Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I suppose chaplains are chaplains, regardless of man recognized titles. A good service is always welcome in any situation, as long as it's actually for good.

So, you'd be in favor of the military adopting them?

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I suppose you mean Secular Humanist or atheist chaplains. Why not? Since atheism is a faith, and the military has chaplains in a number of faiths, why not this one?

I'm not going to get into how it is not, but good to hear.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not going to get into how it is not, but good to hear.
It's good you are not going to get into it, because then you don't have to have your delusion exposed. But let me give you a homework assignment:

Read this carefully:

"The only distinct meaning of the word 'natural' is stated, fixed, or settled; since what is natural as much requires and presupposes an intelligent agent to render it so, i.e., to effect it continually or at stated times, as what is supernatural or miraculous does to effect it for once." Butler: Analogy of Revealed Religion.

To be an atheist, you must believe that Butler is wrong, that what is "natural" does not require the supernatural. Right? So now, tell me how you prove that natural does not require the supernatural to work. Without that proof, isn't atheism a faith? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's good you are not going to get into it, because then you don't have to have your delusion exposed. But let me give you a homework assignment:

Read this carefully:

"The only distinct meaning of the word 'natural' is stated, fixed, or settled; since what is natural as much requires and presupposes an intelligent agent to render it so, i.e., to effect it continually or at stated times, as what is supernatural or miraculous does to effect it for once." Butler: Analogy of Revealed Religion.

To be an atheist, you must believe that Butler is wrong, that what is "natural" does not require the supernatural. Right? So now, tell me how you prove that natural does not require the supernatural to work. Without that proof, isn't atheism a faith? :)

I took a non-aggressive "difference of opinion" road, in my comments regarding our opinions/definitions, instead of trying to belittle you.

Your own insecurity showing, by your need to "show me", with your attempts to expose others "delusions".

Ironically, you are acting like the "typical unnecessarily aggressive atheist", Christians complain about.

I pity you.

Neither you nor I can prove nor disprove that "natural" does not require the "supernatural".

That is why your quote is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I took a non-aggressive "difference of opinion" road, in my comments regarding our opinions/definitions, instead of trying to belittle you.
With respect, no you didn't. You took the typical atheist route of trying to gain an epistemological advantage over me. I only have a "belief", you don't. So yes, you did try to belittle my beliefs and exert the superiority of atheism.

Your own insecurity showing, by your need to "show me", with your attempts to expose others "delusions".

Sorry, there is no insecurity. My theistic beliefs are my beliefs. I clearly label my theism as such. However, the claim "it [atheism] is not [a faith]" is a delusion. Atheism is a faith.

Neither you nor I can prove nor disprove that "natural" does not require the "supernatural".

That is why your quote is irrelevant.
Your statement makes it very relevant to your claim that atheism is not a faith. If neither can prove, then both theism and atheism is a faith. You have faith that natural happens on its own. So explain to us how the inability to disprove that natural requires the supernatural is not relevent to atheism not being a faith.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
With respect, no you didn't. You took the typical atheist route of trying to gain an epistemological advantage over me. I only have a "belief", you don't. So yes, you did try to belittle my beliefs and exert the superiority of atheism.

Sorry, there is no insecurity. My theistic beliefs are my beliefs. I clearly label my theism as such. However, the claim "it [atheism] is not [a faith]" is a delusion. Atheism is a faith.

Your insecurity lies in your incorrect thoughts that I was trying to gain some advantage.

The world is not out to get you and there is no conspiracy to hide it.

Your statement makes it very relevant to your claim that atheism is not a faith. If neither can prove, then both theism and atheism is a faith. You have faith that natural happens on its own. So explain to us how the inability to disprove that natural requires the supernatural is not relevent to atheism not being a faith.

When you don't know about something, do you say you believe you don't know it?

If you don't yet even know what that "something" is, how do you go about believing in it or not?

Are you saying you have to have faith in not knowing what you don't know?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Humanist Chaplains in the military.

Thoughts?

When i first saw this come up I thought it was nuts. Now I think it's a good idea, if they serve in a support capacity. The main reason is the logistics; other forms of counseling aren't available in many places people are deployed. Chaplains are. If people in need of support won't avail themselves of it for fear of having religion rammed down their throat, that doesn't contribute to the effectiveness of our military.

The other option would be to deploy troops by religion, so they have a Chaplain :D Which I find to be rather ironic

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I've wondered whether it makes sense for the government to pay chaplains any more. It's a pretty direct establishment of religion, and it leaves the government in the position of deciding what are acceptable religions. I wonder whether the Christian community shouldn't find a way to supply chaplains, and have a way for them to register with the military.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've wondered whether it makes sense for the government to pay chaplains any more. It's a pretty direct establishment of religion, and it leaves the government in the position of deciding what are acceptable religions. I wonder whether the Christian community shouldn't find a way to supply chaplains, and have a way for them to register with the military.

I think that is why people are fighting to put humanist chaplain in the military, if it's tax-payer funded.

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

When i first saw this come up I thought it was nuts. Now I think it's a good idea, if they serve in a support capacity. The main reason is the logistics; other forms of counseling aren't available in many places people are deployed. Chaplains are. If people in need of support won't avail themselves of it for fear of having religion rammed down their throat, that doesn't contribute to the effectiveness of our military.

The other option would be to deploy troops by religion, so they have a Chaplain :D Which I find to be rather ironic

We should just stop military altogether, since it isn't worth believing in.

Upvote 0