Sep 27, 2006
California
Visit site
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you,
and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and
spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him,
being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened
with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering
with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the
inheritance of the saints in the light. Colossians 9-12 NKJV

As God’s Word goes out it brings forth fruit that God intends ( Isaiah 55:11 ),
for this reason Paul doesn’t cease to pray for the Colossians. Philippians 3:17
“Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have
us for a pattern.” Paul lays out a wonderful example for us to follow in this
section of scripture.

First, Paul says he does not cease to pray for them. This is very encouraging.
Knowing someone is praying for you may help you feel loved, wanted and cared for.
To have someone remember you and your needs in prayer and lift you up to the Father
demonstrate love for one another. John 13:34-36 “A new commandment I give to you,
that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Second, Paul moves on to explain what he prays for. He asks that they may be filled
with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. I can’t
think of a better thing to pray for. Knowing that Isaiah 55:9 says “For as the
heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My
thoughts than your thoughts.” We can never fully understand the mind of God, so
praying for knowledge of His will, wisdom and spiritual understanding is definitely
a good idea.

Next Paul moves on to the action part, praying that they may walk worthy of the Lord,
fully pleasing and being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge
of God. We are representatives of Christ as such our thoughts, behaviors, attitudes
and actions in this life reflect Him just as light let’s us see in the dark. Matthew
5:14-15 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives
light to all who are in the house.” Paul prays for them to be fruitful in every good
work and we all know the only way to be fruitful is to allow ourselves to walk by the
Spirit as Romans 8:4 says “that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled
in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.”

Paul also addresses “the how” part when he prays that they be strengthened with all might,
according to His glorious power. It’s by God’s Spirit, not our own, that we are given
strength according to Ephesians 3:16 “to be strengthened with might through His Spirit
in the inner man”.

Paul also prays for all patience and longsuffering with joy. Who couldn’t use patience?
Just when you think you’ve learned patience in one area, another area starts showing it
needs patience too. How about longsuffering with joy? Did you know that when you are
suffering and you display joy in the amidst of it you are a testimony of Christ? Matthew
5:12-13 says, “Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so
they persecuted the prophets who were before you. You are the salt of the earth; but if the
salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown
out and trampled underfoot by men.”

Finally, Paul ends his prayers with thanks to God for qualifying us to be partakers in His
inheritance with the saints. Giving thanks is showing appreciation towards God. It’s
demonstrates an awareness that all good comes from God as James 1:17 says “Whatever is good
and perfect comes down to us from God our Father”.

So now you know how to pray. Who can you start praying for today?