Humility is Learned, Not Faked

C

Christownsme

Have you ever talked to someone who is really good at something - say someone is a really good piano player. And you compliment them. That person is either humble or proud. However, the proud person can express himself two ways - he either acts conceited or "acts" humbly.

When a person just "acts" humble, they are usually trying to draw attention to themselves that they are humble. It's kind of weird, but it happens. It would be like the Pharisees when they prayed in the crowds.

The proud person who acts conceited is actually closer to the Kingdom of Heaven than the other. They would be like the tax collector or the prostitute who are vast differently than the Pharisees.

The true humble person is only humble because the Lord has disciplined his pride. The person knows for certain his skills are a gift from God. And his reaction to a compliment doesn't have an exterior motive of drawing attention to himself. His answer is usually genuinely "Thank you" or "Praise the Lord."

I've learned this through personal experience. I am a musician also. I have been given a gift in music which surpasses many of my peers in skill level. I have struggled as a Christian with pride, and I went through the self-righteous approach of responding to a compliment with something like, "Aw, I suck. Thanks!!" I downplayed my talent on purpose to look humble. But inside I was proud.

So I was disciplined by the Lord and now I need Him daily just to get the confidence I need to perform. I see this "down playing" to look humble complex all over the great musicians who are growing into the industry. Most of them are young and haven't matured yet. So I understand. I think it's a good thing to remember as people learn to understand who they are in Christ Jesus.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever talked to someone who is really good at something - say someone is a really good piano player. And you compliment them. That person is either humble or proud. However, the proud person can express himself two ways - he either acts conceited or "acts" humbly.

When a person just "acts" humble, they are usually trying to draw attention to themselves that they are humble. It's kind of weird, but it happens. It would be like the Pharisees when they prayed in the crowds.

The proud person who acts conceited is actually closer to the Kingdom of Heaven than the other. They would be like the tax collector or the prostitute who are vast differently than the Pharisees.

The true humble person is only humble because the Lord has disciplined his pride. The person knows for certain his skills are a gift from God. And his reaction to a compliment doesn't have an exterior motive of drawing attention to himself. His answer is usually genuinely "Thank you" or "Praise the Lord."

I've learned this through personal experience. I am a musician also. I have been given a gift in music which surpasses many of my peers in skill level. I have struggled as a Christian with pride, and I went through the self-righteous approach of responding to a compliment with something like, "Aw, I suck. Thanks!!" I downplayed my talent on purpose to look humble. But inside I was proud.

So I was disciplined by the Lord and now I need Him daily just to get the confidence I need to perform. I see this "down playing" to look humble complex all over the great musicians who are growing into the industry. Most of them are young and haven't matured yet. So I understand. I think it's a good thing to remember as people learn to understand who they are in Christ Jesus.

Good post. I've noticed a change in you the last month or so, and it's wonderful to see your light shining. I know it is the Lord, but whatever you're doing, keep it up. :) God bless.

Upvote 0

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christownsme said:

Amen

Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

Good post. I've noticed a change in you the last month or so, and it's wonderful to see your light shining. I know it is the Lord, but whatever you're doing, keep it up. :) God bless.

Hey brother,

I am treated with Lithium for bipolar, and I had a toxic level for months. A simple blood test confirmed it. I think clearly now that the levels are more normal. It makes me feel good that you noticed. You made my day.

Upvote 0

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey brother,

I am treated with Lithium for bipolar, and I had a toxic level for months. A simple blood test confirmed it. I think clearly now that the levels are more normal. It makes me feel good that you noticed. You made my day.
Praise God !:amen:

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey brother,

Praise the Lord! So happy to hear that you were set free from that terrible condition. I posted not only because I noticed and was happy for you, but because the Lord put it on my heart. He cares for you very much. God bless.

Upvote 0

Bjornke

May 8, 2011
Visit site
✟8,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is very true for some! However I have seen many who really don't believe they are good! They look ashamed to be complimented. I don't know if it is because they have low self-esteem and don't like the wanted attention but I was this way. I hated being complimented, it scared me and I always stopped whatever it was that was getting me compliments. I too, have been prideful in the past, but I was very ashamed of attention for a while too.

I remember once playing Tuba and being told I was good at it, even though when they said that to me the first thing that ran into my mind was "I am NOT. I just played the wrong partial three times in a row" so I simply said "Thanks..." in a low voice. Now, after playing for some time, I got prideful because I was known as the excessively LOUD tuba player. When someone told me I was playing loud, I'd say something like "nah, only needs a little volume!"

Now, I try to play honestly and when someone says I'm good I say "Thank you, you are doing very well yourself" or offer a compliment in return, and acknowledge them too.

To this day, I still dislike being put in a place of praise. I would much rather give out praise and compliments than ever receive them.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We teach children to say 'thank you' long before that can feel anything approaching true gratitude. Likewise, you were taught to say humble words long before you knew true humility. See how your Father has been working? :)

Upvote 0