nevb1973

Aug 6, 2009
United States
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have 4 kids 17.15.9.8. We have not made church or God a part of their lives. I s there a way to do this without being seen as crazy Jesus parents and my parent's have lost their minds! They have said they don't believe in God, but I said that too at their age. It just seemed way too uncool to believe or admit you went to church. Raised in an area where most are RC but faith is not openly discussed nor was it in my home as a child. DH was an altar boy but we don't attend church. I want to find a church to attend but not RC I just can't believe it with my whole heart, so I am seeking (and hoping the Lord can give me a boot in the right direction) a church for our family that I can feel comfortable with. I am not so worried about the 2 younger ones as they have attended mass with their GM and read a children's bible on their own at times. It is the teenagers that I am at a loss of how to approach the subject with. Any guidance or success stories welcome! Thank you!

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Christian message must be presented in a meaningful, life related way for a young person to 'buy into' it. Mere religion turns them off. We had many debates and discussions over meals with the many people we had around and they have formed the basis of our three children's faith.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Christian message must be presented in a meaningful, life related way for a young person to 'buy into' it.

No it doesn't. The Gospel convicts. It doesn't convince.

If your goal is to get a kid to "buy into it", then all you're doing is making false converts.

Upvote 0

MckDawg04

Aug 1, 2004
Canton, OH
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If there is a Quaker church in your area (probably a church with "Friends" in the name) it's a very laid-back easy church to get into. There aren't all of the same traditions that Catholic churches hold tight to and overall the Quaker faith is easier for teenagers to understand which makes it easier for them to be convicted by the message.

I might also suggest not forcing the older two to go if they don't want to. They're old enough to make their own decision, but you could strongly encourage them to go to either on Sundays or on Wednesdays (if applicable).

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No it doesn't. The Gospel convicts. It doesn't convince.

If your goal is to get a kid to "buy into it", then all you're doing is making false converts.

Then both Jesus and Paul were wrong. Both always spoke within a context held by the hearer, which differed from person to person.

Rom 4:20-21 Yet he (Abraham) did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. NIV

1 Peter 3:14-15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect... NIV

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Then both Jesus and Paul were wrong. Both always spoke within a context held by the hearer, which differed from person to person.

Nice strawman.
Rom 4:20-21 Yet he (Abraham) did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. NIV

1 Peter 3:14-15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect... NIV

Yeah...and? Neither of these verses have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Nice strawman.

Yeah...and? Neither of these verses have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Oh Yes they do. The are examples of the teaching of Jesus Himself, when he taught to love God with all your heart, soul and mind. T

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Some Other Guy

Jul 15, 2010
✟637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Johnnz said:
Oh Yes they do.

No, they don't. The first verse never says that Abraham believed God because somebody convinced him to believe God, nor does the second verse say that we are to convince anyone into the Kingdom.

The are examples of the teaching of Jesus Himself, when he taught to love God with all your heart, soul and mind.

Again, a verse that has nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

Upvote 0