You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I'm getting the irony.

But there still is plenty of petticoats and girltalk.

I mean I'm all for girly girls, but ugh it's frustrating to read.

Lol I'll tell you a secret.. I never managed to read through the whole book at a time.. I needed serious breaks inbetween :blush: :D

I found Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Persuasion were all much more readable. But that's just me.

Upvote 0

MehTeh

Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
✟15,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol I'll tell you a secret.. I never managed to read through the whole book at a time.. I needed serious breaks inbetween :blush: :D

I found Sense & Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Persuasion were all much more readable. But that's just me.

Shhh. Don't let the other women see that. You'll be ostracised.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Haha. His beard looks happy to hear that :p I do think he was ahead of his time as far as his social views are concerned. I just have never gotten into his books and the Victorian era is probably my least favourite period of British history.
*spits out tea and turns in horror towards portrait of Queen Victoria*
:sput::aarh:

victoria-1.jpg

Upvote 0

ceh85

Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*spits out tea and turns in horror towards portrait of Queen Victoria*
:sput::aarh:

victoria-1.jpg

I know they were very very productive and made great strides, but I think it must have been a horrible time for lots of people. I find it interesting but I would have hated to be alive then..

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know they were very very productive and made great strides, but I think it must have been a horrible time for lots of people. I find it interesting but I would have hated to be alive then..
No doubt it was. Imperialism is pretty brutal, and if I'd grown up as economically bad off as we were it would have been pretty terrible. But my nerves can't take such shocks. My monocle fell into my tea. :p

Upvote 0

ceh85

Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No doubt it was. Imperialism is pretty brutal, and if I'd grown up as economically bad off as we were it would have been pretty terrible. But my nerves can't take such shocks. My monocle fell into my tea. :p

:o Lawks!!!! :ahah:

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know they were very very productive and made great strides, but I think it must have been a horrible time for lots of people.

Plus they helped to develop gymnophobia and sexual repression which I think is, in some ways, just as destructive to sexual morality as promiscuity is. Obsession with nudity is still obsession, whether it's positive or negative.

Upvote 0

ceh85

Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Plus they helped to develop gymnophobia and sexual repression which I think is, in some ways, just as destructive to sexual morality as promiscuity is. Obsession with nudity is still obsession, whether it's positive or negative.

Yeah the hypocrisy of that was very harmful I think. Not to mention that behind closed doors they were still up to everything, they were just trying to keep up appearances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums