have told myself before, which was sin. In fact, I am the hypercrit. God hates it when other people judge his people. There are scriptures that speak against that. So I hope you can forgive me. I will keep my Christian icon for a week, then I am changing it. I know I won't be able to be on this part of the forums. Thank you for all those who gave me advice.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The reason is, well, not important. I have judged and criticize Christians and that was wrong. God would say who are you to judge my people. And I do not want to be part of his wrath.

I will never deny Christ as the only Son of God. I just want to leave the community. Not so I can sin. Sin will always lead to death. I will surrender to Christ everyday. I just want to put it on record so that if someone reads my icon and sees that it's not Christian, they don't complain to the moderators.

I am not saying that Christians are hypercrits, like I have told myself before, which was sin. In fact, I am the hypercrit. God hates it when other people judge his people. There are scriptures that speak against that. So I hope you can forgive me. I will keep my Christian icon for a week, then I am changing it. I know I won't be able to be on this part of the forums. Thank you for all those who gave me advice.

It doesn't seem that your leaving or abandoning your own set of Christian beliefs to me...

It only seems that you get frustrated with Christian organizational groups, (the congregation, "community" of Christians), and what happens when they congregate, there tendency to talk and gossip and discuss more about what "everyone else's" problem(s) is/are in/with life, rather than focusing inwardly, reflecting upon their own selves/lives, and making themselves the project, instead of other people...

Also, probably their tendencies to talk more about small talk, the weather, and for example, their golf game, or some other unimportant thing, or who/what well known persons they run with, sports and recreational activities, in short, almost anything else to avoid about talking about Christ, in their everyday lives, and as it (him/he) applies to their everyday lives,

Truth is, most of the congregation thinks discussions about Christ and the job of ministering falls completely on the pastor and the Sunday service, but afterwards, the talk goes back to almost anything else to avoid talking about Jesus Christ...

I understand your frustrations with the congregations/christian communities brother, in fact, I share it, but don't let that make you abandon your Christianity, but/and please remember and please realize to be forgiving, and patient and kind, realize that we all are "works in progress" and some more so than others. Just because in your eyes you see that most of the christian community/congregation does not seem to be working very hard at it, or even concentrating on it, in their everyday live, do not let that disuade you, please...

You, yourself, by what you've said seem to have a firm foundation, don't give up on it, please, I beg you... True Christians (who make Christ the focus of their entire lives) are very rare, and are scattered about, and rarely ever find each other, truth is most of the people in the congregations (I would say half) are "baby" Christians, and the other half, if their beliefs were truly put to the test, would be found out to not really be believers at all, finding the very rare ones who are mature in their faith, is a rarity indeed, and some of these can't tolerate immature baby Christians, or professed believers whose beliefs fail when under trial, so some of them avoid congregating all together, and isolate, please don't become one of those...

Wishing you the best,

In Jesus name, God Bless!

Upvote 0

RegularGuy

May 30, 2014
✟15,232.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm reading into what you're saying. Here's my take on it. Something within your community, or possibly you're own actions, are making you feel the need to "punish" yourself, buy "disavowing" your identity as a Christian.

Brother, we've all had rough patches. I've, at times been so ashamed of myself (sins) or thoughts of others in a group (anger or worse) to the point that I was actually ashamed to pray, and I wouldn't.

But what ever is causing your pain, and no matter how enormous the pain or problem may seem, keep in mind that all things are possible with Christ. There is no sin, problem or situation that He can't see you out of.

I've also been through the exact thing that you're describing. I did not want to publicly identify myself as a Christian. My particular reason, was that I had wandered so far off the path of righteousness, that I did not want non-Christians to judge other Christians, by my actions. I was thoroughly ashamed of myself, to a point that I thought that there was no return.

I am not suggesting that this is the same thing you're going through, but I sense you're feelings are similar. Hang in there, and pray. If you've got feelings of guilt, no matter if you feel ashamed or not, God will answer your prayers, in His time.

Hang in there, my friend. Let us all, yourself incuded, pray for you. Some day in the future, whatever it is that feels like a massive burden on your soul, will seem distant and small, and you will feel glad you didn't give up your identity as that of a Christian.

Stay cool

RG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just remember that a Christian is a follower of Christ not a follower of Christians.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with leaving the Christian religion. It has become perverted and polluted over the centuries. Just don't turn your back on Jesus.

Amen and Amen.

Over the years the Lord has taught me much and in this present moment I am still being taught. Sometimes that which the Lord teaches me has been very, very painful which has allowed me to learn much from these particular seasons.

I have gone through seasons over the years where I was choosing that Jesus and I can manage quite well without fellow brothers and sisters in Christ in my life. Honestly, those seasons were very difficult to say the least but I'm thankful that God allowed me the free will to discover the difference between isolating vs. assembling with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

Through these seasons the Lord revealed much to me regarding vestiges of religiosity, legalism, past offences, past wounding (within my mind, heart and spirit), judging other brother and sisters in Christ (over doctrinal and/or theological differences).

The Lord has also showed me that I'm to be about the Father's business and I can not do this with just Jesus and me on an island of remorse, regret, and self-pity. These seasons the Lord led me through were very painful but I can state presently that I'm thankful because God had to put me back on the potter's wheel and back into the refiner's fire to burn off some dross. Pleasant experiences? Definitely not but very necessary.

Over the last seven years Abba Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit have shown me several things:

-Religiosity and legalism are tools of the enemy who is the enemy of my soul
-The Lord brought me into the world in such a time, day and hour it is in His prophetical time clock
-In my humble opinion the days are short and my greatest desire is to be used of the Lord in whatever way He chooses
-There are no perfect churches, ministries, pastors, and/or teachers of God's Holy Word
-My life is truly not my own and I willingly present myself to the Lord each day asking the Holy Spirit to have His way with me
-I truly want to fulfill God's purpose for my life
-I truly want the love of Christ to be manifested mightily through me by the work of the Holy Spirit

Having said all this; I need the house of God and my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to be utilized by the Lord in what I humbly consider to be the last of the last days. As I grow older my passion is to know Jesus more and to be used by Him for the purpose of His Kingdom. These are the sole passions of my life and I am thankful that God has placed this in my mind, heart and spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shadow316

May 21, 2014
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing wrong with leaving the Christian religion. It has become perverted and polluted over the centuries. Just don't turn your back on Jesus.

THIS. plus much of what others here have said.

these are reasons I don't consider Christianity a religion for one thing. religions are MAN BASED and FOUNDED. I stick with Christ - Christianity. I did recently read about a woman who said she wasn't calling herself a Christian anymore because it has been so perverted and diluted. That is so true.

So many who call themselves a Christian have no idea what it really means. Have not met Christ and most likely have a Bible covered with dust (if they have one). That was me for many decades. Even today I most often do a horrible job of living as if Christ lived in me. Still, we have His promises to hold on to - and when we are in these situations in life He can really do in us what He needs to do so we can grow closer to Him.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok Jesse, you've had several witnesses now tell you that it's ok for you to leave your old way of Christianity.

Try a new brand of Christianity. I have a suggestion for an experiment. Read through the four gospels. Every time you see Jesus give instructions for how his followers should live life (what they should do and not do) make a note of it. Some of them are listed as commands and some are presented as implied commands.

When you've finished, read through the list again and ask yourself if you've been applying those teachings or if you want to apply those teachings.

I think you will find that lifestyle verrry different from the usual Christian lifestyle presented today, where the emphasis is on disregarding his teachings so that we are not guilty of "working our way to Heaven".

Upvote 0
J

Jesse2014

Ok Jesse, you've had several witnesses now tell you that it's ok for you to leave your old way of Christianity.

Try a new brand of Christianity. I have a suggestion for an experiment. Read through the four gospels. Every time you see Jesus give instructions for how his followers should live life (what they should do and not do) make a note of it. Some of them are listed as commands and some are presented as implied commands.

When you've finished, read through the list again and ask yourself if you've been applying those teachings or if you want to apply those teachings.

I think you will find that lifestyle verrry different from the usual Christian lifestyle presented today, where the emphasis is on disregarding his teachings so that we are not guilty of "working our way to Heaven".

OK. I will read the gospels and make a note of the things Jesus taught.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK. I will read the gospels and make a note of the things Jesus taught.

Winston Churchill said this about democracy:

"Many forms of Gov­ern­ment have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pre­tends that democ­racy is per­fect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democ­racy is the worst form of Gov­ern­ment except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"
The same can be said for Christianity. It is the worst way to follow Christ, but it is better than all the other ways.

The problem with "sound bite Christ" (i.e. writing down all he said and living like that) is you don't live in a cave, surrounded by nothing but the bible. You live among people. You watch the news. You have opinions on things other than scripture. You have politics. That all shapes your perception. Perception is reality.

So, withdrawing from a community of believers (even in their imperfection) only magnifies your own imperfections in how you interpret scripture. There are plenty of people who have become internet prophets right here on CF. They are the people who have withdrawn from the community of believers because "others" aren't pure enough, or good enough, or don't interpret scripture "right". They come and they go. Some get kicked off and some just leave because no one agrees with their interpretations.

Every community of believers will have people of varying degrees of faith. Some are only nominal Christians and some are fully convictional Christians. Assuming that most of us fall in somewhere between those two extemes, we can let those with the better faith improve ours (iron sharpends iron) and we can improve the faith of those who have less than us. Everyone improves when we all join together in Christ's body.

Walking away from the body is like chopping off a finger. Neither you nor the finger will benefit, unless it is the finger that is gangrenous already. Even in that case, the disconnected finger will do far worse than the body that it is detached from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are right. I am not leaving. I just got offended. I have social anxiety disorder, and I don't know how to take offense well.

My brother in Christ, offense is a snare and a trap. Jesus wants to aids us oh so much when an offence rises it's ugly head within us.

I have experienced offence and at times allowed it take root within my heart, mind and spirit.

What Abba Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit truly has shown me time and time again is as follows:

-It really matters not how I am treated or what others think of me (I live under the audience of one-Jesus my Lord and Savior)

-It matters everything how I treat others (in thought, word, and deed) by allowing the Holy Spirit to manifest the love Christ through me if I am willing to be a yielded earthen vessel

When I am treated negatively there is brief sting in my heart, spirit, and mind but with the help of God I deal with it readily so that no strongholds take root.

Upvote 0

MORebelWoman

Jun 7, 2014
✟15,114.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status

I totally agree. I just fairly recently left the one denomination I had joined, got baptized in, all because of the way I treated within the one church I attended. It was ok until I once became a member and when I started asking questions that they did not like, they actually told me that I shouldn't ask questions unless it was pertaining to just the Bible. You see, I have read and studied other religions and read most of the Lost Gospels and Apocrypha and such. I would ask questions about different "holes" that I found within the Bible and that upset the pastor. I think it is because he was not able to answer it, which would not have bothered me if he would have just said that he didn't know. Anyway, I left their denomination and now consider myself completely non-denominational because I believe that the reasons there are all of the different denominations is because man has interpreted the Bible his way and not God's way.

Upvote 0
J

Jesse2014

I totally agree. I just fairly recently left the one denomination I had joined, got baptized in, all because of the way I treated within the one church I attended. It was ok until I once became a member and when I started asking questions that they did not like, they actually told me that I shouldn't ask questions unless it was pertaining to just the Bible. You see, I have read and studied other religions and read most of the Lost Gospels and Apocrypha and such. I would ask questions about different "holes" that I found within the Bible and that upset the pastor. I think it is because he was not able to answer it, which would not have bothered me if he would have just said that he didn't know. Anyway, I left their denomination and now consider myself completely non-denominational because I believe that the reasons there are all of the different denominations is because man has interpreted the Bible his way and not God's way.

Thank you for sharing. :wave:

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I am just really hurt, and I just can't tell you, because some Christians are not so nice.
You are a Christian if you follow Christ. Far too many "Christians" do not even know what Christ taught anbd thus it is no surprise they aren't acting like Christ, they are acting like the world, bcause they are of the world.

Upvote 0