How is historic Calvinism different from Arminianism, Orthodox, & Catholic theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I think you'd first have to lay out exactly what "historic Calvinism" is, because from my experience I get various explanations to various questions about what Calvinism really means.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Say, Canons of Dordt? How about the Westminster Confession? These are two relatively allied positions on historic Calvinism, with some differences (they're about 30 years apart in history), but I doubt there's much to get entangled in their differences.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Say, Canons of Dordt? How about the Westminster Confession? These are two relatively allied positions on historic Calvinism, with some differences (they're about 30 years apart in history), but I doubt there's much to get entangled in their differences.

I don't think we have any "hyper-Orthodox". ;)

(But if we do, I suggest they try Ritalin.)

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think you'd first have to lay out exactly what "historic Calvinism" is, because from my experience I get various explanations to various questions about what Calvinism really means.
As the Wiki states it:-
Historic Calvinism:
Also known as reformed theology, is a movement within orthodox Protestantism that was developed by John Calvin (1509-1564), a French theologian. John Calvin was eight years old when Martin Luther posted his 95 thesis. Calvin and Luther never met.

Calvin was a lawyer who later became a Pastor in Geneva, Switzerland. He was married in 1539.

Calvin produced many commentaries on various books of the Bible, but he is best known for his seminal work known as The Institutes of the Christian Religion, a marvelous work expounding Christian theology, which he published at the age of 26.

The system of Calvinism adheres to a very high view of scripture and seeks to derive its theological formulations based solely on God's word. It focuses on God's sovereignty, stating that God is able and willing by virtue of his omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence, to do whatever He desires with His creation. It also maintains that within the Bible are the following teachings: That God, by His sovereign grace predestines people into salvation; that Jesus died only for those predestined; that God regenerates the individual to where he is then able and wants to choose God; and that it is impossible for those who are redeemed to lose their salvation.

Arminianism, on the other hand, maintains that God predestined, but not in an absolute sense. Rather, He looked into the future to see who would pick him and then He chose them. Jesus died for all peoples' sins who have ever lived and ever will live, not just the Christians. Each person is the one who decides if he wants to be saved or not. And finally, it is possible to lose your salvation (some arminians believe you cannot lose your salvation).

Calvinism emphasizes the sovereignty of God and his eternal decrees which he is ordained, whatsoever shall come to pass. Calvinists take the Bible very seriously and try to harmonize all its concepts. It teaches monergism, that salvation is accomplished in God's work alone, and that nothing occurs in the world except that God has given permission. Some critics have maintained that Calvinism makes God the author of evil, but Calvinists are quick to deny such an accusation and teach that God is sovereign even over the forces of evil and that he uses evil within his eternal plan for the world and mankind: "For truly in this city there were gathered together against Thy holy servant Jesus, whom Thou didst anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, 28to do whatever Thy hand and Thy purpose predestined to occur," (Acts 4:27-28)

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dordt seems to be the clearest in my view.

Calvinism compared to the rest in my view is much sounder scripturally as a whole.

The documentary "amazing grace" on the history of reformed theology is an awesome learning tool to compare the calvin philosophy against the others.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Sphinx777
Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think we have any "hyper-Orthodox". ;)

(But if we do, I suggest they try Ritalin.)
Calvinists don't have any hyper-calvinists, either. They're considered a heresy of the Canons of Dordt just as much as Arminians are.

I've connected with some people on this forum that seem pretty obsessive when it comes to Orthodoxy, too: to the point of a pretty fanciful view of the unity of doctrine. Maybe I should point them to your suggestion of Ritalin? :pray:

Reactions: student ad x
Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
well there is Sola Scripture, that seperates it from the more apostolic branches of the Christian faith
At what point do either the Canons or the Confession deviate from the more apostolic branches of the Christian faith? Keeping in mind that the actual Apostolic church was at first based on the teachings of the Apostles themselves, Calvinism might assert its adherence to those teachings would be "more apostolic".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
At what point do either the Canons or the Confession deviate from the more apostolic branches of the Christian faith? Keeping in mind that the actual Apostolic church was at first based on the teachings of the Apostles themselves, Calvinism might assert its adherence to those teachings would be "more apostolic".
Hi heymikey.
How does Calvinism deviate from the RC and EO Apostolic teachings if any?

And how much of Calvinism does the EO and RCC apspire to or embrace and how much of it it doesn't? Thanks :wave:

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
i just thought we could use the common usage for the Catholic, Anglican and Orthodox Churches

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Orthodoxy believes in free will and that Christ died for all men, and ultimately for the restoration of all of creation. It is also synergistic and sees salvation in terms of this relationship rather than in juridical terms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Orthodoxy believes in free will and that Christ died for all men, and ultimately for the restoration of all of creation. It is also synergistic and sees salvation in terms of this relationship rather than in juridical terms.
How does that view differ from Roman Catholicism?
And how much of Calvinism does the RCC embrace and dismiss? Thanks :wave:

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
How does that view differ from Roman Catholicism?
And how much of Calvinism does the RCC embrace and dismiss? Thanks :wave:
It dosen't embrace the TULIP to my knowledge...If it is close to any representation of the 5- points, it most likely transitions them into a Catholic perspective which would warp it's original intentions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.