PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This thread makes me want to turn my avatar back to the "Talk Nerdy To Me" one. I guess I'm just nerdy because I read history books for fun, enjoy watching or reading the news and watching documentaries. I also like to have discussions similar to ones that occur in university classrooms. I find discussing Buddhism or history to be much more interesting than talking about the Packers, which is what most people want to talk about around here.

Some of the posts in this thread seem more geeky than nerdy. I'm not really a geek, though I have nothing against those of a geeky nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehTeh

Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
✟15,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That might depend on your definition of nerd. I have heard different ones.

For me, a nerd is generally socially inept and it focused on one of a number of areas. Math, Science, Literature, Computers etc.

Geeks were always fans of a particular subset. So comics, Star Trek, Trains.

Nerds were awkward everywhere and often loners, geeks were awkward outside of their common interest groups.

Lately geek has become mainstream and can be attached to any subset. Glee, Harry Potter, Twilight as well as their traditional subsets.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

For me, a nerd is generally socially inept and it focused on one of a number of areas. Math, Science, Literature, Computers etc.

Geeks were always fans of a particular subset. So comics, Star Trek, Trains.

Nerds were awkward everywhere and often loners, geeks were awkward outside of their common interest groups.

Lately geek has become mainstream and can be attached to any subset. Glee, Harry Potter, Twilight as well as their traditional subsets.

My understanding is more complicated than this, but basically nerds seem more academic, while geeks seem more into computers or sci-fi-y or have a very strong interest in something... like Twilight or whatever. But I suppose the nerd vs. geek thing is a subject for another thread. :sorry: I'll stop derailing now.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When I moved, all my clothes fit into my back seat along with a box of my miscellaneous stuff. In the trunk was two big boxes and a plastic crate filled with books. My apartment is book town. :)

That's one of the things about working at a library. Nearly every time I work I find something new to check out. :D

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I moved, all my clothes fit into my back seat along with a box of my miscellaneous stuff. In the trunk was two big boxes and a plastic crate filled with books. My apartment is book town. :)

That's one of the things about working at a library. Nearly every time I work I find something new to check out. :D

Ooh. Sometimes I think that's my dream job! I have probably half a bookcase of books I've bought and haven't had time to read because I already have a pile to read!

And then I go to the library and get more out :doh:

Reactions: Allen1901
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ooh. Sometimes I think that's my dream job! I have probably half a bookcase of books I've bought and haven't had time to read because I already have a pile to read!

And then I go to the library and get more out :doh:
I tend to do the same thing. I'll never get 'em all read.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I love Robotech the Macross saga, as well as Starblazers. Okay I'm showing my age here... lol

but that's my nerdy side. I don't go blowing entire paychecks on collectibles like those Disney and Star Wars freaks, lol.

Also, I have never been to Comic Con. And I don't do any computer "gaming".

World of Warcraft? what the heck is that, all I know is I love women too much for all that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
M310.jpg

Oh man, you're gonna get all the sexy nerdy chics with this shirt.:D

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
According to evolutionary psychology.. those that train their blades for justice do so just to get laid. Maybe you should educate them on how to really make sex everything and make it work

According to evolutionary psychology, women flirt unconsciously...

Oh wait, that's true!

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have one of these bad boys
periodic_table_shower_curtain.jpg

and regularly go to various biological/zoological conferences of my own free will to listen to talks on the latest research regarding various areas i'm ever so slightly interested in. Genetics is quite possibly the most awesome thing in the world and dissection is truly a work of amazing art. Although not sure if biological/zoological sciences count as nerdiness ... they're too cool to be nerds.

I am however a geek with my Star Trek DVDs, comic collection and fondness for Portal. Oh and i'm rather fond of Dungeons and Dragons, but that's not geeky, that's awesome.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

For me, a nerd is generally socially inept

Check

and it focused on one of a number of areas. Math, Science, Literature, Computers etc.

If economics, philosophy and history count, then check.

Nerds were awkward everywhere and often loners

I do have a few close friends, but I am pretty awkward in general...

Upvote 0