Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been thinking about this...how did Jesus choose who would be His closest disciples? I see that in some places He went to them and said "Follow me", and yet in other places they just asked to follow Him.

The reason I am curious is because I think it may have been the same way they were to choose who would be deacons in the book of Acts. I just would like to know what others think about how they were chosen?

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He picked people who were hungry for Love and Truth. He didn't use someone with a lot of education in the law because sometimes people who have knowledge are less likely to follow. For instance at that time someone who studied the law for years would think that had enough knowledge and would not be hungry to learn under Jesus. That is why he used Fishermen and Tax collectors who knew they were overly experienced in their religious background. Jesus picked those who came to him like curious children wanting to know more because they trusted him immediately without Jesus having to tell them his accolades. They didn't try to compromise with Jesus and say I will follow you on one condition, they just followed him.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He picked people who were hungry for Love and Truth...
First, welcome to CF :thumbsup:.

Second, that's not in the text. On the contrary, even to the point of the crucifixion, they still hadn't figured it out. They went back to their previous lives, like, "oh well, that was fun while it lasted" kind of attitude. I mean, why would they bring oils to anoint the body of Christ if they believe he would be raised from the dead as he had said to them over and over again for the past three and a half years? It was only after the resurrection that their light bulb went on. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0