How long did it take you to finish the Bible?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How long did it take you to finish the Bible, from Genesis to Revelations? How much time did you spend per day?

There are some parts of the Bible that tell interesting stories, and there are some parts of the Bible that completely bore me, and there are some parts of the Bible where I have to read and re-read to understand what I've just read. For me, the good news about reading the Bible is that I can expand my vocabulary by keeping a dictionary by my side. However, there are some parts that feel like the most boring parts of the Bible ("begats" for instance). It's like blah blah begets blah blah who begets blah blah who begets blah blah. If not, it's like "this guy was born; he married; he died. The end." Not to sound offensive, but every time I read through those parts, they put me to sleep. Why can't the authors of the Bible just omitted the most boring parts of people's lives and stick to the juicy meaty stuff? Who cares if a person is born or married or dead or how long they have lived on earth? Just my opinion.

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How long did it take you to finish the Bible, from Genesis to Revelations? How much time did you spend per day?
I'm still working on it, and will probably will be for the rest of my life. That said it took about 2 years to read through in my spare time.

There are some parts of the Bible that tell interesting stories, and there are some parts of the Bible that completely bore me,
this one begate that one who begate...:swoon:

and there are some parts of the Bible where I have to read and re-read to understand what I've just read.
Try the easy to read version:
John 3 ERV - Jesus and Nicodemus - There was a man - Bible Gateway

For me, the good news about reading the Bible is that I can expand my vocabulary by keeping a dictionary by my side. However, there are some parts that feel like the most boring parts of the Bible ("begats" for instance). It's like blah blah begets blah blah who begets blah blah who begets blah blah. If not, it's like "this guy was born; he married; he died. The end." Not to sound offensive, but every time I read through those parts, they put me to sleep. Why can't the authors of the Bible just omitted the most boring parts of people's lives and stick to the juicy meaty stuff? Who cares if a person is born or married or dead or how long they have lived on earth? Just my opinion.
Most of that was for the OT Jews..

Upvote 0
P

Publius

How long did it take you to finish the Bible, from Genesis to Revelations?

Don't know. Never tried to read it that way.

How much time did you spend per day?

Depends. If it's for personal study, probably between a half hour and forty minutes. If it's for a sermon or a class, could be as much as a couple of hours.

However, there are some parts that feel like the most boring parts of the Bible ("begats" for instance). It's like blah blah begets blah blah who begets blah blah who begets blah blah. If not, it's like "this guy was born; he married; he died. The end." Not to sound offensive, but every time I read through those parts, they put me to sleep.

Precisely why the Bible is not to be read straight through like a novel. The genaeologies won't make sense unless you read the parts that explain why they're important.

Why can't the authors of the Bible just omitted the most boring parts of people's lives and stick to the juicy meaty stuff? Who cares if a person is born or married or dead or how long they have lived on earth?

What you find boring, those of us who follow Christ find crucial.

The purpose of the OT is to lay the foundation for Christ and to explain who He is, why He was born when and where He was, and what His purpose is. The genaeologies help to explain these things.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've read the Bible cover-to-cover about 10-12 times now. Each time I was doing a "read the Bible in a year" discipline where I'd read 3-4 chapters every day. The last few times I've read it cover-to-cover, though, I've used a chronological Bible. It really makes things much easier to follow and understand, and it helps you get through the "boring" parts if you're reading it as you would a (non-fiction) novel. If you're interested in this approach I'd recommend the Narrated Bible or the Daily Bible. Both are NIV translations (so they're easy to read). The former is hardback and the latter is paperback.

Upvote 0

Kyleiferous

Jun 11, 2012
✟7,703.00
Faith
Christian
I haven't read it all, ages ago, I started reading the new testament, but I found it didn't make sense because I hadnt touched to OT.

I eventually stopped reading it, and now that I have just started to read it again, I realise how much my relationship with God took a hit.

This time I'm reading it from the OT to the NT. I'm expecting it to take years, because I want to be thorough and I wont be reading it for the story but to try and become a better christian and apply what Jesus did to my everyday situations.

But yeah it's gonna take ages.

Upvote 0