UK
✟700.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
For some time now I've been reconnecting with God and while I feel He speaks through something 'beyond' language (feelings etc) but I do find His silence troubling. We have the Bible but it is hard to find peace through that alone, at least for me. When I consider all the suffering that has happened and continues to happen, God's silence is deafening.

How do you all deal with it?

Also, any Bible passages you could recommend on this theme would be much appreciated.

Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I've been very aware lately of how God seems quiet on large decisions, but very interactive in the miniscule. What I realized -- if I am heeding the tiny nudges, then I eventually do stay in the will of God for the big things. But I like to have everything in order and lock the large things in place... and I think this is God's way of causing me to lean on Him more. Less on my own preparations.

If you're not sensing anything at all, then use scriptures to guide. The more we read, the more we understand how He operates, and what's important to Him. The silence might be a way of steering you toward the more concrete.

I've noticed sometimes on the forum, a rash of responses will pour out with "God would never do that" or something else opinion-based. If we rush out with gut reactions or sensations, then we sometimes miss who God is.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟267,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I did in response to God's silence in the past was to get discouraged and my prayer life suffered, then the rest of my life kinda fell into shambles. Looking back now, having recently read through journals I kept years ago, I can see now that even while God was being "silent", He was doing His work in my life the whole time, even when everything was a mess, even when I was losing faith and confidence in Him. I think my best advice to you is something I do which is to pray, like dedicate maybe 15 minutes to like a half hour each day to doing just that. If you haven't tried that yet, I assure you it gets easier to do as time goes on (as you start praying you'll want to pray more as the Spirit leads you) but it may not necessarily be easy to get into the prayer (spiritual warfare). Fasting and praying might also be a very good option for you (but be careful if you've got health issues!). When I started fasting I felt my prayers were becoming stronger, which was very helpful in starting me off on a stronger prayer life (I only skipped about 1-2 meals when I did it and it was still beneficial). Definitely trust the Spirit to lead you on how long to fast, etc. I found this article to be quite helpful and it's what led me to start fasting in the first place:

Fasting - What The Bible Says

Also, they quote Isaiah 58 in that article, which is kind of a guide to fasting.

So overall, my advice is to seek God and His will even more during the silence. I know it's discouraging, but do hang in there, God's still working!

English Standard Version
But Jesus answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I am working.”
- John 5:17

◄ Isaiah 58 ►
English Standard Version
True and False Fasting
1“Cry aloud; do not hold back;
lift up your voice like a trumpet;
declare to my people their transgression,
to the house of Jacob their sins.
2Yet they seek me daily
and delight to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that did righteousness
and did not forsake the judgment of their God;
they ask of me righteous judgments;
they delight to draw near to God.
3‘Why have we fasted, and you see it not?
Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?’
Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure,a
and oppress all your workers.
4Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight
and to hit with a wicked fist.
Fasting like yours this day
will not make your voice to be heard on high.
5Is such the fast that I choose,
a day for a person to humble himself?
Is it to bow down his head like a reed,
and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him?
Will you call this a fast,
and a day acceptable to the Lord?
6“Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke,
to let the oppressedb go free,
and to break every yoke?
7Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
8Then shall your light break forth like the dawn,
and your healing shall spring up speedily;
your righteousness shall go before you;
the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
9Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
you shall cry, and he will say, ‘Here I am.’
If you take away the yoke from your midst,
the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
10if you pour yourself out for the hungry
and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
then shall your light rise in the darkness
and your gloom be as the noonday.
11And the Lord will guide you continually
and satisfy your desire in scorched places
and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water,
whose waters do not fail.
12And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;
you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
you shall be called the repairer of the breach,
the restorer of streets to dwell in.
13“If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath,
from doing your pleasurec on my holy day,
and call the Sabbath a delight
and the holy day of the Lord honorable;
if you honor it, not going your own ways,
or seeking your own pleasure,d or talking idly;e
14then you shall take delight in the Lord,
and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth;f
I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father,
for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”
Footnotes:
a 3 Or pursue your own business
b 6 Or bruised
c 13 Or business
d 13 Or pursuing your own business
e 13 Hebrew or speaking a word
f 14 Or of the land

Isaiah 58 ESV

For some time now I've been reconnecting with God and while I feel He speaks through something 'beyond' language (feelings etc) but I do find His silence troubling. We have the Bible but it is hard to find peace through that alone, at least for me. When I consider all the suffering that has happened and continues to happen, God's silence is deafening.

Also, any Bible passages you could recommend on this theme would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Dragnog

Jul 10, 2006
✟15,466.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I thought about how to answer this in a number of ways so if these things disjointed I apologise.

Firstly, how often to you pray and wait on the Lord to speak to you? Perhaps he is silent because you do not give him opportunity to speak.

Personally I do not find God silent in peoples suffering, in fact I think that he is far more active than you possibly think. Have you given God voice through your actions in a suffering world?

A passage that comes to mind is 1 Kings 19 especially verses 11 to 13

How do we expect God to speak? Is that always how he does speak?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One reason for God's silence is that He wants to increase our faith. A good parent will watch his child carefully and know when to speak and when to allow the child to learn on his own. Otherwise the child will never mature and become competent. When God is silent, it does not mean He is not working on our behalf, or that He has abandoned us. He works on a plane dealing with things we can't imagine, and He knows exactly what is best for us.

In silent times we should do our best to approach Him, and then at some point accept in faith that He is faithful and will come through when the time is right. Beyond a degree of self-examination done in faith, it does harm to beat ourselves up and walk in condemnation because we're not hearing His voice. Prayer and praise, and especially thanking Him for the victory ahead of time, help strengthen the soul during the lean times.

One passage I have found very helpful is in 2Cor 12, when Paul describes God's power being perfected in our weakness.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Supernatural silence or light of Jesus Christ within you is definitely beyond logic where faith must be activated, so that fearlessness, calmness, righteousness and healing can be received, even while our human bodies are under the old age process and even when death occurs in the end of one's life as evidence of Jesus Christ will be revealed as he has the power of resurrection, wholeness of eternal perfect youth and health where every kind of disease and disability known to mankind will not exist, especially our own pest-free, rent-free home accommodation inside the materially construction-safe kingdom of God on a new disaster-free paradise Earth:.
Sin causes logic to search evidence without the spiritual presence of Jesus Christ in one's heart. Sin has all the deceiving spiritual darkness of Satan that is not recognizable with an atheist whether intellectually capable or disabled, and because Christ's physical evidence of himself in his Second Coming future victory return might cause impatience in atheists who think evidence must be shown immediately without all the fuss of waiting and finding out the next day is just another ordinary day -
death of one's physical brain and body has to occur in order to witness the power of Christ's supernatural triple transformation where human, planet Earth and universe must be Christ-transformed so that no sin whatsoever can cause atheism, false religious beliefs as we receive our new genius-intelligent minds and measure-perfect bodies of Christ, to be spiritually married with each other as new brothers and sisters of Christ, as opposed to sexual marriage where I believe heterosexual or homosexual marriage of adult couples will be replaced with Christ-spirituality, meaning no sexual feelings are necessary if Christ's abundance of peace and joy do not leave any time-wasting negative experiences of suicidal depression and anxiety that seem to be the side-effects or after-effects of sexual pleasure.;'*';.
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

[FONT=Georgia, serif]We always want to feel the presence of the Lord all the time but we can't because we walk by faith and not by sight. We may not always feel the Lord but He's always there. He said He would never leave us nor forsake us and we can trust Him. Please don't get caught up in legalism thinking you have to follow a bunch of rules and regulations. Don't get into that. Jesus said we are to take His yoke upon us and learn of Him. Just keep talking (praying) and reading the Word. I talk to the Lord throughout my day about anything/everything and He answers in the most amazing ways. A good place to start is talking to Him about what's in your heart and what you're reading. Have you ever studied the “character” of God? It's a wonderful way to learn God and meditate on Him along with the Word. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Don't be afraid of the silence. That's all part of the process. Just press in, walk with the Lord, and do the Word you know. Love God and love your neighbor. Don't try and be “deep”. Just keep it simple. Read the Gospel and enjoy it...[/FONT]

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian

I find that the Lord is continually talking to me. It isn't in some unknown language or a feeling. It is actual words that are spoken to my heart, and I hear them, and decide whether or not, I am going to adhere to His words.
I have been listening to Him for so long now, that it may as well be Him speaking in my ears because it is that clearly defined. The only difference is that His words do cut to the core of me when it comes to convicting me, or putting a message across.
God is always talking to you brother. Just set your focus on Him, and in no time, you will be consumed by his presence. I know I am.
I love you, and hope that you come to hear the ever sweet voice of the Lord speaking to your inner ear.

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God is just teaching you that you don't always feel His presence when He is close. If you just have to feel his presence then do something wrong. I promise you that you'll feel His presence real fast.

Notice this scripture from the Amplified Bible:

Hebrews 13:5 Amplified Bible

5 Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]

He IS always with you.

Blessings,

Alan

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear william23. Jesus gave us good advice in Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus told us: " The first and great Commandment is, Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40, Jesus points out this great truth: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love and God wants Loving sons and daughters. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " ask and you shall receive," we ask God for Love and Joy, then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. We keep asking for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. God sees our loving efforts, and God will approve and bless us, we give up our selfish wants and wishes, and start loving and caring, being always friendly and kind. Love is a Christian`s weapon, with love we overcome all enmity and unfriendly behaviour. Love is very catching, and we will find that people will treat us the same as we treat people. Love will turn us into the men and women which God wants us to be, the Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on being loving, friendly and kind. The Bible tells us to " Repent,"
change from being selfish and unloving to be loving and caring and be the children our Heavenly Father wants. It might not be easy to start, but love will change us gradually.
I say this with love, William. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John777111

May 18, 2015
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian

You should not be having silence from God in your Christian walk. You should be able to hear from God.

So, something is wrong.

It can be important to be able to locate that something is wrong in your walk, so you can realize you need to seek. Seeking can not be artificially induced, anymore then people can feel sadness just on cue. But, with religion, a problem arises, as discussed in Scripture, due to our problems of discerning truth in regards to our own selves. Put another war: objective truth about your own self is extremely difficult to discern, by nature that is a subjective area.

You should be able to have dialogue with God. You should be able to literally hear God inwardly and outside your own self, from Christians, angels in disguise, and the Spirit through the mouths of others. You should not expect less.

Obviously, such benefit is not bestowed upon all humankind, and it requires enormous responsibility. One can note this because of the many false prophets and false religions out there claiming to be God's point people on earth. Even with the groups like Hindu or Secular there are similar effective claims made, because they pose as if they are righteous, when they are not. They may not use God's literal name, but effectively they claim his authority and his righteousness. And wrongly so.

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian

William, I find that when I get to busy in the secular world with watching TV, or on the internet. Then, it seems that the Lord doesn't speak to my heart as much. But, I do feel His presence. I mean, you must feel His presence.
Can I suggest that you find a forest with a meadow somewhere outside of any city, and just spend a couple of hours alone in His creation. Call out to Him while you are out there. He will answer you.
I have screamed at Him, and He has always been faithful to come and nurture my childish behavior. I mean, I did this when I was a newbie. Now, He is just always there and I don't scream or yell. I do more listening and praising Him, now.
But, I watch little TV, and this is pretty much the only internet, I use. I don't date anymore seeings that every girl I meet wants to get my pants off of me on the first date, and I spend endless hours in silence just taking in whatever comes to mind, usually meditating on the Lord
If you are consumed with entertainment, then you probably won't be in the right frame of mind to receive and understand anything spiritual.
Try the nature thing, and then let me know how that worked out for you.. I have a pretty good hunch that you will be pleased.
This will sound goofy, but I even sing songs to Him when I am out in nature. The wild life must think I am nuts. lol..lol..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Im not sure what kind of silence you mean. All the above replies are relevant.
Maybe its we busy that we forget to hear Him. maybe we havent confessed something that ought to be confessed and repented of.
GOd is angry with the wicked everyday...but He still loves his creation enough to have sent his only son Jesus to die and thus redeem us from our wickedness.

I would say..you need to keep seeking, keep asking what Jesus did for you on the cross. What does that mean? He suffered so much for our sake so that we would not perish. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. If you seeking a relationship with God and answers you need to believe his Son first. He knows first hand what extreme suffering is.

Upvote 0

John777111

May 18, 2015
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
William, I find that when I get to busy in the secular world with watching TV, or on the internet. Then, it seems that the Lord doesn't speak to my heart as much. But, I do feel His presence. I mean, you must feel His presence.

This is a very important point: we can go through our day having constant input sources, without even a moment to sit alone and think. Except when we go to bed. Then, it is that we suddenly are alone with our thoughts and forced to think.

What is thinking compared to prayer? The two can actually tie into each other very well. There are multiple points in the Old Testament and New Testament where God calls us to reason out matters with Him. Further, there is the condemnation of the people at Sodom pointing out how they lack the capacity to reason and merely operate off unthinking instinct.

That is a very critical point, and we can all consider how not taking the time to thinking about issues can get us into trouble.

What does prayer have to do with thinking? One time, early on, for me... a poster somewhere - maybe it was here - pointed out that prayer should not be a monologue. It should be a dialogue. And, I believe that is true. That also seems to strike to the heart of what Jesus was saying about 'pagans going on and on in their prayer'. Point is, in that thinking, in that silence, you also give room for God to speak to you.

One core problem we can have in our Christian walk is to not have open minds, which is often because - like everyone - we have a strong tendency to believe what we want to believe regardless of truth. So, by seriously thinking out matters from God - via Scripture, via word spoken to us by God through others, via problems we keep having which we refuse to look at - we can open doors by realizing the limitations of our knowledge.

As we have to get to that "I do not know" point until God can instruct us.

Otherwise, our ears are shut.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Christian`s friend. Why not show God what we would love to do, and then have God`s approval?
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40, Jesus points out this great truth: "On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. What do we do now? Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: ask and you shall receive," we ask God for Love and Joy, then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. ( all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends) God sees our loving efforts, and God will approve and bless us. We keep asking for Love and Joy, thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on loving and caring. A Christian`s weapon is Love and Joy, love will help and guide us in all we say, or do, Love is very catching, and always the victor. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. I say this with love, and send greetings.
Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
John 10:27
"My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me.”

Hearing God's voice, what is involved?

My sheep. It is God's sheep that hear God's voice. Are we God's sheep? Many would say yes but don't try to hear His voice. It is not just that the sheep of God will hear His voice if they need to. They will also hear His voice when God wants to direct us.

It says that the sheep of God will follow Him. Are we following Jesus? When God moves do we move with Him? He may want to do something and we aren't listening. We need to be listening to hear.

Is there so much noise in our life that when God speaks, we can't hear? I know in my experience there is. I need to get the noise out of my life so that I can hear. What do I mean by noise. It is not just TV, Internet, movies, sports, music that I am talking about.
Our flesh screams loud if it is not under subjection to our spirits. Romans 12:1,2 talk of making our life a life a sacrifice for God instead of living for the lusts the world offers. It is putting aside the lusts of the flesh that will make a major step in being able to hear God.

We listen to what we want to listen to. Change your wants by putting your mind on the things of the Spirit instead of the things of the flesh. Romans 8:5-8.

And God knows us. Our knowing God and His knowing us is important in this hearing business. Hear God and talk to God in prayer. Do we have time for God? Do we have time to read the internet, or watch movies? I would say most do. Then we have time for God.

Earlier in this chapter it says Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. Life with God is better than life away from God. Serving God is better than serving yourself. We were made to live for God. Freedom comes as we live for what we were made for.

Live for God and you will come to know God better. You will talk with Him and be His friend. In John 14 it talks of the Father and Jesus coming to live with us as we live for God. Then we will commune with Him and He with us and there will be life.

You will hear God then. You will hunger for God and seek for Him by reading His word.

For other articles I have written on hearing God go here: http://verde34.blogspot.com/search/label/hear

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
How to deal with God's silence.

Bless yer heart, sometimes God is silent. He just is. There is a purpose in it all, but we may not know it at the time. We each have "wilderness" and/or "desert" experiences. We each have our turn in the "fiery furnace of affliction", which He allows, and we come forth from it as pure gold.

Job had such experiences and THEN some. God was silent during all of the inexplicable suffering and the grief of losing all 10 of his children, and while he was in the midst of this heart-wrenching grief, his wife in essence stabbed him in the heart, telling him to stop being such a man of integrity, and to curse God and die. Not long after that his friend pummel him and accuse him of being evil and to confess sins he never committed, as he sat on an ash heap in the city dump, with worm infested sores from head to toe, as they wouldn't even pray for him, but continually beat him down with accusations and condemnation. Job was sorely misunderstood on top of all that he had been and was, enduring. During all of this, God was silent.

During many of our own trials God is silent, as our family and friends forsake us, as we are misunderstood, and as we don't have a clue why any of it is happening.

During all of it, in God's "seeming" silence, hopefully we have others at least praying for us, even if they don't understand either, as they pray for God to strengthen, sustain, and protect and defend us in our times of dire dire trials in fiery furnace times, and as God seems silent and distant.

It is written for us not to be shocked when these times occur. It is at these times especially that we ask our brothers and sisters in Christ to pray pray pray for us. It is at these times that we remember to "be still and KNOW that He is God" and that "in quietness and confidence shall be our strength" and that God can be TRUSTED, even if we do not understand what is going on. It is at these times that we remember WHO He is, and that He Who is IN us is GREATER than he who is AGAINST us. It is at these times that there is quite possibly a war raging in the spiritual realm that involves us and we are not aware of. It is crucial when we do not understand, that we keep our eyes on the ONE Who fights on our behalf, even if He seems silent and distant. He isn't. Against all odds, we TRUST Him and we KNOW that He will bring us forth as PURE GOLD.

"Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." ~I Peter 4:12-13

There's also a book titled: "Wrestling with God: Loving the God We Don't Understand" by James Emery White

The title of it caught my attention during one of my own seasons of "wrestling" with God (of which there have been many)

Hang in there. Praying for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0