How to get children to go to church as adults

Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
*did not read the study*

I would be curious about the Swiss family structure and if the father of the household has the most influence over how the household is run. Also curious if kids happen to take after the father similarly in other realms, such as choice of occupation/recreational activities. It would be interesting to see whether or not taking after the father is limited to religious practices or more of a general 'rule'.

Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I ran across a study stating that when a child's father goes to church regularly, it's likely that the child will become a regular church goer (regardless of if the mother goes to church or not).

If it's the mother that is a regular church goer, but the father doesn't go, it's much much less likely that the child will become a regular church goer.

Suprisingly it even stated that if the father alone is the regular church goer, it seems that the child will more likely become a regular church goer than if both parents are regular church goers.

The conclusion is one of the main factors in if a child will become a regular church goer is if the father is a regular church goer.

The study took place in 1994 in Switzerland, so it's difficult to say how much it applies to Americans or other non Swiss. Here's where I found the information: Raising children so they will go to church as adults | Cranach: The Blog of Veith .

So does this ring true in your experience?

Why might it be true (or if you don't think it's true, why don't you think it applies)?

The opposite is true for me. My parents are divorced and my mom was the one who took us to church. My mom was the "mom and dad" in my family. I've heard this statistic before and I'm sure it's true in some people's lives just not mine.

Also, when the child grows up I think it's important if he/she doesn't like the "family church" then allow them to pick a church that they love and will actually want to go to. I know a lot of parents just expect the child to continue going to the church they've always gone to but I think it's vital to let them choose their own. Seriously, just as long as the church is bible believing and preaches the word of God then I don't see the big deal. Just my two cents. :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Except for those here who've said that it didn't make a difference in their lives, as well as the examples I've witnessed. I think LT hit it on the head with this one. Very true.
But are those people in the majority or in the minority?

I would also add that mothers are incredibly powerful influences in the lives of their children, as well. Mothers take on duties as both protector and nurturer. They teach and instruct just as much, if not more so, than fathers. And the bond and influence between mother and child(ren) is not something to easily discount, which is what this old study appears to be doing.
I'm not saying they're not. But children are enough of a challenge that it usually takes two to get the job done.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
At least here, they would seem to be the majority. At the very least, on even keel with those whose experiences corroborate the study.

Oops. I forgot to quote you.

But, I do see your point. The forums are not a clear indicator of real-life realities. Even so, it would be difficult to say for certain one way or the other. It's the individual's experiences and that's why I enjoyed LT's post so much.

Upvote 0