Hundreds of Protestant Clergy Converting to Catholicism. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This type of cynicism is poisonous to the soul. The measure used in judgement shall be applied, and "every careless word judged."
:angel:

2 Timothy 4:1 Thru-witnessing then I, before the God and the Lord Jesus Christ, of the one-being-about/mellontoV <3195> (5723) to be judging/krinein <2919> (5721) living and dead, according as the appearance/manifestation/epifaneian <2015> of Him and the Kingdom of Him

Reve 14:7 saying in great sound/voice "be being fearful! of the God, and be Ye giving! to Him glory, that came/hlqen <2064> (5627) the Hour of His judging/krisewV <2920> and worship Ye! to the One-making the heaven and the land and sea and springs of waters.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,226.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There were lots of stories of clergy going to the Catholic church when the C of E decided to ordain women.

I don't know if protestant clergy can become Catholic priests straight away, or at all, or if they would need more training. If not, they are effectively saying "we want to give up our jobs", which would be strange because they might as well just resign as vicars and stay in the C of E.
If protestant clergy are welcomed into the Catholic church as priests, then presumably those who are married will be allowed to remain so. Which means, surely, that before too long you're going to have a two-tiered system in the Catholic church - men who've renounced marriage and a family to become priests, and those who have both because they were protestants.

Could be awkward.

Upvote 0
J

JohnDeereFan

Upvote 0

Tu Es Petrus

Dec 10, 2008
✟4,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are also Catholics who convert to Christianity.....

Are you saying that Catholics are not Christians? I hope not.

Many people switch faiths for personal reasons: Their spouse is a different faith, maybe they had a bad experience, or whatever. I discount those conversions.

But protestant clergymen are usually "Bible Only" types, and when they become Catholics, they do so on scriptural grounds. And there are waves of them entering the Church.

You should watch "The Journey Home."
http://www.ewtn.com/journeyhome/index.asp

A different convert is featured every week.

prime_04_monday.jpg

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by JohnDeereFan There are also Catholics who convert to Christianity.....
Are you saying that Catholics are not Christians? I hope not
I knew that was coming ^_^

Upvote 0
J

JohnDeereFan

Are you saying that Catholics are not Christians? I hope not.

I'm not allowed to say that here.

But protestant clergymen are usually "Bible Only" types, and when they become Catholics, they do so on scriptural grounds. And there are waves of them entering the Church.

I see. So then, any other time, you put us down for our reliance on the Bible, but when an apostate uses the Bible to go to Catholicism, then you see merit in it?

You should watch "The Journey Home."

I don't allow that station in my home.

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tu Es Petrus

Dec 10, 2008
✟4,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I see. So then, any other time, you put us down for our reliance on the Bible, but when an apostate uses the Bible to go to Catholicism, then you see merit in it?

You know, most reputable theologians read the works of all sort of authors, regardless of their background. A good theologian will read the works of some of the famous Rabbinical writers, read protestant, Orthodox, and Catholic writers, plus some early Christians like a Augustine. They may even take the time to read the Koran to broaden their knowledge of what Muslims believe. They probably study a little philosophy too - perhaps read a litle Plato or Aristotle which can help a person's critical thinking. The philosophies are a good grounding to have

People with your attitude are basically close-minded. You develop a myopia because you close your eyes to whatever truths may be available from other great writers. That type of attitude breads fundamentalism, and, ultimately, error. Its the intellectual equivalent of "in-breeding".

BTW: Be careful with that word "apostate"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
People with your attitude are basically close-minded. You develop a myopia because you close your eyes to whatever truths may be available from other great writers. That type of attitude breads fundamentalism, and, ultimately, error. Its the intellectual equivalent of "in-breeding".
You aren't implying that Rome and the Papacy are free from error are ya?

http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=6870602
Roman church errors and inventions

Upvote 0

Joachim

The flag is a protest for state flags
Jan 14, 2009
Bob Riley is my governor
✟10,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

An apostate is someone who abandons their religion entirely. A person who coverts from Protestantism to Catholicism is still a Christian and therefore cannot be an apostate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

JohnDeereFan

You know, most reputable theologians read the works of all sort of authors, regardless of their background.

As a theologian, I do study other beliefs.

However, as a father and spiritual head of my household, I also have an obligation not to expose my family to heresy.

People with your attitude are basically close-minded.

Well, I'm sorry that you believe that following the Bible is closed mided, but I'm still going to follow it.

That type of attitude breads fundamentalism, and, ultimately, error.

Thanks for the blessing.

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.