Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will tell you why not. My Catholic brothers and sisters...it is very serious business to vote for anyone who endorses abortion...They can actually be excommunicated for it, not that the Pope or Bishops have a secret police finding out who is voting for Pro-Choice candidates. However, I do want to point out that it is no light thing to Catholics.

Lisa

As you say - there are Catholics who will vote for a Pro-Choice candidate. That's different from only endorsing abortion!

But that's a whole different debate and not for here! :)

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If Huckabee is representing all Americans then will he be visiting some other religions' worship services? Following the logic...

Actually, he should do exactly that!

Or are Muslims, Buddists, Hindu etc. not Americans as well?

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As you say - there are Catholics who will vote for a Pro-Choice candidate. That's different from only endorsing abortion!

But that's a whole different debate and not for here! :)

I agree that it is quite a different debate. I won't argue that here. I just wanted you to understand that it is kind of a big deal for devout Catholics.

Those who are out of communion and rarely darken the door of the church perhaps may not worry so much about disobeying the directives of the Pope much less Scripture.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't give up on him guys. I am sorry that it happened, but on the issues that unite us all, he is the ONLY candidate that we can vote for.

If it came down to it and Huckabee said he was anti-Catholic but still held his ground on abortion and gay marriage, wouldn't it be better to swallow the insult and insure the morality of this country?

I understand. I sympathize. I truly do. If the shoe were on the other foot, I might feel as you do as well, but please, please look at the bigger picture.

You may get someone who is quite sympathetic to Catholics, but they could also be very liberal on the social issues as well.

Lisa

Where do you get the idea that gay marriage and abortion are the things that unite you all? You do realize he is also pro-death penalty. Why isn't thar the issue that unites Christians against Huckabee?

Where did you ever get the idea that God only cares about abortion and gay marriage, and wants you to vote simply on those issues? If those issues are important to you, fine, but when you say they should be the most important issues for everyone, you're basically saying that God has told you this, and I highly doubt that is the case.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where do you get the idea that gay marriage and abortion are the things that unite you all? You do realize he is also pro-death penalty. Why isn't thar the issue that unites Christians against Huckabee?

Where did you ever get the idea that God only cares about abortion and gay marriage, and wants you to vote simply on those issues? If those issues are important to you, fine, but when you say they should be the most important issues for everyone, you're basically saying that God has told you this, and I highly doubt that is the case.

Sorry, I don't play the 2+2=5 game.

There is nothing in my posts that signifies what you have written here.

Carry on as you were.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I could vote, I would vote for Ron Paul, it´s the best option, clearly, less immigration, a humble foreign politics. And respect clearly my catholic convictions, not use like the republicans or destroy like democrats.

That is another option and I forgot about him. The point is that we have to vote for the man that God would raise up for us that will to the best of his ability lead this country down a righteous path.

Tell me more about Ron Paul. I know quite a bit about Huckabee, but I am interested in hearing more about Mr. Paul.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is another option and I forgot about him. The point is that we have to vote for the man that God would raise up for us that will to the best of his ability lead this country down a righteous path.

Tell me more about Ron Paul. I know quite a bit about Huckabee, but I am interested in hearing more about Mr. Paul.

Lisa

Yeah vote for Ron Paul! You'll still lose but at least you didn't vote for a candidate that supported abortion. Man I'd like a slice of pizza right about now.

If it gives you any more confidence in Huckabee he has as of late, been courting the Christian Reconstructionist movement. They of course believe in forcing people to conform to Biblical laws (which ones exactly haven't really been decided yet). Now they will stone gays and women who attempt to think about having an abortion (just like you apparently want), but I'm afraid they don't think Catholics are "true Christians" either so you may find yourself being stoned as well. Maybe if you convert that won't happen.

The threshold for me will be if that Federal Marriage Amendment ever becomes part of the Constitution. Then I'll be moving up to Canada and seek political refugee status.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My extended Catholic family is very liberal and will most likely be voting Democrat. Again. They are they type who live their faith while wanting good political leadership for the country. Imposing their faith is the farthest thing on their minds and they are NOT single issue people. It's funny how some Catholics don't realize this is happening all over. But my family is very well educated and intelligent, and I can't comment on anyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Imposing their faith is the farthest thing on their minds and they are NOT single issue people. It's funny how some Catholics don't realize this is happening all over.

History alone should make them think twice. Faith CANNOT be imposed anyway. When religions start talking about holding a gun to your head to make you obey they've already missed the point.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Go ahead, keep voting just on the basis of abortion. Look how many times Bush the Lesser has tried to overthrow abortion laws in the last seven years.
The reason people vote single issues is becasue it's so simple and no thinking is involved.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The reason people vote single issues is becasue it's so simple and no thinking is involved.

I find that insulting. I vote for the candidate whose stand on the issues most closely matches my own. I would imagine that most Americans do.

Exactly how do you choose a candidate?

Lisa

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I don't play the 2+2=5 game.

There is nothing in my posts that signifies what you have written here.

Carry on as you were.

Lisa

Please, don't carry on like you don't know what you said.

Quote:
Don't give up on him guys. I am sorry that it happened, but on the issues that unite us all, he is the ONLY candidate that we can vote for.

If it came down to it and Huckabee said he was anti-Catholic but still held his ground on abortion and gay marriage, wouldn't it be better to swallow the insult and insure the morality of this country?

I understand. I sympathize. I truly do. If the shoe were on the other foot, I might feel as you do as well, but please, please look at the bigger picture.

You may get someone who is quite sympathetic to Catholics, but they could also be very liberal on the social issues as well.

Lisa

You either work for Huckabee, or my point stands.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find that insulting. I vote for the candidate whose stand on the issues most closely matches my own. I would imagine that most Americans do.

Lisa

I choose my candidate by the policies they can change.

In my first year of polisci, I learned that Huckabee can't make an amednment regarding abortion.

It's amazing what an education can do for you.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Lisa
I also vote this way but a candidates stand on abortion plays a big part in how I vote.

Upvote 0

Phylogeny

Veteran
Dec 28, 2004
✟2,426.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Abortion is not a huge issue with me....mostly because stuff like foreign policy, war and social programs will affect more children and babies than any abortion policy every will.

A prolife president isn't going to be more likely to save AIDS ridden children in Africa or bring more food to starving children in North Korea, so it makes no sense to base a person's presidency on something that has little bearing on saving the lives of innocent young lives. I have no seen no proof that the pro-life politicians have been saving more babies from death, disease or hunger in this country or any other simply because they want to put more restrictions on abortion laws.

As for Catholics, traditionally they have voted Democrat for economic reasons, but now are split evenly between the two parties for social reasons. For every Catholic that I know who is prolife, I have known Catholics who are anti-death penalty, pro-environment, serious advocates of social justice. Catholics are hardly a monolithic group and their values are spread across the political spectrum.

Upvote 0

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Go ahead, keep voting just on the basis of abortion. Look how many times Bush the Lesser has tried to overthrow abortion laws in the last seven years.

You mean all of Zilch times? Because his stance on abortion was just to trick single-issue voters into thinking he actually cared about their single-issue? ;)

Upvote 0