Not open for further replies.

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
The confession thread got me thinking about this topic. I've thought about it off and on for over a decade without coming to any conclusion. How one should feel seems to differ depending on who you talk to.

Since Catholics seem to have answers where other faiths seem to leave things open to personal interpretation I thought I'd ask you guys/girls.

I don't have any problem talking with anyone about my sin. It doesn't bother me. I think I could get into areas that were embarrassing but I'd still be able to spit it out without much effort. It also seems like it is just a technicality to me. I've sinned, I want forgiveness but in reality I'm not burdened by it.

Here is an example. Last night I went to a neighbors and had waaay more alcohol than I should have. Do I feel bad because of the sin? No. I'm sorry that I have a hangover. I'm sorry because I know I hurt my body. The fact that sin was involved doesn't enter the picture except as a technicality. Do I want forgiveness for my sin? Sure. It doesn't feel right to want forgiveness when you aren't sorry for the sin itself though. It also doesn't feel attainable when you aren't sorry for the sin.

How does one develop the proper mindset in relation to sin and what is that? I don't think it is possible without God's intervention. I've asked, begged, pleaded for over a decade and that doesn't work. God evidently isn't going to just drop it in my lap.

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
We hid His word in our heart that we don't sin against Him..We know believers in Christ are temples for the Holy Spirit so this would cause us to avoid thigs displeasing to the Lord..We know what the word says, say about if a brother is a drunkard we should not fellowship with him..We do things against what scriptures say we feel conviction from the Holy Spirit...When we lack conviction we have to wonder if we truly had a "born anew" experience or that we are used to doing the things that our heart becomes dulled to the wooing of the holy Ghost..pax..Kim

I'm not interested in the Protestant perspective. I thought I made that clear. I was a Protestant for 12 years in a Church I'm sure you would love. I'm embarrassed to have ever been a part of a group who so confuse love and hate. I myself did not. Please refrain from posting in this thread. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There can be many ways to answer the question. Sin is an offense against God. Something that distances us from Him.

Now, how do we develop the proper attitude that we see these things for what they are? In part a study of Scripture and Church teachings on the matters goes a long way.

Like...taking the overindulge in drinking issue. The body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. To damage or abuse it is to strike at the nature of our dignity as made in God's image. It is to remove worth from the gift of life and our bodies.

We can develop the proper mindset toward sin by reading Scripture and Church teaching. Prayer and a spiritual adviser.

I think you are right that God's intervention is the key. It is a grace to be able to form the correct attitude. The things above help us to recognize and accept that grace.

I'll think a bit more. There are some stories of saints who struggled with this. Their example may help you.

Upvote 0

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic
The confession thread got me thinking about this topic. I've thought about it off and on for over a decade without coming to any conclusion. How one should feel seems to differ depending on who you talk to.

Since Catholics seem to have answers where other faiths seem to leave things open to personal interpretation I thought I'd ask you guys/girls.

I don't have any problem talking with anyone about my sin. It doesn't bother me. I think I could get into areas that were embarrassing but I'd still be able to spit it out without much effort. It also seems like it is just a technicality to me. I've sinned, I want forgiveness but in reality I'm not burdened by it.

Here is an example. Last night I went to a neighbors and had waaay more alcohol than I should have. Do I feel bad because of the sin? No. I'm sorry that I have a hangover. I'm sorry because I know I hurt my body. The fact that sin was involved doesn't enter the picture except as a technicality. Do I want forgiveness for my sin? Sure. It doesn't feel right to want forgiveness when you aren't sorry for the sin itself though. It also doesn't feel attainable when you aren't sorry for the sin.

How does one develop the proper mindset in relation to sin and what is that? I don't think it is possible without God's intervention. I've asked, begged, pleaded for over a decade and that doesn't work. God evidently isn't going to just drop it in my lap.
Well sin is not forgiven if you are not sorry for it and willing to try your best to avoid it in the future. Sin should repulse us, it is like slapping God in the face.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
twosid, I think that your problem may be that God is not a reality to you. I am not saying that to you to be mean or in a bad way. I sincerely hope that you do not take offense.
I was protestant for 20 yrs before coming back home to the Catholic church. As a protestant, God was rendered more to the imagination. We close our eyes and bow our heads when we pray, in an attempt to avoid idolatry, but I think that it takes away some of the reality of God. If God is in the imagination, then sin becomes imaginary also, a technicality as you say.
As a Catholic, we believe in God's real presence in the sacrements. We take Christ's real body and blood in communion; we speak directly to Christ through our priest in confession. God has more of a physical presence in the Catholic church, and each sacrement has its physical elements. To me, that means God has more of a close presence in my life.
As a Catholic, God is someone that I greet every week in the Mass, and speak to in confession. As a protestant, He was more of a long distance relationship. Someone that I was waiting to see, but not quite getting, and we all know what can happen in long distance relationships; they can grow cold.

What you need to get your attitude toward sin in check is to make God more of a real presence in your life now, and not someone that you are waiting to meet later. Whether you can do this as a protestant or Catholic is up to you, but I still believe that it is the key to your problem.

Reactions: twosid
Upvote 0

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
twosid, I think that your problem may be that God is not a reality to you. I am not saying that to you to be mean or in a bad way. I sincerely hope that you do not take offense.

That's possible. I don't know. I certainly believe in God but have never made the connection. I've had prayers answered but they always seem to be prayers others prayed and not me...etc.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I'm with you in the fact that at times I do things wrong and do not feel it in the conscience. The church teaches that the conscience is the voice of God so it always concerns me when it does not even seem to be present. Does that mean I have severed my relationship with God in some way (excommunicated) ?

I think you are supposed to feel yucky inside when you sin. A lot of times when i do what I want and it only effects me I do not hear the conscience... but when I hurt others intentionally with harsh words it always come back to me real deep. I wish that feeling could prevent me from making the same mistake. But it is that guilt that I feel is the way one should feel when they sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well sin is not forgiven if you are not sorry for it and willing to try your best to avoid it in the future. Sin should repulse us, it is like slapping God in the face.
I think that is why it hurts me so bad when I hurt others feelings because I have a real sense of epiphany, ie seeing Christ in others.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are looking for other perspectives I can offer my current one...

A sin is something that people usually want to do because the flesh is weak and it is easier to satisfy the flesh then take care of the soul. But what does it mean to take care of the soul???

I used to think that if I felt good and was not physically, mentally, or emotionally harming someone then it had to be good. But that is because I never considered or knew the spiritual aspect of harm.

Let me break down some of my spiritual understanding.

When we are born God gives us the gift of life. This gift is from God and part of God. As Christians our spirit is reunited with God when we are born again. This is because we are made part of Jesus when we are born again as well as having all sins wiped clean.

Being Part of Jesus is what all Christians in a state of grace are. Jesus is the head and we are the body (the church). When we sin it is causing spiritual harm to our spirit which causes harm to all in the body. It is not an individual thing unless you commit mortal sin or venial sins have too high a debt and then you are no longer part of the body.

When I came to know my relationship with God and all my brothers and sisters I realized that what I do affects everyone in the body of Christ from Jesus to the Saints and to all my brothers and sisters still here on Earth as well as those waiting in Purgatory.

When I knew this with my heart and soul I knew that I could not sin without hurting others and God, I knew I had to change. It started with confession and repentance must be a part of it.

When I am in a state of Grace I have a lot of strength because of the Holy Spirit. I have battled sins that kept me from Jesus and won and yet these battles still rage. Sometimes the will to sin can be strong because my body can crave it. But when I have a healthy relationship with God through confession and the Eucharist which includes prayer I find myself strong in the Lord. It is only when I am in Grace that the Lord can work through me and I through him and then sin cannot win.

But if I am out of a state of grace I do not have the strength I get when I am joined to the body of Christ through the Holy Spirit. This is when I am at my weakest and sin is at its strongest.

FWIW - Twenty years ago I fought a battle with drug and alcohol addiction and won. How? By the grace of God and only by the grace of God. To win the battle against sin you need God. How? If you want to save your life you must give it to God first.

God Bless and Peace,

Jack

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2007
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really had a tough time with this too for quite a while. I'd feel slightly bad because I knew sin was wrong, but deep down I didn't truly realize the gravity of my sins.

Now I think of this: Jesus died for our sins...every single sin every single one of us has ever or ever will commit. That agony is unfathomable! I know that every time I sin, whether a little or a lot, I add to that agony. Yes, Jesus already died for our sins, but time doesn't exist for God like it does for us - our sins transcend through time to reach the day of Jesus' crucifixion. Even though we live in the 21st century, we are part of that crowd yelling "crucify him!" every time we sin. So, whenever I am tempted to sin, or I have already sinned, I just picture Jesus suffering on the cross, and my sinful actions adding to all that pain he felt. It has helped me immensely to feel repentant!

And then of course, sin hurts yourself, others, and your relationship with God...so thinking of that helps quite a bit too. It's still difficult for me. I don't think we as humans can ever fully grasp the serious nature of sin, but we just have to keep trying and praying. God will help you in your struggle as long as you don't give up.

God Bless. :)

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟66,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

I think its something they put in our mother's milk.

But, in truth, you and I have the same outlook on sin: We do it, sue us. I can work up some repentance if I try, but I don't try very often.

It the way I was manufactered, and the Manufacturer should underatand that.

At least I hope.

Next time you're going to go out and get hammered, why don't you give me shout ?

Reactions: twosid
Upvote 0

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
Next time you're going to go out and get hammered, why don't you give me shout ?

>insmod fargo voice

You Betcha! ;)

>insmod regular voice

See I should feel bad for saying that and I do have a twinge but not what it's supposed to be. :help:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
B and B "And then of course, sin hurts yourself, others, and your relationship with God"
well said, and welcome to Christian forum, sin seperates us from God and is the worst thing on earth, it is also an offence agianst God, who deserves all of our love

Upvote 0

namericanboy

Apr 9, 2005
✟2,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very nice post...May God bless you abundantly as you walk in obedience to him.. I try to keep in mind that Christ is always with me hearing what I say and listening to what I listen to...and watching what I do ..This keeps me away from alot of trouble and keeps me ready for His soon return..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.