How to muster up the courage to admit the truth?

786man

Aug 20, 2015
Homestead
✟8,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hey guys. I'm a senior in high school, and to be honest.......I've developed a reputation as a liar. The things I've said were outlandish and I said them purely to make myself be seen in a better light (I was not one of the "cool" kids because people considered me unattractive and whatever) so in order to look for validation of myself in others, I began to act like a class clown and, you guessed it, lie lie lie!

Now this year I've really begun to see the error in my ways and I want to live a Christ-centered life. The problem is that when I get confronted about things I said in the past, I'm supposed to tell the truth. I'm afraid of admitting my wrongdoing, even though I know it is probably a conviction from the Holy Spirit himself. When I tell the truth, the people that I knew will be disgusted with me, never believe me again, and I'll become a social pariah at school. I've even told lies to the one person at my school that I considered my true friend (and we've done everything together, hang out outside school, go to the movies, he's a Christian also so we have that in common) How do I bring myself to admitting the errors of my ways?

Reactions: brinny

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You have already decided to change and repented in your heart. I would just stop lying from here on. I don't think there is any need to expose your past misdeeds, unless it is unavoidable. "Love covers a multitude of sins"; it doesn't seek to humiliate ppl in public. Hey, I'm proud of you for now choosing the right way!

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a friend in school who always lied about everything to try and one-up everyone and make himself seem cool. I think if you just start telling the truth about things, some people are bound to laugh at you and call you a loser and make you feel like an outcast, but there are going to be some people who appreciate what you're trying to do. Those are the people you should look for, because they are your true friends who appreciate you for the right reasons. I don't think you have to go around telling everyone "I'm going to start telling the truth now guys!" because they'll scoff at you. Just start telling the truth, and if someone brings it up ("Hey, that's not what you said last year..."), then explain to them what changed about you. Honestly, it's a good testimony to those that want to hear it. Wish I could give you some Bible verses to go along with what I'm saying, but you'll have to search for those yourself!

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Everyone does this to a certain extent. Just stop trying to impress people. Believe me, you look like a bigger fool when you do it than when you just don't say anything.

If the past lies come up, just explain that none of it was true and you have decided to turn a new leaf. The Christ centered people will be understanding and accepting of you and that's all you should really care about.

May God Richly Bless You.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like what Lukamo wrote. I think it's 1Peter that says to be ready with an answer for the hope that lies within you. The implication is that we don't have to broadcast our convictions to everyone, unsolicited, but when the right time appears we should be ready to explain our behavior and attitude. Whatever sin their was was against God first, and then man (see David's confession in Ps 51).

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys. I'm a senior in high school, and to be honest.......I've developed a reputation as a liar. The things I've said were outlandish and I said them purely to make myself be seen in a better light (I was not one of the "cool" kids because people considered me unattractive and whatever) so in order to look for validation of myself in others, I began to act like a class clown and, you guessed it, lie lie lie!

Now this year I've really begun to see the error in my ways and I want to live a Christ-centered life. The problem is that when I get confronted about things I said in the past, I'm supposed to tell the truth.
*Telling the truth means admitting that you told whoppers and tried to be the class clown.
Keep it simple and to the point...then ask to be
forgiven/and or say you're sorry.

I'm afraid of admitting my wrongdoing, even though I know it is probably a conviction from the Holy Spirit himself. When I tell the truth, the people that I knew will be disgusted with me, never believe me again, and I'll become a social pariah at school.
*Like I said up-board, keep it simple and to the point, just say: "I told whoppers and acted like a class clown."

I've even told lies to the one person at my school that I considered my true friend (and we've done everything together, hang out outside school, go to the movies, he's a Christian also so we have that in common) How do I bring myself to admitting the errors of my ways?

*Your true friend, if you sincerely value your friend, you should be seeking his forgiveness-- talk privately with him about what you've said and or done.
Ask forgiveness for lying to him... know this, regaining trust will take time and effort.
Diligently pray about this matter and ask God to help you to sincerely live out the faith each day.

Upvote 0

Cernunnos

Well. . .
May 28, 2014
Faith
✟16,330.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, check out these Linkin Park lyrics:
"It starts with
One thing I don't know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind, I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
All I know
Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
It’s so unreal
Didn’t look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on but didn’t even know
I wasted it all just to watch you go

I kept everything inside and even though I tried, it all fell apart
What it meant to me will eventually be a memory of a time when...

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

I post this because it sounds like where you are. You tried too hard, you lied, and now whatever popularity you built is going to fall & it doesn't really matter. So, get real. . . get clean. . . come clean starting with the people closest to you & express it like you did here. You have had a come to Jesus moment & you are turning your life around. People like that, people dig transformation and turn around stories. . . makes us all think we could maybe get rid of the worst parts of ourselves too. Your reputation a day ago is not as good as it can be tomorrow. Let me know how it turns out​

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Now this year I've really begun to see the error in my ways and I want to live a Christ-centered life. The problem is that when I get confronted about things I said in the past, I'm supposed to tell the truth. I'm afraid of admitting my wrongdoing, even though I know it is probably a conviction from the Holy Spirit himself. When I tell the truth, the people that I knew will be disgusted with me, never believe me again, and I'll become a social pariah at school. I've even told lies to the one person at my school that I considered my true friend (and we've done everything together, hang out outside school, go to the movies, he's a Christian also so we have that in common) How do I bring myself to admitting the errors of my ways?

You know, it's very likely your friends already have some sense of your lying. People who make a regular habit of lying through exaggeration don't realize often how obvious their exaggerations are. I've got a few people in my social sphere who are like this. Unfortunately, they haven't come to the place you have where they want to really follow Christ and cease their lying. In any case, you may find your friends to be surprisingly gracious and forgiving - especially if they have already seen through your misrepresentations. Certainly, if you really want to honor Christ with your life, you must be careful not to lie any more.

Really, only God can give you the grace to be honest with your friends about your lying. Ask Him to give you the wisdom and courage to confess - if that is necessary - to those you have tried to deceive. Trust Him with the consequences. His way is always - no matter the pain of it - the best way.

Selah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
tell them that you're a new creature now; and old things, including telling lies to impress people who don't like you to begin with, have passed away; and they can be free of lies as well. the lies didn't make them like you, but the Truth will make some love you and most hate you, because most people lie to themselves about God - and you'll be in good company, because that's the way people felt about Jesus :)

2Co 5:14-21 KJV
(14) For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
(15) And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
(16) Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
(17) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
(18) And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
(19) To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
(20) Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
(21) For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

2Co 5:14-21 GW
(14) Clearly, Christ's love guides us. We are convinced of the fact that one man has died for all people. Therefore, all people have died.
(15) He died for all people so that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for the man who died and was brought back to life for them.
(16) So from now on we don't think of anyone from a human point of view. If we did think of Christ from a human point of view, we don't anymore.
(17) Whoever is a believer in Christ is a new creation. The old way of living has disappeared. A new way of living has come into existence.
(18) God has done all this. He has restored our relationship with him through Christ, and has given us this ministry of restoring relationships.
(19) In other words, God was using Christ to restore his relationship with humanity. He didn't hold people's faults against them, and he has given us this message of restored relationships to tell others.
(20) Therefore, we are Christ's representatives, and through us God is calling you. We beg you on behalf of Christ to become reunited with God.
(21) God had Christ, who was sinless, take our sin so that we might receive God's approval through him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It takes great courage and righteous conviction in our own hearts to admit when we are wrong and then CONFESS them to GOD through his son JESUS, and especially to others. If we lie and lay in that/those lies it becomes unrepentant until we confess them...this sometimes and for the most part includes to others; especially those we have hurt with the lies.

"What is the conviction in your heart telling you to do?" What does JESUS ask us to do in following him who is the way, the TRUTH, and the life? By confessing to others of our iniquities when they effected others or were adhered to others we are making amends for the wrongs we have committed.

We approach repentance in a manner that creates healing, LOVE, and forgoing pride and the flesh nature and living in the spirit. We are responsible for our actions and must accept consequences with the hopeful mercy of GOD and not be ashamed to admit our failures even unto one another; especially the brotherhood of/in JESUS CHRIST.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0