Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Rising Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee risked his standing with Catholic voters on Sunday by courting his evangelical base at the church of a controversial preacher accused of disparaging Catholics.

There are a few remnants of anti-Catholicism among evangelical Christians in the South but the two sides have found much common political ground over the past three decades in their strident opposition to abortion and gay marriage.

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN2326769820071223

Looks like I'll have to reconsider voting for Huckabee. I may not vote for him if he chooses to continue this behavior.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah right. Catholics will vote for Huckabee or any other candidate the Republicans happen to prop up. What are they gonna do? Vote Hillary? LOL.
You are right. Catholics will likely vote for any Republican candidate that is nominated as long as that candidate is not Giuliani. However, I honestly don't see what is so funny about that. I, as a faithful Catholic, could never vote for a pro-choice candidate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You are right. Catholics will likely vote for any Republican candidate that is nominated as long as that candidate is not Giuliani. However, I honestly don't see what is so funny about that. I, as a faithful Catholic, could never vote for a pro-choice candidate.

They'll vote for Rudy too and hope he'll nominate "Pro-life" Supreme Court Justices.

Its funny because they all talk tough about "oh we'll stay home unless candidates bow to our particular interpretation of the Bible" but they'll throw their "morals" out the window if a Democrat starts to advance in the polls. In otherwords: its so pathetic its funny.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
They'll vote for Rudy too and hope he'll nominate "Pro-life" Supreme Court Justices.

Its funny because they all talk tough about "oh we'll stay home unless candidates bow to our particular interpretation of the Bible" but they'll throw their "morals" out the window if a Democrat starts to advance in the polls. In otherwords: its so pathetic its funny.

Thanks for grouping us all together, mate. I'll let you know right now that if I could vote in the US, I'd never vote for a republican no matter what.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know where this "Catholics will be voting Republican" idea comes from.

As much as they are at odds morally with Democrats in areas such as gay marriage and abortion, they are morally at odds with Republicans as well, with immigration, the environment, and the death penalty.

With those issues on the table, the President can't do anything about abortion (no one can, it's here to stay, especially in an evenly divided country), or gay marriage.

He does have some effect on the other issues, though (except maybe the death penalty).

And then there is the evolution issue.

I really think Catholics will be voting Democrat this year.

ETA: Historically, Catholics vote Democrat. Bush pulled the Catholic vote simply because he got the Latino vote (which some would argue is more important than the Evangelical vote... which is, by the way, why BUsh and some Republicans are pushing for a comprehensive immigration plan. They realize they need those Latino votes to remain in power. With Republicans winning two of the closest elections in our history in the last 8 years, that Latino vote makes the difference). And, this time around, it doesn't look like Republicans will be pulling the Latino vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The most pathetic part of this whole thing is, people are more concerned about the mans religion than his actual political views.

It's just these kind of sheep that got us 8 years of bush.

Yep, and it's interesting to watch the internal fight within the party. Some Republicans hate Huckabee for this reason, while others love him for this reason. It looks like control of the party will be decided in this election. And, to be honest, if the religious right wins, it may be the end of the Republican party, because what are the other Republicans going to do? Stay in the party, or flee?

Upvote 0

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And, to be honest, if the religious right wins, it may be the end of the Republican party, because what are the other Republicans going to do? Stay in the party, or flee?

The answer: Stay in the party and continue to cynically manipulate the Religious Right while paying lipservice to their religion.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't give up on him guys. I am sorry that it happened, but on the issues that unite us all, he is the ONLY candidate that we can vote for.

If it came down to it and Huckabee said he was anti-Catholic but still held his ground on abortion and gay marriage, wouldn't it be better to swallow the insult and insure the morality of this country?

I understand. I sympathize. I truly do. If the shoe were on the other foot, I might feel as you do as well, but please, please look at the bigger picture.

You may get someone who is quite sympathetic to Catholics, but they could also be very liberal on the social issues as well.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, why not? Not all Catholics are of the ultra-conservative brand!:)

I will tell you why not. My Catholic brothers and sisters...it is very serious business to vote for anyone who endorses abortion...They can actually be excommunicated for it, not that the Pope or Bishops have a secret police finding out who is voting for Pro-Choice candidates. However, I do want to point out that it is no light thing to Catholics.

Lisa

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0