How to concentrate on God instead of the world?

JohannaSK

Aug 28, 2015
✟10,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I'm new on this forum, a 30+ year old Christian woman from Europe.

I became a believer in Jesus five years ago, and throughout these years I've had so much joy in faith; I've had some serious hardships, but God has pulled me through. God has given me strength and joy. It' been miraculous.

But now it's time for me to grow in a certain matter. I've always concentrated too much on what other people think of me. I haven't been self-assured and secure of myself. In a way, it has an effect on my faith, too. This is embarrassing to talk about, but I'll give you an example:

Sometimes when I think about how greatful I am for the things that God has done for me, I kind of imagine myself telling about it to other people (people I know who are mostly not Christians), and I imagine how they react with awe. It's like in my imagination it becomes more about me than God.

Well, that was just a one example of concentrating too much on what other people think about me. I understand that this problem originates in my problems with self-confidence: I want to feel accepted and even admired by other people, and I honestly think that my faith in Jesus is my "best asset", so I keep on imagining myself admired for my strong faith and how humble a Christian I am (I know, how ironic..lol).

The Bible says in Galatians 6 that we are allowed to boast about the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. I want to get rid of boasting about myself in these stupid "fantasies" and boast about Jesus, but the problem is that I have been fantasising like this for such a long time that it has become like really bad habit. How to break this?

I'd be thankful for any thoughts, advices :)

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I became a believer in Jesus five years ago, and throughout these years I've had so much joy in faith; I've had some serious hardships, but God has pulled me through. God has given me strength and joy. It' been miraculous.

But now it's time for me to grow in a certain matter. I've always concentrated too much on what other people think of me. I haven't been self-assured and secure of myself. In a way, it has an effect on my faith, too. This is embarrassing to talk about, but I'll give you an example:

Sometimes when I think about how greatful I am for the things that God has done for me, I kind of imagine myself telling about it to other people (people I know who are mostly not Christians), and I imagine how they react with awe. It's like in my imagination it becomes more about me than God.

Well, that was just a one example of concentrating too much on what other people think about me. I understand that this problem originates in my problems with self-confidence: I want to feel accepted and even admired by other people, and I honestly think that my faith in Jesus is my "best asset", so I keep on imagining myself admired for my strong faith and how humble a Christian I am (I know, how ironic..lol).

The Bible says in Galatians 6 that we are allowed to boast about the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. I want to get rid of boasting about myself in these stupid "fantasies" and boast about Jesus, but the problem is that I have been fantasising like this for such a long time that it has become like really bad habit. How to break this?

It is good you are aware of your own concern/fear of what others think of you. If your experience is like most, you are in for a life-long recurring battle.

I think it is not so much a fight toward caring less of what people think, but rather a fight toward caring more of what God thinks of you, i.e. learning to fear God more and desire his approval infinitely more than you fear people and desire their approval. (Interestingly, seeking what is good many times pushes out and displaces the bad in our lives.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God." ~ 1 Corinthians 4:1-5

Upvote 0

many overcome these issues by having fun and forgetting the sad stuff

meaning anxiety, sadness, etc.

try to see people who are happy vs people who arent

usually the happy ones dont think about sad things

Upvote 0

mytel

Sep 18, 2009
australia
✟9,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can relate to what you are saying, i also notice this at times in myself for different things. I think it is good that you can recognise this and want to change or stop doing it. I would say maybe try and be aware and catch yourself when you have these thoughts and turn from them, and try to change to a more humble view regarding these types of situations. The awe should be given to Christ and what He has done for us, rather than our own efforts or merits, and our confidence should be rooted in Christ rather than ourselves. It's hard and as i said i can relate to this, i guess its something that we need to surrender to God and trust in Him that He is in control, and helping us to grow in Christ.

Reactions: JohannaSK
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
maybe God is trying to get you to stop focusing on how inadequate you are in your flesh by bringing your focus to the impact you can have on others when you selflessly yield your mouth to Him - the awe that people react with when you do this is not directed toward you, it is directed toward God in you. think about the donkey Jesus rode on when He entered Jerusalem on 'palm sunday'; it would have been easy for the donkey to think that he was the focus rather than Jesus, yet in order to fulfill scripture and further reveal that Jesus was the Christ, some donkey had to yield to God and carry Him there...:)

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's good that you see the problem and want to deal with it. God will help you. 2Cor 10 speaks of our authority to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, every vain imagination that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. As the passage suggests, it is a battle, but as you press in to God, Holy Spirit will help you. It's not a matter of merely trying to swat down the erroneous thoughts, though, they have to be displaced with what is true. This is where continual praise, worship, prayer and thanksgiving come in - basically, being filled with Holy Spirit (see fruit of the Spirit in Gal 5). It's a process, and as you persevere in it you will overcome, as what is not of God will lose its power over you.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
the best way to stop a bad habit is to replace the old one with a new one. First cultivate what you want to do inside yourself, and then once that is done, work towards doing that instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohannaSK

Aug 28, 2015
✟10,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your replies!

I just realised that during adversities and sufferings in my past I was too weak to think about how other people see me and to have these vain fantasies. A couple of years ago I had a severe hardship and during that time period there were just me and God – no "crowd". I don't miss the hardships, but I miss being "naked" and alone in front of God, feeling His love towards me.

Like many of you said, it's not so much about trying to prevent thinking about myself and how small and vain I am, but to think about what God has done and how great He is.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your approval comes from God and not other people. I think i had a similar struggle. Not everyone will like you cos you are a christian. In fact many will hate you.

But take heart, it was just as Jesus went through and he overcame. Hes now sitting at the right hand of the Father and we get to sit there with him.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Our true self image derives from who we are, a dearly loved image bearer of God. Societal values and past experiences can deflect that perspective quite easily. It can be a process of constant reminders to ourselves who we really are. Sometimess too prayer for some specific past events or circumstances can be helpful.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Concentrating on God, is a decision which we have to make everyday. It does not happen automatically. We make the decision to concentrate on praying to God, worshipping him, thanking him, and ask him for what we need, everyday. We also study and meditate on his Word, everyday, which transforms our mind, and makes us more like Jesus everyday. We can not concentrate on God, without concentrating on his Word everyday. When we concentrate on the Word of God everyday, we concentrate on God, because Jesus is called 'the Word', in the Bible. Jesus also said, that a man does not live on bread alone, but on every word, which proceeds from the mouth of God. As we need to nourish our body everyday with food, so we need to nourish our spirit and soul, with the Word of God.

Upvote 0