Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Today is Memorial Day, a day where we remember those who have fought for the county called the United States of America.

Many do not realize that Jews fought in the Revolution and were from the beginning given the freedom of religion as well as made citizens of the USA.

A Rabbi from Rhode Island wrote to George Washington in 1790 a letter quoted below.

During a visit to Newport, R.I., in 1790, a year before the Bill of Rights was ratifie d, President George
Washington received a letter from Moses Seixas, warden of the Touro Synagogue, seeking assurance of
religious freedom for Jews.
President Washington gave an unequivocal guarantee, returning a letter stating that the new government
would “give to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.”
Below is the transcript of each letter. Original spelling, punctuation and capitalization have been retained.
The letter from Moses Seixas to President George Washington

To the President of the United States of America.

Sir:
Permit the children of the stock of Abraham to approach you with the most cordial affection and esteem for
your person and merits ~~ and to join with our fellow citizens in welcoming you to NewPort.

With pleasure we reflect on those days ~~ those days of difficulty, and danger, when the God of Israel,
who delivered David from the peril of the sword, ~~ shielded Your head in the day of battle: ~~ and we
rejoice to think, that the same Spirit, who rested in the Bosom of the greatly beloved Daniel enabling him
to preside over the Provinces of the Babylonish Empire, rests and ever will rest, upon you, enabling you to
discharge the arduous duties of Chief Magistrate in these States.

Deprived as we heretofore have been of the invaluable rights of free Citizens, we now with a deep sense of
gratitude to the Almighty disposer of all events behold a Government, erected by the Majesty of the People
~~ a Government, which to bigotry gives no sanction, to persecution no assistance ~~ but generously
affording to all Liberty of conscience, and immunities of Citizenship: ~~ deeming every one, of whatever
Nation, tongue, or language equal parts of the great governmental Machine: ~~ This so ample and extensiveFederal Union whose basis is Philanthropy, Mutual confidence and Public Virtue, we cannot but acknowledge to be the work of the Great God, who ruleth in the Armies of Heaven, and among the Inhabitants of the Earth, doing whatever seemeth him good.

For all these Blessings of civil and religious liberty which we enjoy under an equal benign administration,
we desire to send up our thanks to the Ancient of Days, the great preserver of Men ~~beseeching him, that
the Angel who conducted our forefathers through the wilderness into the promised Land, may graciously
conduct you through all the difficulties and dangers of this mortal life: ~~ And, when, like Joshua full of
days and full of honour, you are gathered to your Fathers, may you be admitted into the Heavenly Paradise
to partake of the water of life, and the tree of immortality.

Done and Signed by order of the Hebrew Congregation in NewPort,
Rhode Island August 17th 1790.
Moses Seixas, Warden
------------------------------

George Washington
August 21, 1790

Gentlemen:

While I received with much satisfaction your address replete with expressions of esteem, I rejoice in the opportunity of assuring you that I shall always retain grateful remembrance of the cordial welcome I experienced on my visit to Newport from all classes of citizens.

The reflection on the days of difficulty and danger which are past is rendered the more sweet from a consciousness that they are succeeded by days of uncommon prosperity and security.

If we have wisdom to make the best use of the advantages with which we are now favored, we cannot fail, under the just administration of a good government, to become a great and happy people.

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy — a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship.

It is now no more that toleration is spoken of as if it were the indulgence of one class of people that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights, for, happily, the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.

It would be inconsistent with the frankness of my character not to avow that I am pleased with your favorable opinion of my administration and fervent wishes for my felicity.

May the children of the stock of Abraham who dwell in this land continue to merit and enjoy the good will of the other inhabitants — while every one shall sit in safety under his own vine and fig tree and there shall be none to make him afraid.

May the father of all mercies scatter light, and not darkness, upon our paths, and make us all in our several vocations useful here, and in His own due time and way everlastingly happy.

G. Washington
----------------------

For more information
History Crash Course #55: Jews and the Founding of America

http://www.aish.com/jl/h/cc/48955806.html

Reactions: MWood

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Didn't know George Washington was a Rabbi...

What does this have to do with MJ ?
Shouldn't there be an "American Issues" sub-forum for localistic, regional / nationalistic issues like this ?

You have started several threads that have nothing to do with MJ. Why all the drama?

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You have started several threads that have nothing to do with MJ.

heheh... No, I haven't, but if I did, it wasn't American local news.

Are you interested in this forum being flooded with news from eg. Russia, Tajikistan, Britain, France, Gambia or Venezuela, perhaps ?

Didn't think so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Didn't know George Washington was a Rabbi...

What does this have to do with MJ ?
Shouldn't there be an "American Issues" sub-forum for localistic, regional / nationalistic issues like this ?

Today is Memorial day, I was watching a program on JTV and they were speaking about this letter to Washington. I did not say Washington was a Rabbi, I don't know why you would suggest such.

Where else do you propose I post something like this on the rest of the forums?

It's about Jews finding religious freedom in the US. Do you think there would even be MJ's in the US if not for the religious tolerance founded in this country?

I'm sorry you don't see this topic as interesting to you but you don't have to read it or participate. :)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
heheh... No, I haven't, but if I did, it wasn't American local news.

Are you interested in this forum being flooded with news from eg. Russia, Tajikistan, Britain, France, Gambia or Venezuela, perhaps ?

Didn't think so.

It's about JEWs and religious freedom, if it doesn't belong in this forum where else?

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Today is Memorial Day, a day where we remember those who have fought for the county called the United States of America.

Many do not realize that Jews fought in the Revolution and were from the beginning given the freedom of religion as well as made citizens of the USA.

A Rabbi from Rhode Island wrote to George Washington in 1790 a letter quoted below.

During a visit to Newport, R.I., in 1790, a year before the Bill of Rights was ratifie d, President George
Washington received a letter from Moses Seixas, warden of the Touro Synagogue, seeking assurance of
religious freedom for Jews.
President Washington gave an unequivocal guarantee, returning a letter stating that the new government
would “give to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.”
Below is the transcript of each letter. Original spelling, punctuation and capitalization have been retained.
The letter from Moses Seixas to President George Washington

To the President of the United States of America.

Sir:
Permit the children of the stock of Abraham to approach you with the most cordial affection and esteem for
your person and merits ~~ and to join with our fellow citizens in welcoming you to NewPort.

With pleasure we reflect on those days ~~ those days of difficulty, and danger, when the God of Israel,
who delivered David from the peril of the sword, ~~ shielded Your head in the day of battle: ~~ and we
rejoice to think, that the same Spirit, who rested in the Bosom of the greatly beloved Daniel enabling him
to preside over the Provinces of the Babylonish Empire, rests and ever will rest, upon you, enabling you to
discharge the arduous duties of Chief Magistrate in these States.

Deprived as we heretofore have been of the invaluable rights of free Citizens, we now with a deep sense of
gratitude to the Almighty disposer of all events behold a Government, erected by the Majesty of the People
~~ a Government, which to bigotry gives no sanction, to persecution no assistance ~~ but generously
affording to all Liberty of conscience, and immunities of Citizenship: ~~ deeming every one, of whatever
Nation, tongue, or language equal parts of the great governmental Machine: ~~ This so ample and extensiveFederal Union whose basis is Philanthropy, Mutual confidence and Public Virtue, we cannot but acknowledge to be the work of the Great God, who ruleth in the Armies of Heaven, and among the Inhabitants of the Earth, doing whatever seemeth him good.

For all these Blessings of civil and religious liberty which we enjoy under an equal benign administration,
we desire to send up our thanks to the Ancient of Days, the great preserver of Men ~~beseeching him, that
the Angel who conducted our forefathers through the wilderness into the promised Land, may graciously
conduct you through all the difficulties and dangers of this mortal life: ~~ And, when, like Joshua full of
days and full of honour, you are gathered to your Fathers, may you be admitted into the Heavenly Paradise
to partake of the water of life, and the tree of immortality.

Done and Signed by order of the Hebrew Congregation in NewPort,
Rhode Island August 17th 1790.
Moses Seixas, Warden
------------------------------

George Washington
August 21, 1790

Gentlemen:

While I received with much satisfaction your address replete with expressions of esteem, I rejoice in the opportunity of assuring you that I shall always retain grateful remembrance of the cordial welcome I experienced on my visit to Newport from all classes of citizens.

The reflection on the days of difficulty and danger which are past is rendered the more sweet from a consciousness that they are succeeded by days of uncommon prosperity and security.

If we have wisdom to make the best use of the advantages with which we are now favored, we cannot fail, under the just administration of a good government, to become a great and happy people.

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy — a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship.

It is now no more that toleration is spoken of as if it were the indulgence of one class of people that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights, for, happily, the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.

It would be inconsistent with the frankness of my character not to avow that I am pleased with your favorable opinion of my administration and fervent wishes for my felicity.

May the children of the stock of Abraham who dwell in this land continue to merit and enjoy the good will of the other inhabitants — while every one shall sit in safety under his own vine and fig tree and there shall be none to make him afraid.

May the father of all mercies scatter light, and not darkness, upon our paths, and make us all in our several vocations useful here, and in His own due time and way everlastingly happy.

G. Washington
----------------------

For more information
History Crash Course #55: Jews and the Founding of America
Love this post.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The 'father of our country' George Washington wrote in that letter:

Of course in our history of 200+ years that has not always been the case but I wouldn't hesitate to say that the US has been the safest place for Jews in the world, including the state of Israel.

From the panel discussion I was watching on this letter, George Washington like the book of Micah quite a lot.

According to the Mt Vernon (George Washington's home) research collection:

The Bible was the most accessible and influential book in seventeenth- and eighteenth-century America. George Washington, like most gentlemen of his time and social standing, was acquainted with it, specifically the King James Bible, and he liberally seasoned his discourse with biblical phrases and allusions. Washington’s papers contain hundreds of biblical quotations, figures of speech, idioms, proverbs, and allusions. No literary text is referenced more frequently in his writings.

They were speaking about this passage in Micah:

No biblical passage is referenced more frequently in Washington's voluminous papers than the ancient Hebrew blessing and prophetic vision of the New Jerusalem in which every man sits safely "under his vine and under his fig tree" (Micah 4:4; see also 1 Kings 4:25; Zechariah 3:10; and 1 Maccabees 14:12). Washington invoked this image nearly four dozen times during the last half of his life. The image of reposing under one's own vine and fig tree vividly captures the agrarian ideals of simplicity, contentment, domestic tranquility, and self-sufficiency; it is also a metaphor for not only freedom from want and fear but also the right to private property and hospitality.

He was promising safety and prosperity to the Jews who hadn't seen any for millennia. How welcome those words must have been!

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking of, two weeks ago I met a friend from the Hebrew Café forum in Manhattan. We went to an exhibit at the NY Historical Society on Abraham Lincoln's involvement of Jews in his political activities. Indeed, he had a very high view of the Jews.

I don't agree with the idea that we shouldn't share relevant historical data that have to do with the treatment of Jews - and a discussion of Jewish involvement in the bringing down of Apartheid in South Africa is just as relevant to the forum as the views of Washington and Lincoln with regard to the Jewish people (the Hebrew race). I don't see why this would be a problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums