Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Scott...over the last 11 pages you have failed to make a coherent argument for what is a cultural custom. You have refuses to answer questions about other customs and how they relate to this "biblical mandate" you claim to know.
I would have to say that your ignorance of customs and your refusal to come right out and say where this "biblical mandate" is found in scripture leads me to believe you are full of hot air. Now...given that (and when I agree with LinkH its a red letter day), I also believe that you haven't a clue regarding biblical history or history of any other time or culture other than your little slice of Anglo-American history.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. I gave references to the scriptures in context. Do your own research.
What you have given is taken out of context and stretched to the breaking point.

My research shows no such implication of family names.

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scott...over the last 11 pages you have failed to make a coherent argument for what is a cultural custom. You have refuses to answer questions about other customs and how they relate to this "biblical mandate" you claim to know.
I would have to say that your ignorance of customs and your refusal to come right out and say where this "biblical mandate" is found in scripture leads me to believe you are full of hot air. Now...given that (and when I agree with LinkH its a red letter day), I also believe that you haven't a clue regarding biblical history or history of any other time or culture other than your little slice of Anglo-American history.
I did not address the traditions of men, but what is written. You have your warning. It's on you now: He who has an ear let him hear.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not address the traditions of men, but what is written. You have your warning. It's on you now: He who has an ear let him hear.

Taking a husband's last name IS a tradition. Show me where people had last names in the Bible? Show me one verse where someone changed their last name. Show me where people called by the Lord's name changed their last name to His.

You should only uses verses that way when you say something of substance with a serious argument.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Taking a husband's last name IS a tradition. Show me where people had last names in the Bible? Show me one verse where someone changed their last name. Show me where people called by the Lord's name changed their last name to His.

You should only uses verses that way when you say something of substance with a serious argument.
Acts 15:17

But, that's the problem. You're asking for a passage on a completely different topic. Names to people mean one thing, but to God, something different...and what that difference is, you do not perceive. I am not talking about men's names...but rather what men do with their names as head, compared to what God does with His own name as Head. Many do not do likewise, nor do they understand. God has made Himself clear, but you have not heard.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Ah, but they are NOT One.

Yes they are. My wife and I have one last name: a hyphenated name.

A hyphen is used to join ordinarily separate words into a single word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes they are. My wife and I have one last name: a hyphenated name.

A hyphen is used to join ordinarily separate words into a single word.
hy·phen
ˈhīfən/
noun
  1. 1.
    the sign (-) used to join words to indicate that they have a combined meaning or that they are linked in the grammar of a sentence (as in pick-me-up, rock-forming), to indicate the division of a word at the end of a line, or to indicate a missing or implied element (as in short- and long-term ).
"Pick" "me" "up." Which of those words is One and the same?

...Still, you are missing the point. Explaining what people have don't with names, is not the point. The point, is that we can read what God has done with His own name as Head, and pattern after His lead, as He has show that our marriage is a pattern of our marriage with Him. Or...we can disregard it...and do what people do.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
hy·phen
ˈhīfən/
noun
  1. 1.
    the sign (-) used to join words to indicate that they have a combined meaning or that they are linked in the grammar of a sentence (as in pick-me-up, rock-forming), to indicate the division of a word at the end of a line, or to indicate a missing or implied element (as in short- and long-term ).

...Still, you are missing the point. Explaining what people have don't with names, is not the point. The point, is that we can read what God has done with His own name as Head, and pattern after His lead, as He has show that our marriage is a pattern of our marriage with Him. Or...we can disregard it...and do what people do.

No, the original question was why do people join their last names.

I dunno what you are going on about your god being important: I don't think anyone else has said they joined their last name because of your god.

I may be missing YOUR point, but that's not the topic.

Hyphens join two words to make one: you forgetting to post that use of the hyphen won't change that.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the original question was why do people join their last names.

I dunno what you are going on about your god being important: I don't think anyone else has said they joined their last name because of your god.

I may be missing YOUR point, but that's not the topic.

Hyphens join two words to make one: you forgetting to post that use of the hyphen won't change that.

It was also about our "thoughts."

My thoughts on the topic, I have stated.

Your alternate definition that was not listed with google...will not change God's position (or mine).

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat

Considering that what you have been bleating about has absolutely no bearing on salvation, I will give your "warning" all the attention it deserves.

Reactions: HannahT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
hy·phen
ˈhīfən/
noun
  1. 1.

Did you miss the part about COMBINED MEANING? Again, I stand by my assessment of your reading comprehension skills.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 15:17

But, that's the problem. You're asking for a passage on a completely different topic. Names to people mean one thing, but to God, something different...and what that difference is, you do not perceive. I am not talking about men's names...but rather what men do with their names as head, compared to what God does with His own name as Head. Many do not do likewise, nor do they understand. God has made Himself clear, but you have not heard.

This is a thread about people hyphenating their last names at marriage. If you are talking about some other topic, feel free to start a thread in the appropriate forum.

Upvote 0

coloradoguy

Aug 5, 2014
Denver
✟15,419.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually took my wife's last name. To make a long story short: We thought about it, and both feel more apart of her family than mine. The way we both saw is that I was joining her family much more than she was joining mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a thread about people hyphenating their last names at marriage. If you are talking about some other topic, feel free to start a thread in the appropriate forum.
You're probably right. What relation has Light to do with darkness?

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually took my wife's last name. To make a long story short: We thought about it, and both feel more apart of her family than mine. The way we both saw is that I was joining her family much more than she was joining mine.

Did you write an article on the Internet about it? Maybe a blog post?

Upvote 0