Discussion Hunger and thirst for righteousness!

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe any born-again believer is content to see through a glass dimly. When we finally see Him face to face, we won't. We all yearn for our true home.

Did you read the post that he was responding to? It is part of a conversation and he was responding to a specific point. Reading a 'reply' to a previous post as a stand alone post leads to much misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't make sense for a believer to attempt to measure the level of "hunger" in another believer.

How is he 'measuring' hunger? He is just stating that their is hunger and that there should be hunger. He was stating that "Paul hungered for his true home". That is heaven, our true home, this earth is NOT our true home.

What is wrong with that statement?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No, communion is for remembering.

I experience communion as the mystery, "Christ in you, the hope of glory." Communion is for communing, in that we remember, and in the act of remembering we glorify Christ until he returns. This glorification is supernatural power of God within us.. well for me anyway. Communion is one of those things that is altered by what you understand it to be when you take it.

Upvote 0

Winepress777

Jun 8, 2015
✟8,905.00
Faith
Christian
It's Jesus's own words that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be satisfied. It's important to note that we must first hunger and thirst to be satisfied. I've noticed that apathetic contentment is never a sign of abiding in God, but a contentment in the midst of the battle is. It's a contentment that still feels the pain of combat but trusts more that our Father and Commander knows what He is doing and loves us infinitely.

Some see grace as having once hungered and thirsted some time in a past so distant that they remember it only like some childhood memory. I see grace as God giving us that hunger when we recognize that we have lost it. He can't satisfy a hunger that we don't have.

So my question is...who's hungry, and are you hungry enough? Will you die from starvation and dehydration if you do not soon get relief, or are you just hungry enough to think that maybe you should get a little something to eat before too long? Are you hungry for a snack? Pray for more hunger. Are you starving for more of God? Take hope.
Jesus fills me with meat and drink. Then, I want more, more MORE! :) So then each day I'm filled more again, just like eating bread or drinking water, the next day I want more :) We who continue in this intense thirst toward God shall be filled, continually, day after day, just as scriptures says;

(Psa 42:1)As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
(Psa 63:1) O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
(Psa 84:2) My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
(Psa 143:6) I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.
(Isa 26:8) Yea, in the way of thy judgments, O LORD, have we waited for thee; the desire of our soul is to thy name, and to the remembrance of thee.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That is to thirst for anything spiritually in that we have all through Christ. That is true and we do not look any further than Christ. Christ is God and God is the totality of all we need.

We do however, as Jimimpa said, thirst to learn more of Christ. Thirst to be more like Him, thirst to be closer to Him. Our thirst is only in Him.

Does that make sense?

Yes. It reminds me of what David said here:

"{To the chief Musician, Maschil, for the sons of Korah.} As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?" ~Psalm 42:1-2

Job also shared similar longings for his God as he bore such suffering.

We ALL do. It is because as of yet, we do not see Him face to face, but we see as through a glass darkly. We LONG to see Him, and therefore we "thirst" for that day, look forward to it with all of our hearts.

Amen.

Upvote 0

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
I experience communion as the mystery, "Christ in you, the hope of glory." Communion is for communing, in that we remember, and in the act of remembering we glorify Christ until he returns. This glorification is supernatural power of God within us.. well for me anyway. Communion is one of those things that is altered by what you understand it to be when you take it.

1 Corinthians 11
24and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 25In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."…

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus fills me with meat and drink. Then, I want more, more MORE! :) So then each day I'm filled more again, just like eating bread or drinking water, the next day I want more :) We who continue in this intense thirst toward God shall be filled, continually, day after day, just as scriptures says;

(Psa 42:1)As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
(Psa 63:1) O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
(Psa 84:2) My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
(Psa 143:6) I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.
(Isa 26:8) Yea, in the way of thy judgments, O LORD, have we waited for thee; the desire of our soul is to thy name, and to the remembrance of thee.

I was just thinking of those same verses, and amen brother!

Upvote 0

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
How is he 'measuring' hunger? He is just stating that their is hunger and that there should be hunger. He was stating that "Paul hungered for his true home". That is heaven, our true home, this earth is NOT our true home.

What is wrong with that statement?

The OP never mentions Paul hungering for his true home.
but this...

"So my question is...who's hungry, and are you hungry enough? Will you die from starvation and dehydration if you do not soon get relief, or are you just hungry enough to think that maybe you should get a little something to eat before too long? Are you hungry for a snack? Pray for more hunger. Are you starving for more of God? Take hope."

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 11
24and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 25In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."…

You illustrate my point well, the next verse does anyway. Just to be clear, I was responding to a "no that's not it, this is" statement with a "yes, and" statement.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink the cup, ye proclaim the Lord's death till he come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
You illustrate my point well, the next verse does anyway. Just to be clear, I was responding to a "no that's not it, this is" statement with a "yes, and" statement.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink the cup, ye proclaim the Lord's death till he come.

We remember and proclaim.

Upvote 0

Winepress777

Jun 8, 2015
✟8,905.00
Faith
Christian
But praise God, we are about to be awakened in this last days. The body of Christ, the bride, is about to awaken to how we can walk in the light and be without spot or wrinkle. It is truly an exciting time to be a believer of all God has promised us. It will be to all who hunger for more of Jesus in them, those desperate for the answer as to how to walk in the world without being of it.

Many blessings, dear friend

Gideon

I'm awake :)

(Rom 13:11) And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
(1Co 15:34) Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
(Eph 5:14) Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

I walk in the Light :)

(Joh 8:12) Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
(Eph 5:8) For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
(1Jn 1:7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

All the spots and wrinkles washed away :)

(Rev 1:5) And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
(Joh 13:10) Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
(1Co 6:11) And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
(Eph 5:27) That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
(Rev 1:5) And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

And it is Now, To Day... (not some vague futuristic application)

(2Co 6:2) (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

This has been going on continually for 2000 years now, and will continue until the end of the world saving souls by the foolishness of preaching :) Thank you Jesus!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The OP never mentions Paul hungering for his true home.
but this...

"So my question is...who's hungry, and are you hungry enough? Will you die from starvation and dehydration if you do not soon get relief, or are you just hungry enough to think that maybe you should get a little something to eat before too long? Are you hungry for a snack? Pray for more hunger. Are you starving for more of God? Take hope."

But you didn't quote the OP, you 'replied' to Jiminpa. So why would we tie your comments back to the OP if you are replying to another?

That is why people reply to a specific person. To reply to what they said so people can trace back their line of thinking.

If you would have replied to the OP's post, that would have made sense somewhat.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's Jesus's own words that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be satisfied. It's important to note that we must first hunger and thirst to be satisfied. I've noticed that apathetic contentment is never a sign of abiding in God, but a contentment in the midst of the battle is. It's a contentment that still feels the pain of combat but trusts more that our Father and Commander knows what He is doing and loves us infinitely.

Some see grace as having once hungered and thirsted some time in a past so distant that they remember it only like some childhood memory. I see grace as God giving us that hunger when we recognize that we have lost it. He can't satisfy a hunger that we don't have.

So my question is...who's hungry, and are you hungry enough? Will you die from starvation and dehydration if you do not soon get relief, or are you just hungry enough to think that maybe you should get a little something to eat before too long? Are you hungry for a snack? Pray for more hunger. Are you starving for more of God? Take hope.

My prayer recently involves asking for 4 things. The fear of God; Godly sorrow; Hunger; Fellowship of Godly suffering.

The last I'm not a huge fan on but I'm working on it!

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My prayer recently involves asking for 4 things. The fear of God; Godly sorrow; Hunger; Fellowship of Godly suffering.

The last I'm not a huge fan on but I'm working on it!
Yeah, that last one is difficult. I think, ready or not, it's coming to anyone who will take a stand for righteousness, or maybe even try to warn the lost away from their own destruction. But that hunger to even work on wanting what God wants is exactly what I am talking about, and desire for those of us willing to encourage each other in.

It challenges me, thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
But you didn't quote the OP, you 'replied' to Jiminpa. So why would we tie your comments back to the OP if you are replying to another?

That is why people reply to a specific person. To reply to what they said so people can trace back their line of thinking.

If you would have replied to the OP's post, that would have made sense somewhat.

It all makes sense if you follow the intent of the thread.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It all makes sense if you follow the intent of the thread.
I sometimes will repeat a quote and then put the person's name behind it before I answer. That might help in the future.

I understand what you are saying, it's just hard enough to follow sometimes so we all need to try our best to communicate well. :wave:

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yeah, that last one is difficult. I think, ready or not, it's coming to anyone who will take a stand for righteousness, or maybe even try to warn the lost away from their own destruction. But that hunger to even work on wanting what God wants is exactly what I am talking about, and desire for those of us willing to encourage each other in.

It challenges me, thank you for sharing.

I think in the near future, the move in the Body of Christ will be one of Holiness. Not religiousness disguised as holiness, but true holiness. When that happens, you won't have to tell someone what to do and what not to do, they will just not want to do it. It's my hope that when that happens, the world will see we are different, and although not everyone will follow, more will and more will hunger after the things of God. Holiness only comes to those who are hungry for God, who have a good Godly fear, who do have Godly sorrow for sin, and when one is holy, they will experience sorrow, as you can't help but mourn for those who are lost and you can't help but be despised by those who like darkness.

Upvote 0