How many dozens of Christians did creationism drive away this past hour?

How many Christians did creationism drive away in the past hour?

• Hundreds (over ~60% of cause)

• ~180 (~50% of cause)

• ~100 (~25% of cause)*

• 40 or less (<10% of cause)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As many of us here know, Barna research* has shown that the denial of scientific data about reality is one of main reasons ex-Christians give for why they left Christianity. A major (perhaps biggest) source of this reality denial in churches is creationism.

Now we have data as to how many people are leaving Christianity in the US.

It turns out to be over 1% , or over 3 million people each year. That's nearly 10,000 each day, or 366 per hour - about a person every 10 seconds. In the time it took you to read this far, another 5 people left their church, never to return. Christians lose ground, &#039;nones&#039; soar in new portrait of US religion - Religion News Service

Creationism is, of course, only part of why they leave. But how big a part, on average? If it's only 10%, then that's still about 40 people a day leaving due to creationism. If creationism makes up most of the reason, then that could be as high as hundreds of people a day.

What do you think? You can vote for your estimate.

In Christ-

Papias

*Barna data says that around 25% cite this as a reason they left - among teens. https://www.barna.org/teens-next-gen-articles/528-six-reasons-young-christians-leave-church

Reactions: Armoured

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As many of us here know, Barna research* has shown that the denial of scientific data about reality is one of main reasons ex-Christians give for why they left Christianity. A major (perhaps biggest) source of this reality denial in churches is creationism.

It turns out to be over 1% , or over 3 million people each year. That's nearly 10,000 each day, or 366 per hour - about a person every 10 seconds. In the time it took you to read this far, another 5 people left their church, never to return. Christians lose ground, 'nones' soar in new portrait of US religion - Religion News Service

Creationism is, of course, only part of why they leave. But how big a part, on average? If it's only 10%, then that's still about 40 people a day leaving due to creationism. If creationism makes up most of the reason, then that could be as high as hundreds of people a day.

In Christ-

Papias

*Barna data says that around 25% cite this as a reason they left - among teens. https://www.barna.org/teens-next-gen-articles/528-six-reasons-young-christians-leave-church

Pew just released this as well:

America&#8217;s Changing Religious Landscape | Pew Research Center

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It turns out to be over 1% , or over 3 million people each year. That's nearly 10,000 each day, or 366 per hour - about a person every 10 seconds. In the time it took you to read this far, another 5 people left their church, never to return. Christians lose ground, 'nones' soar in new portrait of US religion - Religion News Service

In Christ-

Papias

I think the real reason for this is not that Creationism drives them away but that they don't have a real relationship with God and have no other avenue in which to understand or know God. If you don't know that God exists it is all useless anyway.

The Bible warns in the end days that there will be a falling away.

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Once wrote:
I think the real reason for this is not that Creationism drives them away but that they don't have a real relationship with God and have no other avenue in which to understand or know God. If you don't know that God exists it is all useless anyway.

Well, sure.

In this case, it looks like they listen at church, and as creationism is taught, they learn to think that "what they say in church is false", so then when they hear about God at church, the naturally conclude that this too is false, so God doesn't exist. And of course that is a huge stumbling block - placed there by the church itself - to any real relationship with God.

In Christ-

Papias

P. S. Merlin- Yes, of course - that's what the OP said as well. Since we agree it is only one of many reasons, how big a proportion would you say? 25%?

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
People leave the church for many reasons.
This is just one of many excuses.

You are using loaded terminology. Reasons are not necessarily excuses. If you can't show that people left the church needed "excuses" then you have just made a false accusation.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once wrote:

Well, sure.

In this case, it looks like they listen at church, and as creationism is taught, they learn to think that "what they say in church is false", so then when they hear about God at church, the naturally conclude that this too is false, so God doesn't exist. And of course that is a huge stumbling block - placed there by the church itself - to any real relationship with God.

In Christ-

Papias

P. S. Merlin- Yes, of course - that's what the OP said as well. Since we agree it is only one of many reasons, how big a proportion would you say? 25%?

What things do you think that they are learning in Church that is false?

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Excellent OP/Thread

I would imagine that most posters (YEC) we encounter here have little to no background in any physical science and are more than willing to follow and spread the claims put out by Creationist organizations for no other reason that hearing what they want to hear.

If I had no background and/or experience in science I too would probably be caught up in this conformation bias. Fortunately though (Thank God)I do have a considerable academic background and professional experience in the Earth Sciences and Chemistry. Thus it is easy for me to "fact check" information put out by those creationist organizations. What I find is appalling. That is, a lot of "confirmation bias" by "non-professionals", in the area(s) they write about. Additionally, those who actually have "associated" credentials and experience in the areas they write about, I see "Intellectual Dishonesty". The difference between the two is that the latter actually know that their claims are far from scholarly work. That is they only use information that seems to support their position, while ignoring everything that does not.

No wonder Christians are leaving the faith, if Christians have to deliberately misrepresent and lie to support their faith, what credibility does that faith have?

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What things do you think that they are learning in Church that is false?

Here's one list. You can find more by listening to evolution being discussed at many of the more fundamentalist churches.

• Evolution has no scientific support.
  • There are no transitional forms in the fossil record.
  • Evolution denies the existence of God.
  • Evolution teaches that we are mere animals and therefore it is responsible for all evil.
  • Evolution is contrary to the laws of thermodynamics.
  • Creationism is recognized as legitimate science by many leading scientists.
  • Evolution science is a mindless religion.
  • The speed of light has been slowing down
  • The earth's magnetic field has been continuously decaying
  • Scientific evidence supporting evolution has been dishonestly fabricated

Big Lies of Creationism

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's one list. You can find more by listening to evolution being discussed at many of the more fundamentalist churches.

• Evolution has no scientific support.
  • There are no transitional forms in the fossil record.
  • Evolution denies the existence of God.
  • Evolution teaches that we are mere animals and therefore it is responsible for all evil.
  • Evolution is contrary to the laws of thermodynamics.
  • Creationism is recognized as legitimate science by many leading scientists.
  • Evolution science is a mindless religion.
  • The speed of light has been slowing down
  • The earth's magnetic field has been continuously decaying
  • Scientific evidence supporting evolution has been dishonestly fabricated

Big Lies of Creationism

Have you personally ever been in a church that claimed any of those things because I know I haven't.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Have you personally ever been in a church that claimed any of those things because I know I haven't.

As Catholic, my church fully supports evolution. However, yes, I have visited Protestant churches that claimed some of these.

Plus, you and I both have repeatedly seen creationist after creationist claim some of these here as well. What, do you think they just made them up themselves?

Papias

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As Catholic, my church fully supports evolution. However, yes, I have visited Protestant churches that claimed some of these.

Plus, you and I both have repeatedly seen creationist after creationist claim some of these here as well. What, do you think they just made them up themselves?

Papias

No, I don't think they make it up. I think that they are getting information from outside the church for the most part. Although I do know of someone that claims his church had some pretty weird ideas. Regardless, if someone doesn't have a relationship with God they aren't going to know He exists.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

In Christ-

Papias

If a Christian is driven away from Christianity by creationism, then he is not a christian after all. It is not a problem of creationist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If a Christian is driven away from Christianity by creationism, then he is not a christian after all. It is not a problem of creationist.

I'll restate an earlier comment I made you may have missed. "If one has to misrepresent science to support one's religious beliefs, then what does that say about those beliefs?"

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Darn it, I knew I forgot something. I was going to also ask for estimates of how many posts we'd get before a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. My bad.

Once - doesn't someone have to know God exists to have a relationship with Him?

First page by my count

I think the real reason for this is not that Creationism drives them away but that they don't have a real relationship with God and have no other avenue in which to understand or know God.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

It goes deeper than that. We have creationists who make absolutely ridiculous claims about science. They are so wrong that it seriously calls their judgement into question. Those same people are claiming that they are in a relationship with God. If they can be so obviously wrong about scientific facts that could be checked by a simple Google search, why would you ever think they could be right about something that is almost impossible to check?

For some, once they start to question whether their supposed relationship with God is real or not, it is over. Creationism causes you to see why faith should not be trusted.

The Bible warns in the end days that there will be a falling away.

I have found that people can make the Bible say almost anything they want it to say.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Darn it, I knew I forgot something. I was going to also ask for estimates of how many posts we'd get before a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. My bad.

Once - doesn't someone have to know God exists to have a relationship with Him?

Are you serious?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

The ultimate snake oil salesman trick. When the medicine doesn't work, blame the patient.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.