Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the Bible God created the Earth first and then He created the Sun. Science confirms that this is true. The Earth is 43 million years older then the Sun.

In Job 31:26a the Hebrew word for light is actually translated as "Sun". "If I beheld the sun when it shined,"

Earth 4.543 billion years
Sun 4.5 billion years

1:1 In the beginning God created * the heaven and the earth.
1:2
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
1:4
And God saw * the light, that it was good: and God divided * the light from the darkness.
1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
1) heaven, heavens, sky
1a) visible heavens, sky
1a1) as abode of the stars
1a2) as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc
1b) Heaven (as the abode of God)

1) light
1a) light of day
1b) light of heavenly luminaries (moon, sun, stars)
1c) day-break, dawn, morning light
1d) daylight
1e) lightning
1f) light of lamp
1g) light of life
1h) light of prosperity
1i) light of instruction
1j) light of face (fig.)
1k) Jehovah as Israel's light

Reactions: DennisTate

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
According to the Bible God created the Earth first and then He created the Sun. Science confirms that this is true. The Earth is 43 million years older then the Sun.

In Job 31:26a the Hebrew word for light is actually translated as "Sun". "If I beheld the sun when it shined,"

Sun 4.5 billion years

Got a citation there, champ? I suspect you might be looking at two different sources, only one of which has rounded down.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟132,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Sun 4.5 billion years

1:1 In the beginning God created * the heaven and the earth.
1:2
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
1:4
And God saw * the light, that it was good: and God divided * the light from the darkness.
1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
1) heaven, heavens, sky
1a) visible heavens, sky
1a1) as abode of the stars
1a2) as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc
1b) Heaven (as the abode of God)

1) light
1a) light of day
1b) light of heavenly luminaries (moon, sun, stars)
1c) day-break, dawn, morning light
1d) daylight
1e) lightning
1f) light of lamp
1g) light of life
1h) light of prosperity
1i) light of instruction
1j) light of face (fig.)
1k) Jehovah as Israel's light

Your 1:2 is an incorrect translation of the Hebrew. The word is "hayah" to fall out - to become - not "was" as in it's original condition - but the condition it fell into.

so it should be.

1:2 And the earth "became" desolate and waste; and darkness "became" upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Since tohu wa bohu is used nowhere else together except this verse and 2 other places (Jeremiah 4:23, Isaiah 34:11) both of which speak of a once flourishing condition laid desolate and waste.

But the first two chapters of genesis and versus pointing to it is the only place in the entire Bible where "hayah" is translated as "was."

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Sun 4.5 billion years
Even if this was true, good luck explaining the stars, which all have different ages, many of which exceed that of earth and the star we orbit.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Got a citation there, champ? I suspect you might be looking at two different sources, only one of which has rounded down.
I just googled it and used whatever came up first. It maybe difficult for science to say if the earth or the sun is older because the math they use is not that accurate. The Sun they measure how much hydrogen has been converted and the earth they measure the age of the rocks.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if this was true, good luck explaining the stars, which all have different ages, many of which exceed that of earth and the star we orbit.
According to Carl Sagan we are star stuff.

tumblr_ltqwu3ZarN1qe9qi2o1_500.jpg
Lawrence-Krauss-You-are-all-stardust1.png

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just googled it and used whatever came up first. It maybe difficult for science to say if the earth or the sun is older because the math they use is not that accurate. The Sun they measure how much hydrogen has been converted and the earth they measure the age of the rocks.
Try using a source that discusses both of them

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I just googled it and used whatever came up first.

That's a pretty terrible way of gaining knowledge. Information is only as useful as the interpreter of that information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try using a source that discusses both of them
I repeat, the way they determine the age of the earth is DIFFERENT from the way they determine the age of the Sun. Sometimes there assume that the sun is the same age as the rest of the solar system and just assign it an age based on the age of the planets and the metors. Still I think there is something more basic here. For the skeptic and scoffers they want proof or evidence. Yet for me I just don't want any contradictions. So it is enough that science does not falsify the Bible in any way. I can understand people being agnostic. The problem is that God does not accept it. You are either for God or against Him. You are in or out, If you do not gather you scatter. This form is plenty of evidence FOR God simply because people are fighting against God. You can not fight against something that does not exist. Science is agnostic, there is no evidence against God, there is only evidence for God. Or in the least evidence that shows the Bible is accurate and true. I do not worry about what we can not prove because there is plenty enough in the Bible that we can prove is true. The skeptics and scoffers speculate, but we do not have to speculate because we have put the Bible to the test and we have seen the evidence in our life and in the life of the people we love and care about.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a pretty terrible way of gaining knowledge. Information is only as useful as the interpreter of that information.
The information is as good as your source. I try to stay with people or sources that are known to be dependable. Of course the skeptics and scoffers web sites are always wrong so you have to be careful there. Usually education and government web sites are more dependable.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Now why does that remind me of the old joke:

In a museum, there is a hand-written note beneath the main exhibit: a complete dinosaur skeleton. It reads: 75,000,002 Years, 7 Months and 4 Days old Dinosaur.

A visitor asks the guard, who just placed this sign: "Wow, that is impressive! How can they determine the age of this dinosaur so exactly?"

Oh, that's easy," said the guard: "When I started here, the sign said: '75 Million Years old Dinosaur.' And I have been working here for 2 years, 7 months and 4 days."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Sun 4.5 billion years
If two numbers differ in only the second or third decimal place, to most people that would immediately suggest that one of them has been rounded.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I repeat, the way they determine the age of the earth is DIFFERENT from the way they determine the age of the Sun.

Their ages are based on the best information and techniques available. Also note with those age determinations there is a margin of error which you omitted. I would suggest that those margins of error overlap. In post #6 you stated: "It maybe difficult for science to say if the earth or the sun is older because the math they use is not that accurate." Would you mind showing how that math is not that accurate?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Justatruthseeker

Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟132,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Because they ignore that at this time the sun and stars were "appointed" to serve as signs and symbols for religious events and for when to plant and sow.

"and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years"

The fact that we have an evening and a morning before supposedly the sun even existed disqualifies the belief the sun and moon and stars were created on the 4th day.

At this point they became fully visible in the heavens - the mist that had obscured them finally clearing up due to the Heat that had begun penetrating those clouds. Causing evaporation and dry land appeared. Land was already there, it was simply covered by water during the destruction which caused the darkness to encompass the earth and caused the dinosaurs to become extinct.

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟132,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The earth was already flourishing with life prior to man. Life that has went extinct in several eras, after which all new forms of life arose. It's that gap game back again. Then the last catastrophe struck.

In the oldest manuscripts there is a mark of a pause between the first and second verse. It may be as science tells us, that this globe existed millions of years ago; that it has been the habitation of numerous and varied races of animated beings; and that it has undergone many great destructions and creations before it was brought into its present state: none of these views are in the least discordant with the statement of the inspired historian, that “in beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

In twenty places in this chapter the verb “was” is used as the equivalent to “became”. The true meaning of the Hebrew word "hayah".

The Earth "became" desolate and waste, (tohu wa bohu - used nowhere else together in the Bible except this verse and two other places, and always when used elsewhere point to a once flourishing condition that was then laid waste - Gen 1:2; Isa. 34:11; Jer. 4:23) and darkness overspread the Earth. At this time (man) did not exist prior, nor any of the current animals found with skeletons of modern man, except in a few rare cases as in one or two classes of reptiles and fish that survived this worldwide cataclysm, and the untold number before, told of before science had ever thought of such a thing as possible.

Comet, meteor? Who knows? It is quite accurate when interpreted properly. After unknown periods of time another act of creation occurred, this time with a notable exception, one worth bothering to describe in more detail, unlike any others that may have occurred previously. But then a new creation happened, the waters were separated from the waters (evaporation). "Let there be light...divided the light from the darkness". In Hebrew literally: " divided between the light and between darkness." Where all had previously been darkness due to the destruction, the addition of heat began separating the clouds. The events in the entire chapter are described as if one's viewpoint is from the earth.

It must be noted that the word 'ohr is not the same word used in verse 14 signifying "lights," or "luminaries," ma-'ohr; rather, it signifies "heat." the effect, which immediately followed is described in the name Day, which in Hebrew signifies "warmth."

So heat began penetrating into the depths after God acted, separating the clouds, letting light into the depths, the clouds had been so low as to contact the Earth itself. But heat allowed evaporation and the waters above were separated from the waters below and dry land appeared.

The next is just a twisted version by evolutionists. The creatures in the waters formed first, in Hebrew discourses this includes all microbial and plant life in the seas. Then reptiles and crawling things and finally birds of the air. Then mammals and man. This is where evolution theory got their idea of the order from, the Bible told them long ago. They knew the truth and so modeled their theory upon this same basis. But again, the lack of transitory species makes their interpretation of the events in the Bible suspect. If evolution is indeed correct, where are the transitory species today? Did it only occur in the past? Instead all we see is "Kind after Kind" and different "breeds" or "strains" or "species" within those Kinds. Lines which are "never" crossed. Lines which never become so different we can't recognize they are all of the same Kind. All Felidae are Felidae. All Canidae are Canidae. All Caprinae are Caprinae.

We know of no other thing, even down to the genetic level, which thanks to technological advancements, is showing that tree is nothing but individual distinct bushes, with sideways variation. I.e., different "breeds, or strains, or species, or subspecies, etc.", within that kind - or bush. Never once indicating a transitional form to another "kind". Even after billions of generations and billions of mutations, all E. coli are still E. coli, and always will be. All Felidae, no matter how many times we breed them or even mutate them in the lab, will always be Felidae.

Every past form of life sprang from nowhere, lived for a time, different breeds of that kind prospering, then went extinct due to cataclysmic actions. In its place all new life once again sprang up, to again repeat the cycle. The Bible just affirms this, when it told you of the earth becoming desolate and waste, and the darkness that became upon it, encompassing it around. Hence the dinosaurs died out. It then described the "sixth" such event, when man himself was created.

There have been 5 - count them, 5 major extinction events. Mankind and the animals with him were created "after" this 5th extinction event, the 6th creative act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Transitory species nothing more than an incorrect classification of the fossil record. As science is beginning to understand from actual study of their bones.

2 of every three classified incorrectly just in the 12 major dinosaurs of North America. And this does not even include the multitude of minor Kinds. the gaps grow larger as real science comes on the scene to do away with the past myths of evolutionists.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The fact that we have an evening and a morning before supposedly the sun even existed disqualifies the belief the sun and moon and stars were created on the 4th day.

Ah, so Genesis is to be read absolutely literally, except for when we are in a tight spot we need to wriggle out of.

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟132,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The 5th creation - dinosaurs - is why people that interpret it incorrectly can't reconcile it with the second chapter in which animals ) mammals were created after man. Man is a recent creation - not the earth or life itself. Soon there will be a 6th destruction and a 7th and final creation - in which all new forms of life will again arise - including a lion that eats straw.

Upvote 0