Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I really got a kick out of learning about who this Angelo Stagnaro is. The article had something of the charlatan about it--and personally, I don't see what's wrong with trying to experience God's presence in every moment of our lives.

And so, I thought, who is this "blogger" anyway? I googled him. He has blogged almost everywhere. And on the U.S. Catholic bio page, I learned the truth: "Angelo Stagnaro is a journalist, author, and stage magician who performs in Europe and North America ."

I just found this kind of hilarious. A stage magician, dedicated to pulling the wool over our eyes, perhaps engaging in hypnotism and who knows what else, tells us this gluttony can be found in "paganism, New Age practices, and magic." And so I thought, "Yeah, he is a charlatan."

Ignore this guy. Ignore this article.

If you experience God's presence in your daily life today, sing a prayer of gratitude.

I'm not a magician, just a woman with common sense. You're welcome.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
FYI, Google is a search engine. Google itself is only an intermediary between researcher and sources.

There is a reasonable chance that the original poster found this article by a magician-who-blogs-about-religion either on a search engine or on Facebook.

Even funnier--I researched further. He is a "mentalist" who has written a book about mentalism.

The first book of Angelo Stagnaro's Psi-Books Series is aptly named "Conspiracy". It is a textbook on practical mentalism and concentrates on partnered codes and other secret arrangements between a mentalist and his confederate.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4857

Perhaps he has made his living by preying on "spiritual gluttons" and laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know what his gig is, but I wouldn't consider him an expert on spiritual gluttony, or anything else religious.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are you so into slandering this guy? What exactly in the article is so incorrect and riles you up so much?
FYI, Google is a search engine. Google itself is only an intermediary between researcher and sources.

There is a reasonable chance that the original poster found this article by a magician-who-blogs-about-religion either on a search engine or on Facebook.

Even funnier--I researched further. He is a "mentalist" who has written a book about mentalism.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4857

Perhaps he has made his living by preying on "spiritual gluttons" and laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know what his gig is, but I wouldn't consider him an expert on spiritual gluttony, or anything else religious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
His downplaying religious experience as being suspect or having little value piqued my interest in knowing what credentials the writer had. I think that religious experience is very important in nurturing faith (not to mention establishing faith at all).

And so I saw, first that he was a blogger. I googled his name. I found out he was a stage magician and a mentalist, involved in the very kinds of chicanery he was warning people against.

I don't look at posting his credentials as slandering him, although I do believe that they lower his credibility.

While I do not recommend seeking out for profit spiritual advisors, the article was very cynical. I think that most of us are spiritual seekers--and there are certainly much worse things we can be seeking.

I admit--if I had found his insights to be profound instead of cynical, I would not have looked at his credentials. Someone else might have. But I did--and found them wanting.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His downplaying religious experience as being suspect or having little value piqued my interest in knowing what credentials the writer had. I think that religious experience is very important in nurturing faith (not to mention establishing faith at all).

And so I saw, first that he was a blogger. I googled his name. I found out he was a stage magician and a mentalist, involved in the very kinds of chicanery he was warning people against.

I don't look at posting his credentials as slandering him, although I do believe that they lower his credibility.

While I do not recommend seeking out for profit spiritual advisors, the article was very cynical. I think that most of us are spiritual seekers--and there are certainly much worse things we can be seeking.

I admit--if I had found his insights to be profound instead of cynical, I would not have looked at his credentials. Someone else might have. But I did--and found them wanting.
You always do with those you disagree with and go on to weave a story. He was not downplaying real religious experience at all. He was downplaying those that seek it out at any means or cost. That expect it at all times. Even if it is pedaled by a snake oil salesman. God does not always work in sensational ways. Have you not read anything by St. John of the Cross? There was nothing at all wrong with the article and he wrote it about partaking in real, authentic experience. If he is a stage magician and mentalist, it does not mean he is a charlatan. I'm sure he is quite aware of the scams disguised as true spirituality. You jumped to conclusions on this. He did not downplay anything. But the very things the Church warns us about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You did not upset me at all. I did not find him particularly inspiring. But your reaction peaked my interest for sure.
I am sorry I upset you by questioning the credentials of a blogger whose work you found inspiring. Nevertheless, I find his credentials not only inadequate but suspect/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the greatest magicians of the 20th century was a Marianist brother.

Of all the performing arts, very few people actively dislike stage magic. It's the principal reason I remain gainfully employed. That, and my incredible humility. You'll regularly find people that are bored with opera and flummoxed by modern dance, but what kind of misanthrope doesn't like a good card trick? Who doesn't want to see a bunny pulled out of a hat....

Continued below.
http://www.ncregister.com/blog/asta...s-of-the-20th-century-was-a-marianist-brother

Upvote 0