Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have come to the conclusion there are too many books in the world. People need to stop writing them and let me catch up :D
I remember Anne Rice once saying something like the decision many of us face today is not so much what will I read, but what will I not read. There's so many options you have to make choices. So Sorry, Jane Austen. :p

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember Anne Rice once saying something like the decision many of us face today is not so much what will I read, but what will I not read. There's so many options you have to make choices. So Sorry, Jane Austen. :p

Haha yes! My sincerest apologies go to Mr Dickens, I'm sure you're a great writer and all but I only have so long and I don't want to spend it feeling depressed! :p

Somehow I think he will cope OK with me not reading his books lol.

Reactions: Allen1901
Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Haha yes! My sincerest apologies go to Mr Dickens, I'm sure you're a great writer and all but I only have so long and I don't want to spend it feeling depressed! :p

But...but...Dickens...is...is...wonderful...
:sad:

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have one of these bad boys
periodic_table_shower_curtain.jpg

and regularly go to various biological/zoological conferences of my own free will to listen to talks on the latest research regarding various areas i'm ever so slightly interested in. Genetics is quite possibly the most awesome thing in the world and dissection is truly a work of amazing art. Although not sure if biological/zoological sciences count as nerdiness ... they're too cool to be nerds.

I am however a geek with my Star Trek DVDs, comic collection and fondness for Portal. Oh and i'm rather fond of Dungeons and Dragons, but that's not geeky, that's awesome.

Okay, I am so not into this stuff but I want. Cur! I LOVE ITTT!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehTeh

Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
✟15,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ooh. Sometimes I think that's my dream job! I have probably half a bookcase of books I've bought and haven't had time to read because I already have a pile to read!

And then I go to the library and get more out :doh:

Libraries and I don't mix. They keep wanting me to bring the books back.

I play Final Fantasy... :/

I like 8 the best.

But...but...Dickens...is...is...wonderful...
:sad:

I like David Copperfield.

So is Jane Austen :p

I'll read his stuff if you read hers? :holy: :smirk:

I've read about 1/4 of P&P. It's frustrating.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't like most of Dickens' work. Dude never heard of "show, don't tell". Nobody needs to read 2 and a half pages describing a puddle.
Victorians loved language and had more patience with those that took forays into it. That's before the dang modernists ruined everything.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some of Dickens' contemporaries were better writers than he was, in my opinion as a writer. I see him as a good example of someone being regarded as good because he was popular (because his writing coincided with the emergence of mass-printing technology, and he was paid by the word which ensured lots and lots of output) rather than popular because he was good. However, though I do have reasons for that other than personal preference, it is still a matter of taste in the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ceh85

Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I've had a copy of Pride and Prejudice for a while. I suppose I could finally look at it.

Libraries and I don't mix. They keep wanting me to bring the books back.

I know, so annoying isn't it. I'm terrible for renewing them about a million times :sorry:

I've read about 1/4 of P&P. It's frustrating.

Yeah it's actually not my fave but might be a good one for a guy to read. There is a LOT of irony in her books, and quite a bit of subtle humour. It's not all petticoats and girltalk :p

I don't like most of Dickens' work. Dude never heard of "show, don't tell". Nobody needs to read 2 and a half pages describing a puddle.

LOL. True enough.

When I was 10 I started reading Great Expectations every day in class reading time because the other books were so dire (Goosebumps or 'Lorra Doone' lol). I got to the final chapter and then left school before I could finish it. :doh:!!!!!!!! Although to be honest by that point I didn't really care how it ended...

Upvote 0

ceh85

Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
chd_2w.jpg

Don't worry, Chuck. I still love you.

Haha. His beard looks happy to hear that :p I do think he was ahead of his time as far as his social views are concerned. I just have never gotten into his books and the Victorian era is probably my least favourite period of British history.

Upvote 0

MehTeh

Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
✟15,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah it's actually not my fave but might be a good one for a guy to read. There is a LOT of irony in her books, and quite a bit of subtle humour. It's not all petticoats and girltalk :p

LOL. True enough.

When I was 10 I started reading Great Expectations every day in class reading time because the other books were so dire (Goosebumps or 'Lorra Doone' lol). I got to the final chapter and then left school before I could finish it. :doh:!!!!!!!! Although to be honest by that point I didn't really care how it ended...

Oh, I'm getting the irony.

But there still is plenty of petticoats and girltalk.

I mean I'm all for girly girls, but ugh it's frustrating to read.

Upvote 0