How long have you remained in a state of grace?

How long do you believe you have maintained a state of grace?

• 15 minutes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • One day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One week

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • One month or more

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I like to go regularly, whenever practicable, even if it's for little more than the blessing. I just feel great afterwards. I remember a lad in the army who hadn't been to Mass since his mother died, while he was a child, but he said to me he missed the great sense of peace he felt after confession. It's obviously not a function of the level of guilt wiped away, at that age. Just an expression of god's love. Probably always is.

I suspect a lot of people feel they have to go into endless details about their sins - which is not the case. I acknowledge I can't keep track of the smaller sins, and mostly just confess I don't know how quicky I managed to put lustful thoughts and hateful thoughts out of my mind. I was talking to a girl who all but said how many sugars she put in her coffee, when out with a friend.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's my understanding that you cannot be punished for secular political beliefs. Especially civil rights. You were not campaigning for the Church to get behind performing ceremonies. It is my understanding there is a difference. I thought we were to stand up for the civil rights of all people. Believer or not. But I don't know the whole story. But it sounds bad and if it was as bad as you say, I'm sorry it happened.

Well, yeah, me too.

I keep telling people, the Minnesota gay marriage amendment fight got brutal and ugly real fast. I'd really like to documentary made on it for a a couple of reasons. Our Arch-bishop basically turned the 3rd floor of the chancery into anti-gay marriage central. Then told all the priests to give homilies at least one a month on the subject of the necessity for it's defeat. Then told them to start parish committees to work locally for it's defeat. The cut a DVD (which is still loaded on the youtube if you want to see it) on how gay marriage was going to destroy America and then sent one to EVERY CATHOLIC IN THE TWIN CITIES.

Then things got ugly. The six words in my life that will probably be put on my tombstone because they had THAT big an effect on my life are: Civil Marriage is a civil right.

Someone catching you saying that would get you into a world of hurt in Neinstadt's archdiocese.

So things that happen to you, you may get better but you never get well.

If you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, yeah, me too.

I keep telling people, the Minnesota gay marriage amendment fight got brutal and ugly real fast. I'd really like to documentary made on it for a a couple of reasons. Our Arch-bishop basically turned the 3rd floor of the chancery into anti-gay marriage central. Then told all the priests to give homilies at least one a month on the subject of the necessity for it's defeat. Then told them to start parish committees to work locally for it's defeat. The cut a DVD (which is still loaded on the youtube if you want to see it) on how gay marriage was going to destroy America and then sent one to EVERY CATHOLIC IN THE TWIN CITIES.

Then things got ugly. The six words in my life that will probably be put on my tombstone because they had THAT big an effect on my life are: Civil Marriage is a civil right.

Someone catching you saying that would get you into a world of hurt in Neinstadt's archdiocese.

So things that happen to you, you may get better but you never get well.

If you know what I mean.
I'd like to see a documentary on that. I mean, why was he so rabid about it? Seems a bit odd since his job to to take care of the flock and not bully them over human rights. I could understand the ferver if there was a bill to force Churches to go against their beliefs. But that wasn't the case. He surely cannot expect people outside the Church to not have any human rights. Given that this was so public there I am surprised that this did not catch the ears of higher ups to reel him in.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to see a documentary on that. I mean, why was he so rabid about it? Seems a bit odd since his job to to take care of the flock and not bully them over human rights. I could understand the gerber if there was a bill to force Churches to go against their beliefs. But that wasn't the case. He surely cannot expect people outside the Church to not have any human rights. Given that this was so public there I am surprised that this did not catch the ears of higher up to reel him in.

He's been removed and is now an assistance pastor at some parish in, I don't know, Detroit I think.

But between you and me he had some issues with homosexuals. The Cities are a big gay area and heavily Catholic.

Neinstadt came in, told parents of gay children to attempt to "correct" their behavior and show disapproval of their lifestyle, stop giving communion to people wearing rainbow movement buttons or sashes (and rainbow movement is really a big thing even among hetro's here), stopped the gay masses in the Minneapolis churches (once a month every 3rd Sunday) and just generally didn't like anything having to do with same sex anything.

The Minnesota 1 fight took him over the edge I think.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He's been removed and is now an assistance pastor at some parish in, I don't know, Detroit I think.

But between you and me he had some issues with homosexuals. The Cities are a big gay area and heavily Catholic.

Neinstadt came in, told parents of gay children to attempt to "correct" their behavior and show disapproval of their lifestyle, stop giving communion to people wearing rainbow movement buttons or sashes (and rainbow movement is really a big thing even among hetro's here), stopped the gay masses in the Minneapolis churches (once a month every 3rd Sunday) and just generally didn't like anything having to do with same sex anything.

The Minnesota 1 fight took him over the edge I think.
That is quite a big demotion. I imagine more than a few left because of that mess. Millstones come to mind.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That is quite a big demotion. I imagine more than a few left because of that mess. Millstones come to mind.

I don't like the guy and he got caught holding the bag when the abuse stuff hit the fan here but I reluctant to go all "millstones" on him.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't like the guy and he got caught holding the bag when the abuse stuff hit the fan here but I reluctant to go all "millstones" on him.
Well it reminds me of it simply because instead of caring for the flock he was abusing the flock. He was concerned with the secular and if what you say is true, using the sacraments as a weapon...causing some in the flock to leave, I don't know what else would come to mind. Millstones sounds appropriate. Hopefully he has repented.

Upvote 0