Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You ever think people are just too quick to use that phrase with each other in dating?

For example, I posted a little while ago about this couple we know that's splitting up and how she's already found some other dude in her AA group. Well, now on FB they're exchanging all sorts of "I love you" posts.

They've been "together" for like two months or so now...and under the circumstance it just makes me wince.

It could be I'm too much on the opposite end of the spectrum...because apart from immediate family members - I've only said "I love you" to two people my whole life...lol One was my ex wife and one is my wife.

Dunno - what do you think?

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think everyone and every circumstance is different. My parents? lol I was shocked to find out they met and were married within 3 months! I could NEVER do that, but they did. They stayed together happily until death.

I'm not red hot familiar with AA, but don't they encourage NOT to get involved with a love interest during parts of your recovery? I can't remember what the reasons are, but I know there are some.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
When people say it early on in a relationship, I think what they are trying to communicate is this "I have a great deal of affection for you and I feel really good when I'm around you. I am attracted to you."

In reality, love is so much more, as we all know here. When someone said it to me early on in a relationship, I questioned whether he was really prepared for what that meant. We talked about what it meant and I was satisfied that it was not some passing phase of attraction. But for a lot of people who don't talk about it and just assume they know what it means...... yes, I think a lot of people do say it too soon. I don't think they are aware of what they are really saying, though.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that the “I love you” is thrown around it bit too much and without the deep meaning being affirmed. ValleyGal explained some situations with that phrase very well. I hear people say the “love you” phrase when they are ending a telephone call or leaving their visits and other times. I just think that saying I love you is such a very deep and personal thing that I do not like to see it used so casually.

As for the couple that says I love you after meeting each other for a month or two, I think ValleyGal hit the nail on the head with her words of “…I feel really good when I'm around you, I am attracted to you."

We all love the feeling of feeling good around people and we get attracted to people but love is so much more than that. If you have lived with someone through the ups and downs, sickness and health, their times of selfishness and in the end you still want what is best for them and you take actions to help them that is much more like deep love that we all want. To do that it takes an enormous amount of commitment, sacrifice, emotion, and strength that comes from the spirit. I am still working on that after over 40 years but have made some progress. Real love is so very powerful and so very difficult at times and so I would prefer to use that phrase when I have proved that love for a good amount of time. That way I think it has a lot more meaning and is more special.

I know that I maybe a little s too serious about that phrase. However, when it has been used on you and you find out that it really was just a temporary feeling or attraction that had not been tested by actions for a long period of time; it leaves a mark of seriousness.

I know I need to lighten up because people love to hear the “I love you” phrase and it gives a temporary spike to the emotions. I would like to see love given degrees so that all the I love you can be understood correctly. I love Steph Curry’s basketball performance last night as his team won the NBA western Conference Championship and I love my wife and children. There is a difference. My niece tells everyone after a talk on the phone or as she departs company “Love you” as a good bye.

Degree 1 love = my niece’s love you as a good bye

Degree 2 love= I love my teacher for being so patient with me

Degree 3

Degree 4

Degree 10= After many years of living with you and the ups and downs of life I LOVE YOU!

OK, now I am going to watch the movie “The Jerk” so I can lighten up a bit!

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0

kmrichard7

May 20, 2015
✟10,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My husband said it after three months of dating. I was unable to return the sentiment for quite some time after.
We also survived a failed engagement before becoming engaged and married haha.

Its easy to let yourself fall in love quickly. Most people understand though that you need to make sure the person is right and the fit is right before letting yourself get that involved with someone.
I cared about him when he said I love you, but I simply didnt know him or us well enough to invest that much of me at that point

Reactions: sdmsanjose
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband said it after three months of dating. I was unable to return the sentiment for quite some time after.
We also survived a failed engagement before becoming engaged and married haha.

Its easy to let yourself fall in love quickly. Most people understand though that you need to make sure the person is right and the fit is right before letting yourself get that involved with someone.
I cared about him when he said I love you, but I simply didnt know him or us well enough to invest that much of me at that point
There is also a difference between saying "I love your hair; heels; tattoos, etc." and "I love you"....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We use it alot. But its dependent on the situation. Often after a fight we settle and will say I love you. When she goes off to work I say I love you. Before we sleep we say I love you. I do think theres a line for some where saying it constantly can kind of wear down the meaning of it. Just as when someone always makes promises, but doesn't keep most of them. Eventually it becomes a meaningless phrase that you don't care about anymore.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You ever think people are just too quick to use that phrase with each other in dating?

For example, I posted a little while ago about this couple we know that's splitting up and how she's already found some other dude in her AA group. Well, now on FB they're exchanging all sorts of "I love you" posts.

They've been "together" for like two months or so now...and under the circumstance it just makes me wince.

It could be I'm too much on the opposite end of the spectrum...because apart from immediate family members - I've only said "I love you" to two people my whole life...lol One was my ex wife and one is my wife.

Dunno - what do you think?

Maybe some people in our culture attach too much significance in a relationship to the words, "I love you."

I saw a clip from the movie 'Idiocracy' where the Greeter at a store tells everyone, "Hello, I love you" as they walk by.

Upvote 0

Honesty-SJ

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
✟26,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the words, "I love you" are exchanged, especially in an intimate relationship, it's best to understand that you should say it with sincerity. I've been left to my own dealings since I was young so unfortunately I've said it to some of the wrong people. Mostly just believing that's what you're supposed to say to someone when you've had a liking for them.

However, it was something special when my husband told me he loved me. Not only am I the only person he has ever said he loves in a romantic fashion, he told me he loved me in the first 2 weeks. He's always been the talkative type and when he wasn't speaking for a moment, I asked him what was up and he said he couldn't think of anything else but "I think I love you".
He knew he loved me, he just didn't know if I felt the same way especially so early on. I smiled at him, kissed him and told him I loved him as well. It wasn't just butterflies or that puppy love because it had been such a short time. I knew from the first night that this was the man I was going to marry. 9 months later, we married and have been happily so for just over 2 years.
So, in my opinion, I think it depends on the person and if they can actually understand what "love" is. It's an intentional, life long commitment you make to your spouse when you tell them you love them so it shouldn't be based on that fuzzy feeling people seem to have when they first meet someone that typically causes them to be impulsive in their thoughts and actions.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This discussion reminds me of a sermon illustration:

http://www.sermoncentral.com/illust...ncentral-staff-stories-sinbondageto-61956.asp

A college man walked into a photography studio with a framed picture of his girlfriend. He wanted the picture duplicated. This involved removing it from the frame. In doing this, the studio owner noticed the inscription on the back of the photograph: “My dearest Tom, I love you with all my heart. I love you more and more each day. I will love you forever and ever. I am yours for all eternity.” It was signed "Helen,” and it contained a P.S.: “If we ever break up, I want this picture back.”

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I only knew each other for less than a month and I said "I love you" before I even started dating my Wife. I sincerely meant it too I was madly in love with her. We even started talking about having Children together and marrying each other before we even dated. And the strange part is, it was like we meant it because that's exactly what happened. Well, we're childless now But, we will have children one day.

It took her about 3 days after I said it to say it back to me and about two weeks to start dating me (I wouldn't really take no for an answer). We got engaged and moved in together 4 months after that and we married Last July (We just had our first anniversary Saturday) We've been together for almost two and a half years now and we've been happily married for a year and neither of us can ever really live without each other.

So yeah, we moved fast. But, I don't regret a single thing we ever did. I don't regret a single thing I ever said to her back then. Well, maybe I regret the sexual contact that we had while engaged to each other. But, other than that I regret nothing. She really is the best woman I could have ever asked for and I wouldn't trade her for the world and neither would she. Our marriage is definitely not flawless and we fight a lot But, what marriage is?

It all depends on the person you say it to, and how they want to take it. Some people like "I love you" too early and some people don't. My Wife was just one of those girls who happened to take it really well and was really glad that I was so struck with her, and that I was so sincere because she was really struck with me. And sometimes? You just know. I knew I would marry my Wife before I even met her for some strange reason (I met her on a message board). Probably because I had already chosen her in my heart as the woman I would spend the rest of my life with. And, eh I was right. I will be with her forever. I'm one of the few men that can say that with definitive certainty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By mmbattlestar

My wife and I only knew each other for less than a month and I said "I love you"

It took her about 3 days after I said it to say it back to me

we've been happily married for a year

I knew I would marry my Wife before I even met her for some strange reason (I met her on a message board).

Mmbattlstar
Your post and excitement and infatuation with your wife is moving. However, your love for you wife has not been tested for very long. I am not saying that you and your wife do not love each other it is just that you have not been tested for many years. I hope that after 20-30 years you and your wife are still really “struck” with each other as you are in your first year.

Having met your wife on the internet for less than a month and you saying “I love you” is very romantic but seems very rare. I will say this; you and your wife have a GREAT start and I hope that you and your wife continue your love for each other for the next 50 years. Your expressed love for your wife is definitely a higher degree than the degree 1 and 2 that I mentioned in my last post.

You seem to be very confident with your statement below:

By mmbattlestar

I will be with her forever. I'm one of the few men that can say that with definitive certainty.

My main point in my last post was that I think that the “I Love you” is trivial and demeaning to the true power of the word when it is used in such situations as I described in my last post (degree 1 and degree 2). Mmbattlestar, even though your love has not been tested for many years, your love is much higher than what I described in my previous sentence.

Using the words “I love you” in such trivial situations just seems to diminish the great power that true love has. I have seen people in love with the words “I love you” that they will jump in with both feet before they test the love to see if it is real and deep.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Mmbattlstar
Your post and excitement and infatuation with your wife is moving. However, your love for you wife has not been tested for very long. I am not saying that you and your wife do not love each other it is just that you have not been tested for many years. I hope that after 20-30 years you and your wife are still really “struck” with each other as you are in your first year.

Having met your wife on the internet for less than a month and you saying “I love you” is very romantic but seems very rare. I will say this; you and your wife have a GREAT start and I hope that you and your wife continue your love for each other for the next 50 years. Your expressed love for your wife is definitely a higher degree than the degree 1 and 2 that I mentioned in my last post.

You seem to be very confident with your statement below:

My main point in my last post was that I think that the “I Love you” is trivial and demeaning to the true power of the word when it is used in such situations as I described in my last post (degree 1 and degree 2). Mmbattlestar, even though your love has not been tested for many years, your love is much higher than what I described in my previous sentence.

Using the words “I love you” in such trivial situations just seems to diminish the great power that true love has. I have seen people in love with the words “I love you” that they will jump in with both feet before they test the love to see if it is real and deep.

You're right, I haven't known my Wife for an extremely long time. I moved really fast with her, and most people today probably wouldn't have moved as fast as we did. Life is extremely strange. My Grandmother got married at 23 years old after only knowing my Grandfather for a few weeks.

That's right, a few weeks. So they moved A LOT faster than my Wife and I did and quite frankly? I don't think even I would do that. But, they were together until my Grandfather passed away 5 years ago. I still consider them together because my Grandmother has remained faithful to my Grandfather and hasn't dated anyone since he passed. My Grandfather would be 91 years old if he was still alive and it would have been their 61st anniversary last month.

So, sometimes when you know the person is the right person, you just know. It can take a few weeks or it can take days. Or it can take years, it all depends.

I mostly wanted to make the point though of, I don't regret it. Nor will I ever regret it. Our marriage has problems but, what marriage doesn't? Even if my Wife and I dated for 10 years before getting married the end result would still be the same. We still would have argued a lot and we still would have talked through our disagreements. We still probably would have had sex and have had children at the same time that we will have children now.

As for saying "I love you" really early, I felt that I loved my Wife at the time I said it so, I said it. My Wife didn't Judge me for it because she knew that it came from the heart and that I did feel at the time like, I loved her. She wasn't quite ready to say it back because she didn't 100% feel it. But, a few days later she did say it back.

I am confident in my statement because, I trust my Wife and I trust in the LORD. If I didn't trust my Wife what would the point marrying her? What would be the point in living together everyday?

We've been through a lot in the last 2 and a half years that we've been together. It's a very short period of time but, we got through a lot of things. We got through poverty, we got through almost losing the house that my parents set up for me, we got through her Father having a stroke, we got through the countless pointless arguments and inane disagreements equivalant to who left the toilet seat up. We got through my Father's recent car accident, we got through... well, lots of stuff. It's been a busy 2 and a half years.

I am confident that we will be together forever because, neither of us really believe in Divorce. The Bible and the LORD have been very clear on their stances of Divorce.

We believe that once you make those sacred vows, that's it you're bound to each other for eternity. So, that's another reason why I am 100% confident that we will be together for eternity. That, and when you actually stop and think about the things that seem so big to you, they're not really all that big. So what if you're poor? So what if you're in constant debt? Is that REALLY going to change your life much? Is that REALLY worth breaking the vows that you made to each other over? Because, in the end NONE of this stuff is going to carry with you through death. NONE OF IT. But, your spouse WILL. You start to learn what's really important in life and all of your countless arguments just start to sound silly. Like, who really cares if the toilet seat is up or down? Either way you look at it, one sex has to quit being lazy and actually put the toilet seat down.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm a long way behind the loop on this (long, long CF break), but I believe that those who say ILY super early in the relationship often are narcissists. This is the way that they hook their 'target' into the relationship. Other than that, in this hyper-Hollywood movie climate (yawn) it has become de rigueur to behave in that way.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a long way behind the loop on this (long, long CF break), but I believe that those who say ILY super early in the relationship often are narcissists. This is the way that they hook their 'target' into the relationship. Other than that, in this hyper-Hollywood movie climate (yawn) it has become de rigueur to behave in that way.

Good to see you back Hetta...

I told my wife I loved her relatively quickly, maybe third date or within two weeks of dating....and I am a bit of a narcissist.

I did mean it though...still do.

Upvote 0