Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
When we get to God's heavenly court and worship Him, when all of heaven and earth are before Him, do you think it is a set aside day for such proceedings?
Vis, I can't imagine such a thing. Heaven is not like earth. It exists in eternity. That means there is no time. (Space and time are part of the created universe.) It is safe to say there is no such thing as "days" there. But what it *will* be like, is way beyond our comprehension. I leave until after death what will happen after death.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is an entirely different subject. Let's stick to WHEN the Sabbath was first commanded.
Just because we do not see a written command in Scripture doesn't mean it wasn't commanded. There was no command against murder until Genesis 9, yet we know it was forbidden before then. Adultery was not prohibited until Exodus 20 (I think), but Joseph knew it was a sin when he ran from Potiphar's wife. It was orally commanded.

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Vis, I can't imagine such a thing. Heaven is not like earth. It exists in eternity. That means there is no time. (Space and time are part of the created universe.) It is safe to say there is no such thing as "days" there. But what it *will* be like, is way beyond our comprehension. I leave until after death what will happen after death.
Think of it this way, God moved His court, city, to the New Earth and makes New Jerusalem His home base. He has a cycle, whether it is a thousand years compared to our earthly one day or whether it will be the earthly time cycle for all eternity. But one thing is for sure, the feasts will be kept and chief among them is the Sabbath. Eternity without out time, is like saying eternity is without end. But it doesn't change the cycles God has declared from the beginning without end.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is no evidence that this is a God-commanded rest on the seventh day. Again, you are jumping to conclusions.

Where did I say that the Exodus 5 passage which I referenced was a "God-commanded rest"? You are obfuscating and ignoring what was actually said. In addition what you say about jumping to conclusions is yet again untrue. I did not make up the definitions of the words used but rather the definitions are known by the contexts in which they are employed and that is how the scripture interprets itself. Typically shilshom means "treble", "trebled", or something like "threefold" whether you accept it or not; that is simply how the word is used. The same goes for tmowl; it means "ago" and is generally used for "yesterday" but can mean "last hour, last day, last year, and so on and so on depending on the context in which it is found. A sentence with shilshom temowl therefore means either "three hours ago", or "three days ago", "or three years ago", or "three times ago", and so on and so on according to the context in which it is found. In the context of Exodus 5 we are clearly informed that the context concerns a daily rate or quota for brick making. Therefore, in that context, shilshom temowl is "three days ago" or "the day before yesterday". Your refusal to accept what it says does not change what it says; and your opinion that I made it up is simply that, your opinion, which is worthless without at least something from the scripture to back it up. The passage clearly implies that the children of Israel were already observing some form of Shabbat rest even before there was any commandment to do so. Now if you go back and read my initial statement you will see that this is indeed what I said. And that it appears from Deuteronomy 5:15 that the Father codified the Shabbat because Pharaoh tried to take it away, (which was also already said in my initial statement). Are you not arguing that the Shabbat was never observed until it was commanded? If so your argument is therefore in opposition to what the scripture actually strongly implies, (in its original language).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The passage clearly implies that the children of Israel were already observing some form of Shabbat rest even before there was any commandment to do so.
Clearly they didn't work seven days a week. So what? It doesn't imply they were keeping the Sabbath. Virtually the entire world has a seven day week, of which they work only five or six days, and they are not keeping the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Eternity without out time, is like saying eternity is without end.
I disagree (really I'm fine with us disagreeing). Like I said, space/time was created when the universe was created. When the New Earth is created, who knows what it will be like?

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
I am confident that God liked His original blueprint and the New heavens and New earth will be a remake of His masterpiece and all the pieces He has in place now will be perfected and in place for all eternity without sin, death, and destruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Pagan writings arent quoted by Apostles
Paul quoted Menander in the book of Acts, Menander in 1 Corinthians, and Epimenides in the book of Titus. Let's take a look.
  • Acts 17:28, "for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.'"
    • "The first part of verse 28 comes from Cretica by Epimenides, and the second part of the verse from Hymn to Zeus, written by the Cilician poet Aratus. To be sure, both of these lines were directed at Zeus in Greek literature, but Paul applied them to the Creator of whom he spoke."
    • Paul quoted "the first half of the fifth line, word for word, of an astronomical poem of Aratus, a Greek countryman of the apostle, and his predecessor by about three centuries. But, as he hints, the same sentiment is to be found in other Greek poets. They meant it doubtless in a pantheistic sense; but the truth which it expresses the apostle turns to his own purpose—to teach a pure, personal, spiritual Theism."
  • 1 Cor. 15:33, "Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.'”
    • "a current saying, forming a verse in MENANDER, the comic poet, who probably took it from Euripides [SOCRATES, Ecclesiastical History, 3.16]."
    • "The words “Bad company ruins good morals” are found in a play by Menander (4th-3rd century B. C.) but may well have become a common saying by Paul’s time."
    • "Evil communications corrupt good manners. An iambic line from the ‘Thais’ of Menander, and perhaps taken by Menander from a play of Euripides. More accurately it means “evil associations corrupt excellent morals."
  • Titus 1:12, "One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
    • "Epimenides of Phaestus, or Gnossus, in Crete, about 600. He was sent for to purify Athens from its pollution occasioned by Cylon. He was regarded as a diviner and prophet. The words here are taken probably from his treatise “concerning oracles.” Paul also quotes from two other heathen writers, ARATUS (Ac 17:28) and MENANDER (1 Co 15:33), but he does not honor them so far as even to mention their names.
    • "A prophet of their own; viz. Epimenides, a native either of Phæstus or of Cnossus in Crete, the original author of this line, which is also quoted by Callimachus. Epimenides is here called a prophet, not simply as a poet, but from his peculiar character as priest, bard, and seer; called by Plato θεῖος ἀνήρ and coupled by Cicero with Bacis the Boeotian prophet, and the sibyl (Bishop Ellicott); described by other ancient writers as a prophet (Alford)."
https://carm.org/did-paul-quote-pagan-philosophers

• Winner
Reactions: Shimshon
Upvote 0