How to start a new youth group in a new church

Jul 19, 2004
Texas
✟142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello all, I am new to the site and new to the youth ministry as well. I was just asked to be the Youth pastor for my church wich is new as well. I young, exited and anxious to get this ministry up and going. I have been involved with many youth groups, but they were already established and moving and have never been a part of a group that has had to start from scratch. My vision for this ministry is so big right now, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, so I was just wanting to hear some different opinions on how to proceed with this process and maybe help some people out with anything that I can do. I realize that I have a chance to really impact young peoples lives and help them through their walk with christ. Thanks

Jimmy.

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
radical devotion said:
Hello all, I am new to the site and new to the youth ministry as well. I was just asked to be the Youth pastor for my church wich is new as well. I young, exited and anxious to get this ministry up and going. I have been involved with many youth groups, but they were already established and moving and have never been a part of a group that has had to start from scratch. My vision for this ministry is so big right now, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, so I was just wanting to hear some different opinions on how to proceed with this process and maybe help some people out with anything that I can do. I realize that I have a chance to really impact young peoples lives and help them through their walk with christ. Thanks

Jimmy.
visit youth in their homes, neighborhoods, malls, and schools, meet them and their friends. Listen to what they are looking for. They usually surprise us in that they are looking for meat, not milk (if I may use the Biblical analogy). They want to have fun, they want to have a voice, they want to understand the Bible and the doctrine and theology of the church---but most of all, they want to be accepted on their level.
Spend time with then--use Biblical, fun curriculum, but spend time in fun. Have a heart for sharing the gospel, but love them, love them, love them. The rest will follow.
Good luck and God bless
Rev. Tommy Conder

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2004
Texas
✟142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks, I really want to teach them as much doctrine and theology that they can handle and I do plan on visiting them in their areas of intrests and homes. The hardest part for me is to make sure that I can balance the fun and the gospel out to where they can have as much fun studying the word as they do playing games, but most of all I want them to be a close knit group, not just at church, but at school in their communities and in their everyday lives. They will know that they are loved, accepted and respected. This is an exciting time and the small group that I have right now are excited kids. Thank you rev.

Jimmy

Upvote 0

PastorJer

Senior Veteran
Jun 19, 2004
Carstairs Alberta
✟20,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hey Radical
Full time ministry is an absolutely awesome experience! I have been in Youth Ministry now for all of 11 months. It has been an incredible ride.
One thing I will tell you right now is not to expect too much from your first year. God will move - but there will be more times that you will find yourself asking the question "What am I doing this for?" When those times come - look to those people who have become part of your group and are growing in Christ as a result of that.
Now in answer to your question I would suggest that you get yourself a copy of the following book - take the time to read through it BEFORE you start doing activities and the such... it will help you get your bearings on how to become more eternally effective in the lives of your youth. The book is "Purpose Driven Youth Ministry" by Doug Feilds. I have found the principles in that book to be extremely helpful to me.
And now another word of encouragement. When we started the youth program in the church that I am in now, there had not been a youth program actively running for 5-6 years. I am pleased to report that where once there were less than 10 young people we now have 30 + on our roster of teens. God has been faithful.
So blessings as you do this very important job.
Pastor Jer

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2004
Texas
✟142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Pastor Jer,

Definitely. Thanks alot. You are about the third person to refer me to that book within the past few days so it must be worth looking at. The reason that I accepted this position is because I had great experiences with youth groups in the past and they impacted almost every aspect of my life and that is why this ministry is so important to me right now. I am pretty much in the same situation that you were in. There are only about 10-12 young people in our small church right now and that core goup is very excited are are ready to hit the ground running. Thanks for the info and God bless.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From what I have noticed, two different groups exist in any teen ministry. One, usually the younger group, wants to play, have fun, and just plain "hang out." The second group often wants similar things, but also desires a deeper relationship with God, and want more spiritual food than group one. The trick is to balance fun and learning. If you group is mostly type one, then just have fun. Always incorporate lessons and praying, but focus a lot on fun. Type two needs deeper Bible study, debates (maybe), and prayer. Arrange prayer groups of at least 3 to a team. (They will not only pray with each other, but correct each other and whatnot. Don't do group with two people, sometimes it can become abusive.) The ultimate goal is to get all type 1s to be type 2s without them realizing it :) (Still however realize that even type 2s need fun!)

As for numbers, get more. Take inventory of what you have now, and really strengthen them up. This early on, don't shove doctrine in their faces, but build them up. Get them feeling very confident, but also prepare them. Send them off in twos or threes in the mall (or wherever they hang out nowadays) to meet new teens. Also, have them try to bring their friends fom school to the events. Realize that most non Christian friends are type 1s thinking everyone else is going to be a type 2, if that makes sense. They want fun, but expect events to be boring. So make events where a lot of guests are involved more tailored to type 1s: Pray at the beginning and end, but focus on fun.

Well, I hope my rambling helped you in some way :p God bless :wave:

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2004
Texas
✟142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks Biz, It's good to hear from a young person. I know exactly what types that you were talking about. When I first got into youth groups it was to have fun and meet girls, but eventually I came around. Fun is probably what most younger people are looking for at first, but like the old saying goes, "if the left one don't get you the right one will" and I do plan on them getting into a deeper relationship with God and not realize it. Thanks for the info and God bless.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
radical devotion said:
Thanks Biz, It's good to hear from a young person. I know exactly what types that you were talking about. When I first got into youth groups it was to have fun and meet girls, but eventually I came around. Fun is probably what most younger people are looking for at first, but like the old saying goes, "if the left one don't get you the right one will" and I do plan on them getting into a deeper relationship with God and not realize it. Thanks for the info and God bless.
No problem. I would advise getting info from another younger person. I am in no way a representation of today's youth :p

Upvote 0