How much Scripture should I read per day?

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not so much that you strain your eyes or neglect other areas of life. The monks of old divided their days up with some time for Scripture, some time for work, time for sleep, time for prayer and time for food. A balanced life is a good one.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Balance is good, both in your life (as Macx said), but also in your scripture reading. There is no right answer to how much is enough. Everyone is a little different, but here's what I do (for what it's worth):

1. Chapter reading: Just what it sounds like... reading the Bible a chapter at a time.

2. Daily devotionals: I have one in book form that I do every day. It only takes about 5-10 minutes. I also occasionally read others from an online library that I have.

3. Bible study: Here is where I research a theme or passage using a study bible, online resources, and most recently the logos 4 software. It's kind of like surfing the Bible... jumping around between cross-references, reading commentaries, looking up meanings of original words, etc.

4. Listening to bible study podcasts: usually while driving to work.

I try to do at least two of the above every day. The time varies between 30 minutes and a few hours depending what else I'm doing. If you include the podcasts, I probably average 1-2 hours per day.

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Reading scripture on a daily basis is not a necessity.

Personally, I listen to scripture on CDs I have far more than I do reading.

Reading scriptures daily can be helpful, it is how we grow, that is where we learn more about God. If you have a desire to read scripture then read scripture. How much should you read? However much you want to read.

If you don't have the desire to read scripture and you force yourself to read it, this is not a good thing though having said that you could see the benefit of it later in life.

But what is also very important is your relationship with God. I think it is important to try and have a prayerful mindset through out the day. If this is the case, then because you are constantly talking with God, your likelihood of falling into sin decreases and you will be much more happier.

Jesus prayed so much in his life (sometimes he spent the whole night praying) and I would like to emphasis the importance prayer not because it is something you should do but because it is something you want to do. Maintaining that close link with God brings you closer and closer to him and the more joyful we become.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are Encouraged to Study the Scripture
  • John 5:39, “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.”
  • Acts 17:10-11, “Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.”
  • Psalm 119:105, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
  • 2 Timothy 2:15, “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
God wrote us an instruction book. It only makes sense that we should spend some time reading it. God created us to live a spiritual life. But in order to do that, we have to learn from his word how he wants us to live our life. The instructions in the Bible will help us to become a better Christian. A lot of people have different opinions about God. But if you want to learn what God is really like, you will find out in the pages of the Bible. I think that reading the Bible helps to give direction to our life is the change in our thinking that occurs. As we read God’s word, our priorities change -- our focus on what is truly important shifts. As our priorities are replaced by God’s priorities, we discover new directions that the Lord wants to take us.

Its extremely important to know God so when you are praying you can hear him and know its his voice and his ways that that answer. Each person develops what is the right amount of time for that, but given how important it is, I would make it a priority.

Upvote 0
R

Robin Shawn

Read as much as is comfortable for you.

When I was spiritually sick, I didn't have an appetite for The Word, but now the Holy Spirit dwelling in me has given me a hunger, and I even crave The Word.

Let me warn you that you can read just to be reading, and not even remember what you've read. It is good to meditate on The Word and really digest it. I like to write out Scripture that has special meaning for me. I use index cards so that I can re-read and memorize. I also like to read Bible handbooks and guides to enrich my understanding.

You will know that you are healthy spiritually if you have an appetite for The Word!

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Read with the understanding that God is actually speaking to you, not just to the characters in the bible. I read more when I am confronted with troubles and when I have doubts about major decisions in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gfletcherd

Prayer Warrior
Apr 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟7,680.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How much you read depends on you and God. You keep reading until God tells you that's enough. When you sit down and read your bible, ask God to lead you. The bible says, Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15.

Upvote 0