KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The chemical itself doesn't seem to cause any problems in humans. It's the other chemicals that are used with pesticides that cause the issues.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.html

Until any facts show that this is a harmful substance (to anything except plants, anyways), I don't see a reason to get upset.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My problem is why is this in waters and food. I don't like the thought of this. I can't imagine the crap that is in US mothers breast milk. How are they going to fix the problem?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The chemical itself doesn't seem to cause any problems in humans. It's the other chemicals that are used with pesticides that cause the issues.

Until any facts show that this is a harmful substance (to anything except plants, anyways), I don't see a reason to get upset.

Well, you have to keep in mind...some are convinced that Monsanto is the devil...and their distaste for large powerful companies makes them more prone to embrace the boogeyman stories that get circulated.

Neil Degrasse Tyson did a great bit on the GMO topic and made an interesting point that his theory is that people wouldn't be as up in arms if the industry was controlled by a dozen or so medium sized companies instead of one really big powerful one because in this day in age, it's become avant garde or cool to distrust large companies.

There was a thread circulating around this topic a month or so ago, and like in every other thread on the subject, I've posted the same studies by the same objective researchers that suggest that without GMOs and the right pesticides, the world wouldn't be able to sustain the food demand in some regions.

...and each time, without fail, the same handful of people attempt to rebuttal that with links from a handful of very bias organic advocacy websites.

While the organic method works better for certain types of berries and fruits in terms of yield, the same is not true for the 'powerhouse' row crops that many regions look to for sustainment. The positive impact of a 10% yield increase in raspberries and blueberries wouldn't offset the devastation that would be the 20% reduction of the necessity row crops if they scrapped the current method and tried to go organic.

Upvote 0

Caretaker

Jun 7, 2013
✟18,132.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married

Ummmm.... you missed the fact that glyphosate is NOT ALLOWED in drinking water in concentrations more than .1 ng??

Why do you imagine that it's not allowed in drinking water??

That would be because it has been found to be HARMFUL in concentrations greater than that.

Yet it's now found in concentrations more than four times greater in breast milk.

And breast milk is, of course, the sole nourishment for new born babies, and babies have been shown to be much more susceptible to the negative effects of herbicides than adults.

Upvote 0