On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ya, the passover lamb was treated as a household member to realise the significance of it. It's hard to understand why they didn't see that, but according to scripture they tried Him, and deemed Him defective to be that Lamb.

They didn't deem Him defective. He answered all of their questions, until they asked no more; He had passed their inspection.

This is why the generation of the Queen of the South will stand/witness against them. When she went to Solomon, he answered all of her questions. Lk. 11:31, 1 Kings 10:1-3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wasn't it the scapegoat that was outside the camp?

Leviticus 16

The Day of Atonement

1 The LORD spoke to Moses after the death of the two sons of Aaron who died when they approached the LORD. ........
20 "When Aaron has finished making atonement for the Most Holy Place, the Tent of Meeting and the altar, he shall bring forward the live goat. 21 He is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites—all their sins—and put them on the goat's head. He shall send the goat away into the desert in the care of a man appointed for the task. 22 The goat will carry on itself all their sins to a solitary place; and the man shall release it in the desert. .....

The one goat killed, but the other released is to be a picture of Christ's two comings. The one goat killed. The other released to the wilderness/pasture.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They didn't deem Him defective. He answered all of their questions, until they asked no more; He had passed their inspection.

This is why the generation of the Queen of the South will stand/witness against them. When she went to Solomon, he answered all of her questions. Lk. 11:31, 1 Kings 10:1-3
I was refering to the stone the builders rejected, assuming because they had deemed it was defective, why else would builders reject a building stone?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Am I wrong in thinking that had the Jews understood and accepted him, they would have lovingly sacrificed him on the altar instead of him being killed as a criminal on the cross?
Did the Jews believe that the Messiah was to be sacrificed? Did they believe in human sacrifice?

The Messiah

What then is the Jewish position on the Messiah? Most significantly, Jewish tradition affirms at least five things about the Messiah. He will: be a descendant of King David, gain sovereignty over the land of Israel, gather the Jews there from the four corners of the earth, restore them to full observance of Torah law, and, as a grand finale, bring peace to the whole world. Concerning the more difficult tasks some prophets assign him, such as Isaiah's vision of a messianic age in which the wolf shall dwell with the lamb and the calf with the young lion (Isaiah 11:6), Maimonides believes that Isaiah's language is metaphorical (for example, only that enemies of the Jews, likened to the wolf, will no longer oppress them). A century later, Nachmanides rejected Maimonides's rationalism and asserted that Isaiah meant precisely what he said: that in the messianic age even wild animals will become domesticated and sweet[wash my mouth]tempered. A more recent Jewish "commentator," Woody Allen, has cautioned: "And the lamb and the wolf shall lie down together, but the lamb won't get any sleep."

The Jewish belief that the Messiah's reign lies in the future has long distinguished Jews from their Christian neighbors who believe, of course, that the Messiah came two thousand years ago in the person of Jesus. The most basic reason for the Jewish denial of the messianic claims made on Jesus' behalf is that he did not usher in world peace, as Isaiah had prophesied: "And nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore" (Isaiah 2:4). In addition, Jesus did not help bring about Jewish political sovereignty for the Jews or protection from their enemies.

==

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was refering to the stone the builders rejected, assuming because they had deemed it was defective, why else would builders reject a building stone?

'cause they're building something else.

Jn. 11:48 If we let him thus alone, all [men] will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe Im just dense, because I had never thought this before, but I had a thought the other day that I had never considered before.

Either way around it, Jesus was to be sacrificed.

If he had been accepted as the messiah, he was STILL here as the sacrifice.

John knew this, ( and this gives me shivers because its so deep and shows his understanding) when he said,

Jhn 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Am I wrong in thinking that had the Jews understood and accepted him, they would have lovingly sacrificed him on the altar instead of him being killed as a criminal on the cross?
Uh, I don't know about that. Christ was crucified as criminals were at that time - by being hung on the cross (even though we know He wasn't a criminal). You know there's an interesting reference about Christ hanging from a "tree" (which means wooden cross), which signifies the new life, seeing how the tree of knowledge brought upon Adam and Eve's taking of it and the Fall following. Christ dying on the "tree" was redemption of a sort. Probably didn't explain that well. I'm no theologian.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Num 19:3 Eleazar. The son of Aaron was a deputy High-Priest who was in charge of the slaughter of the red cow. outside the camp. The red cow was killed outside the camp of Israel and its ashes were stored there as well (see v. 9). Hebrews 13:11–13 picks up the image of “outside the camp” as it relates to Christ’s death outside of Jerusalem.

Heb 13:11 for of those beasts whose blood is carried as sacrifices for sin into the holy of holies by the high priest, of these the bodies are burned outside the camp. 12 Wherefore also Jesus, that he might sanctify the people by his own blood, suffered without the gate: 13 therefore let us go forth to him without the camp, bearing his reproach:
In the process of taking on our sins Jesus was sin itself and not worthy to be within the camp of God

Num 5
5:3 outside the camp … in the midst of which I dwell. God’s holy presence in the cloud in the tabernacle demanded cleanness. Therefore, all the unclean were barred from the encampment of Israel.
Lev 4:12 carry outside the camp. This was a symbolic gesture of removing the sin from the people (cf. Heb. 13:11–13 in reference to Christ).

Mal 2:3 refuse. This very graphic language shows how God viewed unfaithful priests as worthy of the most unthinkable disgrace. As the internal waste of the sacrificial animal was normally carried outside the camp and burned (cf. Ex. 29:14; Lev. 4:11,12; 8:17; 16:27), so the priests would be discarded and suffer humiliation and loss of office. The Lord’s purpose in such a warning was to shake them out of their complacency.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heb 13:13 Let us therefore go forth unto Him without the camp, bearing His reproach.—this was entirely contrary to Jewish ideas. All that was outside the camp was ceremonially unclean. Yet the Jews had delivered Christ into the hands of unclean Gentiles. To obtain salvation was therefore impossible inside the camp of Judaism. The works of the Jewish economy of ritual and ceremonial ordinances must be abandoned. It was necessary to go outside the gate to the place where alone the needs of the soul had been met by God. Hope lay not in national privilege or any exclusive Jewish position. The reproach of Christ, an indignity in the eyes of a Jew and a degradation in the eyes of a Gentile, was the only possible means of acceptance with God. The covenant of grace must not be mingled with the covenant of law. Separation to Christ always brings enmity and opposition.
13:14 For we have not here an abiding city, but we seek after the city which is to come.—to be expatriated on account of following Christ should cause nothing but satisfaction. The city that is to be is not only a future reality but a present governing power in the life. For epizeteo, to seek earnestly, see 11:14, and for the city see 11:10, 16.

Quote from Vine

Upvote 0