How important is the Sabbath?

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Hebrews 8:1-5 ...'Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: Who serve unto THE EXAMPLE AND SHADOW OF HEAVENLY THINGS, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make ALL THINGS according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.'

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
For all eternity...

Isaiah 66:22-23 ...'For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall ALL flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.'

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's face it, if God didn't have a law in Heaven, then Satan would not have fallen, because he would not have been subject to any rules, for "where there is no law, there is no transgression"
Are you saying that Satan had to keep the Shabbat?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
c
Not just for the Jew...

Ecclesiastes 12:13 ...'Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.'
Why do you keep trying to change the topic to this? I'm going to stick to the topic.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
For all eternity...

Isaiah 66:22-23 ...'For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall ALL flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.'
And?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Revelation 11:19 ...'And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple THE ARK OF HIS TESTAMENT: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.'
Not sure how this relates to the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hebrews 8:1-5 ...'Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: Who serve unto THE EXAMPLE AND SHADOW OF HEAVENLY THINGS, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make ALL THINGS according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.'
You are basically posting one verse after another that has nothing to do with when God first commanded observance of the Shabbat.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
How do we know that the Ten Commandments are there and were there before Sinai? Because when God told Moses to construct the tabernacle with the most holy place that contained the mercy seat and The Ten Commandments, it was a copy of the one already in Heaven.
There is a tabernacle in the present heaven? You might be right, I don't know. Can you give me the chapter and verse? (You do realize I'm sure that any heavenly tabernacle would be figurative, like the symbols in Revelation.)

and this has nothing to do with when God first commanded the Sabbath to be kept. A Temple for worship doesn't imply commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been kind enough to answer all your posts, vis. How come you aren't answering any of mine? I ask you direct questions, like are you saying that Satan had to keep the Sabbath, or is there a verse that states Adam and Eve broke the Sabbath that can back you up, and you never answer! Is this because you concede my points?

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is actually evidence that the children of Israel were keeping some sort of Shabbat rest before the Torah was given. The evidence may be found in Exodus 5:4-8 which appears to be referenced as one of the reasons for the codification of the Shabbat in Deuteronomy 5:15, (because Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, tried to take it away in Exodus 5).

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been kind enough to answer all your posts, vis. How come you aren't answering any of mine? I ask you direct questions, like are you saying that Satan had to keep the Sabbath, or is there a verse that states Adam and Eve broke the Sabbath that can back you up, and you never answer! Is this because you concede my points?
Why are you rushing her? You posted all your questions within the space of 27 minutes late at night. Give her a chance to answer before getting impatient. :angel:

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How important is the Sabbath?
Exodus 20:6
And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exodus 20:8
Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

Exodus 31:17-16
Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Romans 9:6
It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
I would take the question in the OP to a next step. What is the importance of the 7th day Sabbath today? It's a direct link, a measurable day, to the God of Israel, who created the heavens and earth. It points to a continuing work being done here on earth that hasn't ended. Notice in Genesis 2:1-3 there is no reference to an evening and morning happening.

I view it as representing the last phase of His work on earth, that it reminds me that He hasn't finished His spiritual goals for the prior six days of physical creation. "But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh even until now, and I work" John 5:7.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Let's not change the subject. The question at hand is whether the Commandment to keep the Sabbath first was given to the Israelites in the desert, or whether it began with Adam.

No actually that is NOT what the OP asked. The question is "How important is the Sabbath"

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
There is actually evidence that the children of Israel were keeping some sort of Shabbat rest before the Torah was given. The evidence may be found in Exodus 5:4-8 which appears to be referenced as one of the reasons for the codification of the Shabbat in Deuteronomy 5:15, (because Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, tried to take it away in Exodus 5).
I don't see any reason to jump to the conclusion that these verses refer to keeping the Shabbat.

Upvote 0