Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because teaching people to share is a miracle that lasts forever?

If indeed Jesus did cause everyone to share forever, that would be a miracle it is true.

However, the false reading of the miracle of the loaves and fishes merely says that he convinced people to share one time, and only when they had a vast abundance of food already. From that point people certainly haven't shared all of the time, especially when resources are limited. So this false reading indeed does turn a real miracle into something mundane, unremarkable and certainly not a miracle.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Because teaching people to share is a miracle that lasts forever?
which it obviously didn't last forever, because it didn't happen that way.

I agree with the author of the article---ask for documents that prove the teacher's rendering of the parable or ask for a refund for false advertising.
Someone who feels the need to downplay Jesus' miracles is not someone you should sit under.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Note that the text itself strongly suggests that the crowd did not have food:

Mark 8:1-4 said:
8 In those days again, when there was a great multitude, and had nothing to eat; calling his disciples together, he saith to them:

2 I have compassion on the multitude, for behold they have now been with me three days, and have nothing to eat.

3 And if I shall send them away fasting to their home, they will faint in the way; for some of them came from afar off.

4 And his disciples answered him: From whence can any one fill them here with bread in the wilderness?

Not only is it explicitly said that they have nothing to eat twice, but Jesus worries that if they are sent away they will faint of starvation and the disciples express dismay at there being nowhere to get food. None of this would make sense if the crowd secretly was storing away plenty of food.

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Note that the text itself strongly suggests that the crowd did not have food:

Not only is it explicitly said that they have nothing to eat twice, but Jesus worries that if they are sent away they will faint of starvation and the disciples express dismay at there being nowhere to get food. None of this would make sense if the crowd secretly was storing away plenty of food.
Pope St. Pius X called modernism "the synthesis of all heresies," and I think I can see at least three different heresies at work in the modern retelling of the story of the loaves and fish: Arianism, Gnosticism, and Pelagianism.

Upvote 0