Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will probably find myself hanging out in this forum more than others I think, even if it's not that active. I grew up a protestant Christian, and I consider myself a very liberal Christian. My husband was raised Catholic until he was 13, then his mother made a very dramatic switch to the Protestant church and began heavily condemning the Catholic church. He is 26 now, and has decided to join the Catholic church. I really don't know that much about the church, but I'm interested. I do worry that my liberalism will somehow become a problem though. Ugh. I would love to just chat with some liberal Catholics.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,595.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One hallmark of religious liberals, no matter what the denomination, is that their beliefs are not quite as cookie-cutter similar as those of more orthodox believers. I am sure you find this is true in your own church as well.

What I'm saying is that I'm glad you're here, but there may be no stereotypical "liberal Catholic." I can promise that our desire is to learn from and share with one another, and that we will interact respectfully with one another here.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Welcome to the forum! This is a fantastic place to ask a lot of your questions.

You will want to join your hubby in RCIA, which will teach you what Catholics believe and tell you honestly what is necessary for conversion. At first no commitment is necessary, although obviously you have to be committed at the end as you prepare for the rite of conversion.

When you say you are liberal, it depends on what you mean. Politically liberal is one thing, religiously liberal is another. If you don't believe in things like the virgin birth or the resurrection, RCIA will humbly challenge you to reconsider your beliefs. Ultimately, to convert you must believe what the Catholic church teaches, and honestly, if you don't, why would you want to be Catholic? There is a middle ground where you don't believe but want to believe -- this is acceptable to the Church.

Congratulations to your hubby, and good luck to you on your own journey; may you find your way.

Upvote 0