How long have you remained in a state of grace?

How long do you believe you have maintained a state of grace?

• 15 minutes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • One day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One week

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • One month or more

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was the message that people in mortal sin don't go to confession? I'm confused.
I was told, when I thought I was in mortal sin, that I wasn't because I was there, at Confession. If I had been in mirtal sin I would not have been at Confession. And that venial sins are dealt with in Mass

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is so strange! I have never heard of that until now! :eek:
Yes Michie, that was the message - because mirtal sin by uts very nature cuts you totally off from God so you would not be going to Confession. Mi was confused too. They seemed very lax to me

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Yes Michie, that was the message - because mirtal sin by uts very nature cuts you totally off from God so you would not be going to Confession. Mi was confused too. They seemed very lax to me

This isn't correct.
The Holy Spirit makes us go to confession to be reconciled with God through the sacrament.

The Holy Spirit doesn't abandon you just because you're in mortal sin.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of it made sense to me. I ended up very confused indeed. But anyway, I confessed the sin and received Absolution
Good! I have found that confession at times can leave to a bit more befuddled than before you went to confession with some priests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
All our priests are very lax concerning Confession. The priest at my parish Church told me that he only listens to certain Confessions and the others he doesn't bother lustening to properly. I do not go to him and have left that Church for another one now.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
All our priests are very lax concerning Confession. The priest at my parish Church told me that he only listens to certain Confessions and the others he doesn't bother lustening to properly. I do not go to him and have left that Church for another one now.
That's so messed up.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Umm... That is really scary in my opinion. When priests are apathetic then there is no wonder the communion lines are short.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Our Communion lines are very very long. Sometimes 500 at one Mass. But just as there w as very little reverence for Confession, so there was little reverence for the Body of Christ. When I was sick with cancer, the priest dropped the Host on the floor. Also he would only stay around five minutes, and make me tal k while I still had the Host in my mouth. I was so desperately upset at the time. Mi was never offered Confession either

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Even if a priest thinks a sin is inconsequential, he should listen to it properly if it is weighing heavily enough on the heart of the person confessing.

Martin Luther says it well:

What sins should we confess?

Before God we should plead guilty of all sins, even of those which we do not know, as we do in the Lord's Prayer. But before the confessor we should confess those sins alone which we know and feel in our hearts.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not quite clear, for what are you sorry ?
It's my understanding that you cannot be punished for secular political beliefs. Especially civil rights. You were not campaigning for the Church to get behind performing ceremonies. It is my understanding there is a difference. I thought we were to stand up for the civil rights of all people. Believer or not. But I don't know the whole story. But it sounds bad and if it was as bad as you say, I'm sorry it happened.

Upvote 0