Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone have any good resources on how to read the fourth line in an interlinear for amateurs. This is the line that indicates tense, mood etc . Prefer web page link please.

You'd have to learn some grammar basics (like, what the aorist tense is). I don't think there's any easy way to make sense of it -- that part is intended for people who know some of the language.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's exactly what you don't need -- it contains several errors and inaccuracies.

There's no substitute for taking a few Greek classes. If you don't, it's better to just ignore that stuff and look at the English tenses.

Upvote 0

Nig

Aug 8, 2012
✟11,938.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

That's exactly what you don't need -- it contains several errors and inaccuracies.

There's no substitute for taking a few Greek classes. If you don't, it's better to just ignore that stuff and look at the English tenses.

Any better suggestions ? I do use youngs literal a bit to help sort out tense but I was kinda hoping to find a guide to what that line was saying so I would not have to figure out youngs .

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any better suggestions ? I do use youngs literal a bit to help sort out tense but I was kinda hoping to find a guide to what that line was saying so I would not have to figure out youngs .

My suggestion is that, if you're really interested in Greek tenses, you pick up an introductory Greek text, and at least read the descriptions of how the tenses work. I don't think there's another way of getting a "feel" for the tenses.

bbg3_cover.jpg
592551.jpg

Upvote 0

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Any better suggestions ? I do use youngs literal a bit to help sort out tense.

:noooo: NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Young had some ABSOLUTELY CRAZY concepts about Hebrew tense back in his day. He stated, emphatically, that all the scholars of his time were wrong about Hebrew tense (they weren't), that there was no evidence anywhere in ancient Semitic languages for the Hebrew tenses scholars advocated (I've been translating texts in Ugaritic, Moabite, Canaanite, Phoenician, and Amorite - and I've seen the same tenses as in Hebrew again and again and again and again). Thus, his translation of Hebrew verbs is pretty much totally and utterly wrong. Everywhere. In every sentence. In every paragraph. In every chapter. In the entire Old Testament.

STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM YOUNG'S LITERAL TRANSLATION. IT IS AN ABOMINATION OF ERROR.

As for the Greek, however... That's something else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums