Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A lot of times, Christians focus on themselves, and seem to forget that Jesus came for the sinners and the lost. We need to truly love our neighbors as ourselves.

let's make use of the forum then. The above quote is from Erwin's 'new forum' thread.

So how have we been influencing the world?
*dubious look* the record looks quite smudged..

Echoes Peak

Willing Servant
Nov 4, 2003
✟8,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Blessed-one said:
let's make use of the forum then. The above quote is from Erwin's 'new forum' thread.

I would suspect that we should spend time interacting with others whom are "different" from us. Often, we, us Christians, wittingly or unwittingly, interact only amongst ourselves predominately, and we fail to reach out to others whom may not be part of our clique/community/unit or whatever. When do so often enough, we begin to develop this "us" against "them" mentality and then start to harp on what divides us as human beings and forget that whether we like someone or not, they, too, are made in God's image. I think if we took that approach more often, instead of rehashing someone's shortcomings, we can begin to become more progressive in our outreach.

Upvote 0
I

indigo tree

Echoes Peak said:
I would suspect that we should spend time interacting with others whom are "different" from us. Often, we, us Christians, wittingly or unwittingly, interact only amongst ourselves predominately, and we fail to reach out to others whom may not be part of our clique/community/unit or whatever. When do so often enough, we begin to develop this "us" against "them" mentality and then start to harp on what divides us as human beings and forget that whether we like someone or not, they, too, are made in God's image. I think if we took that approach more often, instead of rehashing someone's shortcomings, we can begin to become more progressive in our outreach.
Here, here. I think it's great CF opened a forum like this. It's much needed.

Upvote 0
I

indigo tree

I'm taking a social justice class this semester, so this really interests me.:)

And just to expand on what you said echo, it's good to have a forum so where all of us Christians can come together on common ground and work towards acheiving something together. Also, social justice issues seemed to be pushed to the side, even on this mb. And if we do talk about it, we tend focuses on who's right and who's wrong instead of what we could do about it. (I have to admit I've been guilty of being apart of those discussions to often.)

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
indigo tree said:
Also, social justice issues seemed to be pushed to the side, even on this mb. And if we do talk about it, we tend focuses on who's right and who's wrong instead of what we could do about it. (I have to admit I've been guilty of being apart of those discussions to often.)

yes, though it does well in learning more about the other sides...
i think here is like a very tiny version of the world, that even though christians are accepted and approved, we still fight among ourselves more.

Upvote 0

Echoes Peak

Willing Servant
Nov 4, 2003
✟8,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Blessed-one said:
yes, though it does well in learning more about the other sides...
i think here is like a very tiny version of the world, that even though christians are accepted and approved, we still fight among ourselves more.

I think it helps to also put things in perspective. I think there is a hierachy of importance to certain aspects of life. Sometimes, I find that as an individual, I get bent out of shape over something minute, but absolute, serious circumstances are occurring at the same time within my own community and beyond, and I don't get nearly as worked up. Maybe, if as individuals, we devoted more times to thinking about ways can demonstrate acts of love and kindess to not just those we like, but especially those we don't or not comfortable around, maybe we can become progressive in our outreach to others.

Upvote 0

SeRapH&CheRi

Sassy GurlMember!
Apr 3, 2002
eastcoastoftheusa
✟6,276.00
Faith
Christian
Blessed-one said:

It is unfortunate that we, as Christians, have the tendency to be ego-centric, self-centered, etc.... at least I know I tend to. Echoes Peak, you took the words right out of my mouth - we can talk the talk, however, what is most important is our actions. It's our actions that can influence those around us and one way which can effect change.

I just had another thought - by loving God and being in a close, intimate relationship with him, the fruit of this love and relationship would be the desire to serve others. Am I correct? Love God, serve people. That's what we've been called to do. :)

Upvote 0

Echoes Peak

Willing Servant
Nov 4, 2003
✟8,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, I, for one, am learning a lot right now. I'm currently working doing short term missions in the Washington, DC area. We get youth groups from all over the country, who come to do short term missions and learn about the urban ministry in the inner city. I have been blessed to meet and see people that have gone into some of the most horrible neighborhoods in the country in order to work with those who are in need. It encourages me to see how steadfast and willing some have been to not just talk about Christian love but to actually demonstrate. It's so powerful sometimes, that you can't even put it into words. And I guess sometimes you don't have to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rogsr

May 5, 2004
✟1,050.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Echoes Peak,
I used to volunteer almost everyday at the Washington City Church of the Bretheren soup kitchen, when I was a marine stationed in DC. Have you ever been there? It is right off of Penn. Ave. in the SE, between the "eastern market" and "first street" exits of Metro rail. I think the intersection is 4th and ...??? maybe north carolina???

Upvote 0

rogsr

May 5, 2004
✟1,050.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I did most of my volunteering in 2001. Then I was transferred and didn't come back until december of 2002. Is Terry the Chaplain still there? How about Pastor Alice? If you ever go there tell Terry, Alice, and Quinn that Sean Rogers said hello. I hope they remember me :) they have hard work there. Small world :)

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Social Justice seems to mean different things to different people. To me it means speaking out for and supporting those who are not getting justice. The Bible talks about God being on the side of the weak, the poor and the oppressed and I suppose that means Christians should join him there.

One injustice that I think should be put right is the ridiculously low prices that third world agricultural and factory workers are paid for their labour. Not only is it immoral that we in the West/North should live in the lap of luxury enjoying the fruit of their labours while they can't get enough to eat or pay for medical bills when they or their children are ill, it is one of the factors that fuels resentment and so feeds terrorism.

Trade Justice is an important "weapon" in the "fight against terrorism" but politicians are reluctant to use it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Well, rogsr, it isn't simple, I'll grant you, but in Britain there is a growing market in Fairtrade products and many are widely available in the supermarkets, so buying them helps producers get a fair wage, although this only helps a minority at the moment.

There is also a growing Trade Justice movement in this country and people who support it send pre-written postcards and e-mails to Government Ministers and other Members of Parlaiment, which are having some effect, although again there is much more that could be done. Pressure is also being put on manufacturers of products such as clothing and computers. These things are bound to take time as people need to adjust to new ways of thinking and of doing things, but as long as we move steadily and not too slowly towards a fairer system of trade things can drastically improve.

The Fairtrade Mark was introduced in Britain ten years ago and today one in four members of the public now recognises the FAIRTRADE Mark. Fair trade sales have risen by 90% in the last two years and new fairly traded products continue to appear on our supermarkets shelves – more than 130 products now carry the FAIRTRADE Mark, including coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa, fruit juice, sugar, honey and fresh fruit .

Upvote 0