LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Remember, this is a hypothetical scenario. I'm not suggesting that this will happen, and I don't believe it ever will.

But what if a Pope were to ever tell the world that Jesus Christ was wrong, that we are more enlightened, and that the Church should "get with the times" and conform to the secular world, who would you choose?

For me, my answer for this hypothetical scenario is I would choose Jesus Christ. And I would expect that Jesus would return relatively soon after that since He is God and promised that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church.

Edit:

In this hypothetical scenario, I'm not saying that it is presented as an infallible proclamation.

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Me too and I would not let the RCC doors hit me in the butt on the way out.

Remember, this is a hypothetical scenario. I'm not suggesting that this will happen, and I don't believe it ever will.

But what if a Pope were to ever tell the world that Jesus Christ was wrong, that we are more enlightened, and that the Church should "get with the times" and conform to the secular world, who would you choose?

For me, my answer for this hypothetical scenario is I would choose Jesus Christ. And I would expect that Jesus would return relatively soon after that since He is God and promised that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a difference in VII and what the OP is talking about you know. Nothing wrong with Vatican II as far as I'm concerned.

For a lot of people this already happened.

They call it Vatican II.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For a lot of people this already happened.

They call it Vatican II.
The ones who believe that are wrong to assume that about Vatican II.

Here is what Vatican II says:

"All men are called to this union with Christ, who is the light of the world, from whom we go forth, through whom we live, and toward whom our whole life strains." - Lumen Gentium, 3

"The Church is a sheepfold whose one and indispensable door is Christ. It is a flock of which God Himself foretold He would be the shepherd, and whose sheep, although ruled by human shepherds; are nevertheless continuously led and nourished by Christ Himself, the Good Shepherd and the Prince of the shepherds, who gave His life for the sheep." - Lumen Gentium, 6

"The Roman Pontiff and the bishops, in view of their office and the importance of the matter, by fitting means diligently strive to inquire properly into that revelation and to give apt expression to its contents; but a new public revelation they do not accept as pertaining to the divine deposit of faith." - Lumen Gentium, 25 (added emphasis)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
the answer to the OP is very easy to discern, because it has been happening continuously since the Reformation.
former Catholics (and even current ones!) have been styling themselves as more knowledgeable than the sitting pontiff and disagreeing with the positions of the Church for a long time now.

As a result the number of churches in opposition to Rome (and their members) have been growing by leaps and bounds.
Fortunately Rome has persevered in the truth.

And so long as she continues to stand on her firm foundation and be a beacon of light to the world, she will serve Christ and God.
Let others say what they may, there are no scales on the eyes of our Pope!

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And? There are all sorts of people out there that think something about Vatican II or the Faith in general that is misinformed. Does not mean they are correct.

They may be wrong but they are out there.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They may be wrong but they are out there.

This. We've seen waves upon waves of conspiracy theorists and half-bit theologians abandon Christ's Church do to largely imaginary problems with Papal statements. Should a Pope deny the Trinity or some such, everyone will shrug and walk out the doors, full in the knowledge that either the Christian story as we know it is in error or that the end is coming soon. I don't think we'll see that - rather, we'll continue to see wave after wave of largely irrational people show themselves out because they think they know better than the Church, just as we've always seen. You never know though, with the coming BLOOD MOON and all.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But you are failing to acknowledge the hypothetical question of a Pope stating Jesus was wrong. Has nothing to do with what you are throwing into the mix.

This. We've seen waves upon waves of conspiracy theorists and half-bit theologians abandon Christ's Church do to largely imaginary problems with Papal statements. Should a Pope deny the Trinity or some such, everyone will shrug and walk out the doors, full in the knowledge that either the Christian story as we know it is in error or that the end is coming soon. I don't think we'll see that - rather, we'll continue to see wave after wave of largely irrational people show themselves out because they think they know better than the Church, just as we've always seen. You never know though, with the coming BLOOD MOON and all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can we keep this on topic? Do you mind telling us what you would do in the hypothetical scenario that I described in the OP?

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

the point here is that we have an excellent (i mean really excellent) example of what happens to such people and their governments who decide that they
are right and the Catholic Church is wrong.

It's called the Colliseum, and what remains of it is just a stone's throw away from a thriving Catholic Church that exists world wide to proclaim the truth of Christ.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's an interesting question because much of what divides the Church has more to do with things Jesus is not recorded as having mentioned. Gay marriage is an example, Jesus was pretty silent on the issue, instead we take Paul or the Old Testament as a guide.
Jesus did say it was pretty tough for the rich to get into heaven and most churches seem to get with the secular world and take a more worldly view that extreme wealth is in fact a blessing.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus did not come to do away with the Law but to fulfill it. And if we believe in who Jesus chose as His disciples and apostolic succession as well as Jesus saying He would not leave us orphans, the gates of hell not prevailing against the Church... I think
The answer is obvious regardless of unrecorded acts and sayings left out of Scripture. JMO

I think it's an interesting question because much of what divides the Church has more to do with things Jesus is not recorded as having mentioned. Gay marriage is an example, Jesus was pretty silent on the issue, instead we take Paul or the Old Testament as a guide.
Jesus did say it was pretty tough for the rich to get into heaven and most churches seem to get with the secular world and take a more worldly view that extreme wealth is in fact a blessing.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But you are failing to acknowledge the hypothetical question of a Pope stating Jesus was wrong. Has nothing to do with what you are throwing into the mix.

I answered that, I'd leave the Church, knowing that either the Christian story was errant or the Church had fallen and the end were near.

It is a hard question to answer as asked, because we know that many of Christ's statements, removed from the context preached by His Church, have been misinterpreted. "Call no man Father" et al. Statements like this one have tripped up many Biblical literalists who lack the understanding and context Christ gave us through His Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh ok. I understand now.

I answered that, I'd leave the Church, knowing that either the Christian story was errant or the Church had fallen and the end were near.

It is a hard question to answer as asked, because we know that many of Christ's statements, removed from the context preached by His Church. "Call no man Father" et al. Statements like this one have tripped up many Biblical literalists who lack the understanding and context Christ gave us through His Church.

Upvote 0

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
Can we keep this on topic? Do you mind telling us what you would do in the hypothetical scenario that I described in the OP?

Ok, how about we change it just a little because the question is kind of broad.

What if the Pope didn't say Jesus was wrong but rather the our interpretation of what Jesus's intent was was wrong.

Example:

Christ actually never said homosexuality was sinful. What if the Pope said that the Church had been misinterpreting Paul's (and remember Paul was NOT Jesus) letters on the subject and that homosexuality was not, in fact, sinful.

Are you asking what we would do in a case like this ?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes. Because Jesus said he did not come to do away with the law but to fulfill it. He appointed his disciples and promised them the protection of the Holy Spirit. I have a hard time all that would be done away with in favor of a "new understanding" of 2000 plus years of Christian history and practice. And I'd need some hard proof. Jesus did not have to say anything about every detail of the Law. He said he did not come to change it but fulfill it. I find it scary that people would so easily be swayed from all of Christian history and teachings in favor of the wide road.

Not just because the Pope said. You have to look at the big picture. Not a single statement to trash it all.

Ok, how about we change it just a little because the question is kind of broad.

What if the Pope didn't say Jesus was wrong but rather the our interpretation of what Jesus's intent was was wrong.

Example:

Christ actually never said homosexuality was sinful. What if the Pope said that the Church had been misinterpreting Paul's (and remember Paul was NOT Jesus) letters on the subject and that homosexuality was not, in fact, sinful.

Are you asking what we would do in a case like this ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.