Huffington Post writer calls Catholicism "the Jesus-eating cult of Rick Santorum"...

iLogos

Gal 5:16 So Walk In The Spirit!
Jan 24, 2012
✟1,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
roughly 53% of the US population is protestant and about 24% are catholic

Read more: Are there more Catholics or Protestants in the US

I was listening to a Catholic radio station last month and they were discussing the dramatic decline in Catholics and what can be done to hang on to what they have and gain more and win more back.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

I was listening to a Catholic radio station last month and they were discussing the dramatic decline in Catholics and what can be done to hang on to what they have and gain more and win more back.

You never hinted at U.S. alone:

Again, you can't say most Christians follow the Catholic theology, Lutherans and other Catholic Lites don't count. Most Protestants don't believe they are eating and drinking the actual flesh of Jesus and his blood.

Unless you can provide actual statics to back your assumption, I suggest we leave it at that because I would want sources :)

Also, if you're going to use reliable sources, Answers.com is not the place to go. Why? Where did the user provide such numbers? This link says that 51.9% of Christians in the U.S. fall under Protestantism.

This one has Roman Catholicism at 25%.

But even with that said, you still omit the the few Protestant faiths that do believe the Eucharist is the physical body of Christ:

Lutheran: 5.1%
Presbyterian/Reformed: 3.8%
Methodist: 3.6%
Anglican: 1.5%

Of those 51.9%, you are left with only 37.9%.

And let us not forget the Orthodox.

As for what you heard on the radio, I also heard a high number of young Creationists, as well as those living along the Bible Belt, are leaving Christianity in droves.

As a matter of fact:

myth1e.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Christianity is not an "American" religion.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HuffPo is a cowardly publication, run by cowards, and staffed by cowards.

Would they try something like this with Islam? You can bet your last dollar they wouldn't.

But it's easy to pick on the Catholic Church, because they know the Catholic Church won't fight back----whereas if they pulled something like this with Islam, it would result in their offices getting firebombed and fatwas issued on everybody from old Arianna right on down to the janitor.

Thus, they are cowards. They like to think they're progressive and "cutting edge", but all they really amount to are the usual mealy-mouthed, tiresome, cowardly liberals.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree that Larry Doyle was extremely offensive, and I don't think that it does liberalism any good when Doyle lambasts a belief shared by all Catholics just because there is an extremist politician out there who shares those beliefs. Truth be told, Santorum is probably an embarrassment to many Catholics, but that doesn't mean that they appreciate some columnist criticizing their core beliefs.

Mr. Doyle, Santorum is on the fringe--nowhere near the middle of the bell curve.

His over-the-top statements bear no one's imprimaturs, certainly not mine.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry if I made any one uncomfortable not my intent. I merely wanted to point out that the OP was misleading and wanted to clarify that. We some how have gone off topic and I really do not care to argue who's church is bigger.

God Bless!

Whether it's satire or not, it was disgusting. A lot of white supremacist web sites have a plethora of satirical material; however, one would have to be a bonafide fool to defend that kind of feces.

This "satire" piece is no different.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Larry Doyle’s “Jesus-Eating Cult”
BY Harold Fickett

The reaction of Catholic leaders to Larry Doyle’s satiric piece at HuffPo this week, “The Jesus-Eating Cult of Rick Santorum,” has been exactly the wrong reaction. We have taken offense, demanded apologies of Arianna Huffington, and asked that we please…

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums