How important is the Bible to Orthodox Christians vs Protestants and Catholics?

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I believe the RCC has many false teachings "Purgatory" "Immaculate conception" "Papal Infallibility". I am not a Protestant bigot but I cant accept these teachings as I cant find them in Sacred Scripture. What do orthodox christians believe about the Bible, how do they use it in worship services,what translation (for english speaking people) do they use?

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, to be fair, there are things that we Orthodox believe that others say they can't find in the Bible, but which we believe are perfectly biblical. We disagree with the Catholics about the issues you mentioned, but they believe that those teachings are perfectly biblical.

As to the question in the title...

The Orthodox understanding of what the Scriptures fundamentally *are* is very similar to the Catholic understanding, and perhaps the same. They are the written record of those who encountered God's revelation: the incomplete revelation encountered by the Prophets, and the full and complete revelation of God in the person of Christ encountered by the Apostles. And since the Scriptures proclaim God's revelation by those who directly encountered it, they are above all other writings and are the only writings fit to be read in the churches. They are an integral and inseparable part of the life of the church.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From the Syrian Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese N.A. 1949:

"The sources of Orthodox Catholic teaching are Holy Scripture & Holy Tradition. Holy Scripture is a collection of books written by inspired men, in which is contained the Divine revelation. This collection of books is called the Bible, and is made up of the Old Testament, the books written before the birth of Christ, and the New Testament, the books written after the birth of Christ.

The official text of the Old Testament for the Orthodox Catholic Church is the Septuagint version, translated from the Hebrew into the Greek language in the 3rd c BC. It has the same authority for the Church as the original, and was the text used by the Apostles.

The official text of the NT is the original Greek; no translations into modern Greek are allowed, and no translation has the authority of the original. Many untrustworthy translations have been published by various religious groups to further their own peculiar intrepretations of the Scriptures; these translations are forbidden to be used by the Orthodox Catholic faithful.

The Bible may not be used by individuals as a source from which to derive any desired doctrine; its meaning is not self evident, and it must be interpreted in light of the Church's teachings. The church is the only infallible interpreter of Holy Scripture.To the Church our Lord Jesus Christ gave His teachings by word of mouth and example, and the Church has faithfully preserved them. The Bible assumes the existence of oral tradition, which preceded and always supplemented it. The Apostles first taught orally, and when their teachings were written down it was the Church which approved as authentic those writings known to be consistent with the apostolic tradition preserved in the Church.

Holy Tradition is the guarantee for the right interpretation of the Scriptures; the 2 are inseparable. Heretics in all ages have always quickly set aside Tradition and endeavored to base their individual interpretations of Christian truth on the Scriptures alone. The Church, however, which truly understands the Scriptures, continues to teach the same faith as always, defining and formulating it when necessary, but never creating new doctrines. This continuity of steady and unswerving tradition preserves the Church heresy and novel opinions, and the same time facilitates the expression of the living piety of the Church in each succeeding age.

Holy tradition includes the doctrines of the Faith and the Sacraments with their attendant ritual as transmitted from generation of the faithful to another both by word and example. It is embodied in the decrees and definitions of the 7 Ecumenical Councils, in the Nicene Creed, in the writings of the Fathers of the undivided Church, and in the decrees and definitions of certain later synods and councils."

Footnotes to the last paragraph are:

1. The 7 Ecumenical Councils are those of Nicaea in 325, 1st Constantinople in 381, Ephesus in 431, Chalcedon in 451, 2nd Constantinople in 553, 3rd Constantinople in 680, & 2nd Nicaea in 787.

2. The Creed fixed at the sessions of the 1st & 2nd Ecumenical Councils; this is the only liturgical Creed of the Orthodox Catholic Church.

3. The Patristic period is usually reckoned as closing with St.John of Damascus, who died about 749. His "Exposition of the Orthodox Faith" is a compendium of the doctrinal teaching of the earlier Fathers of the Church.

I have taken this verbatim from an Orthodox Catechism of the Syrian Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of New York & North America. c.1949 c. 1960 (7th ed.) approved by then Metropolitan Antony Bashir. There is no single catechism of the Orthodox Church, this was one issued to assist the new English speaking American generation of Arabic Christians (& any new American generation) of Orthodox Christians.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know the early Syrian (now called Antiochian to get past too much ethnic identity) American Orthodox Church approved of the King James & Revised Standard Versions of the Bible.The New King James (NKJV) is also approved & some other translations are. In the 1990s an NKJV based NT Orthodox study Bible was issued. In 2008 (I believe) an OT & NT Study Bible was issued using a St. Athanasius Seminary translation alongside the NKJV. All am referring to pertains to American Orthodoxy. Some people like the Orthodox Study Bible & some do not, a few of those who do not probably do not encourage laity Bible reading.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In worship, our liturgy is basically in 2 parts: the liturgy of the word which culminates in the reading of the epistle & the Gospel followed by the homily or sermon. The second part is the liturgy of the Eucharist which is preceded by confessing our faith in the creed, general repentant confession, the Lord's prayer, & the Eucharist.

Most of these basics are found in Roman Catholic, high church Lutheran, Anglican etc.worship also. There is more that can be added but these are bare basics.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's a scene in the third "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie where Barbossa opens a scrolled map to the Fountain of Youth only to discover that a big circle had been cut out of the heart of the map.
That's what not having Scripture would be like for Orthodox.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I believe the RCC has many false teachings "Purgatory" "Immaculate conception" "Papal Infallibility". I am not a Protestant bigot but I cant accept these teachings as I cant find them in Sacred Scripture. What do orthodox christians believe about the Bible, how do they use it in worship services,what translation (for english speaking people) do they use?

Is Christianity based on the New Testament, or is the New Testament based on early Christianity?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am just in pure shock that you watched the Pirates of the Caribbean flicks, Rus! :p:D

There's a scene in the third "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie where Barbossa opens a scrolled map to the Fountain of Youth only to discover that a big circle had been cut out of the heart of the map.
That's what not having Scripture would be like for Orthodox.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On another thread, I quoted this (from Bishop Kallistos Ware of Diokleia):

"I am to see the Bible as God’s personal letter sent specifically to myself. ... Whenever we open our Bible, we are engaging in a creative dialogue with the Savior. ... We see Scripture as inspired by God, and we approach it in a spirit of obedience. ...

... Since it is divinely inspired, the Bible possesses a fundamental unity, a total coherence, because the same Spirit speaks on every page. ... It is one book, one Holy Scripture, with the same message throughout—one composite and yet single story from Genesis to Revelation. ...

... The author of each book was not just a passive instrument, a flute played by the Spirit, a dictation machine recording a message. Every writer of Scripture contributes his or her particular human gifts. Alongside the divine aspect, there is also a human element in Scripture, and we are to value both. ...

... Alongside this human element, however, we are always to see the divine aspect. ... What we hear in Scripture is not just human words, marked by a greater or lesser skill and perceptiveness, but the uncreated Word of God Himself—the Father’s Word 'coming forth from silence,' to use the phrase of Saint Ignatius of Antioch—the eternal Word of salvation. ...

... It is the Church that tells us what is Scripture. ... A book is not part of Holy Scripture because of any particular theory about its date and authorship, but because the Church treats it as canonical.
"

Is that a reasonable summary of the Orthodox view of Scripture, or are his views unusual in the Orthodox community?

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"I am to see the Bible as God’s personal letter sent specifically to myself. ... Whenever we open our Bible, we are engaging in a creative dialogue with the Savior.

Everything sounds pretty standard to me except this. The Bible is not specifically sent to me, that's asinine. To The Church maybe, but The Bible is not a personal letter. That reeks of arrogance and individualism. There are parts of the Bible which have nothing to do with my life, because it's not about me, it's about a collective group, about Salvation history, The Church, Christ, and mankind's relationship to God. I can find inspiration and guidance within it, but that doesn't mean it was written to me. That kind of talk always bugged me.

The second part I think would depend on what that 'creative dialogue' entails. What do we need to be creative about? Certainly, I hope, not hermeneutics! Scripture to me is not a dialogue, that would be prayer. Scripture is God talking to us, and how others have spoken to God before, but you don't see us scribbling notes in our Bibles and declaring them Scripture, part of our speaking to God now.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Let me show you today's readings and you decide how important scripture is to us:

Pauline Epistle
Romans 1:18-25
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Catholic Epistle
Jude 1:1-8
Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,

To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.

Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries.

Acts
Acts 4:36-end ; Acts 5:1-11
And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles which is translated Son of Encouragement, a Levite of the country of Cyprus, having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet. But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.

Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. And Peter answered her, "Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?"

She said, "Yes, for so much."

Then Peter said to her, "How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out." Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

Synaxarium
1. The Departure of St. Agapetus (Agapius), the Bishop.

On this day St. Agapetus (Agapius), the bishop, departed. He was born of Christian parents during the time of the infidel emperors Diocletian and Maximianus. His parents brought him up in a Christian upbringing, and he was ordained a deacon. Then, he went to one of the monasteries and served the elders therein. He learned from them worship and asceticism and was accustomed to fasting and prayer. His food was legumes to break the fast. He grew in his ascetic life and in every virtue, and God wrought through him many miracles, among which were the following:

He healed a girl from a debilitating sickness which had stricken her for a long time, and doctors had failed to cure her. He also prayed once and God destroyed a beast which was devouring people. By his prayers, God granted healing to many sick people.

The news of his asceticism, righteousness and the power of his prayer spread everywhere. When Lucinus the governor heard about St. Agapius, he brought him by force and appointed him a soldier in his army. This did not prevent St. Agapius from continuing in his ascetic life and his worship and he rather increased in virtue.

Shortly after, God perished Diocletian and the God-loving Emperor Constantine took over the empire after him. St. Agapius desired to gain his freedom and to return to his monastery, and God answered him.

Emperor Constantine had a servant who was very dear to him for the good qualities he had. The servant was stricken with an evil spirit which tormented him. Some friends of the Emperor advised him to ask Agapius, the soldier, to pray for his servant to be healed. The Emperor was surprised to know that one among his soldiers had the gift of healing. The Emperor sent for St. Agapius who prayed upon the servant, made the sign of the holy cross over him, and God healed him.

The Emperor rejoiced and wanted to reward him. St. Agapius refused to accept any reward except to be granted his release from military service to go back to the place of his worship. The Emperor granted him what he wanted. The saint returned to where he was before and he lived a solitary life. After a while, he was ordained a priest.

After the departure of the bishop of his town, the people asked for this saint from the abbot of the monastery, and he gave him his permission to leave. St. Agapius was ordained bishop and shepherded the flock of Christ with the best of care. He was granted the gift of prophecy and performing miracles. He rebuked the sinners for what they had done in secret. He rebuked the priests for forsaking teaching and instructing their flocks.

His biography included more than one hundred miracles that he had performed, and he departed at a good old age.

His prayers be with us. Amen.

2. The Martyrdom of St. Timothy and St. Matthias.

On this day also is the commemoration of the martyrdom of St. Timothy of Gaza, and St. Matthias of the City of Koos (Quoce).

Their prayers be with us and Glory be to our God forever. Amen.

Psalm
Psalm 28:1-2
Give unto the LORD, O you mighty ones,
Give unto the LORD glory and strength.
Give unto the LORD the glory due to His name;
Worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Gospel
Luke 18:1-8
Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying: "There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, "Get justice for me from my adversary.' And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, "Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me."'

Then the Lord said, "Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Everything sounds pretty standard to me except this. The Bible is not specifically sent to me, that's asinine. To The Church maybe, but The Bible is not a personal letter. That reeks of arrogance and individualism. There are parts of the Bible which have nothing to do with my life, because it's not about me, it's about a collective group, about Salvation history, The Church, Christ, and mankind's relationship to God. I can find inspiration and guidance within it, but that doesn't mean it was written to me. That kind of talk always bugged me.

I think what His Eminence meant was that we should not read scripture as a casual observer, but try to incorporate it into ourselves in a very personal way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
in addition to daily readings, all of our services are like 98% verbatum taken from Scripture, and if you did all the services, every week you would read all of the Psalms. so yes, Scripture is very important to the Orthodox. it was the Orthodox Church that put it together after all

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
North Carolina.

Im not interested in coverting just seeing how it differs from the RCC

it's all good, just trying to get you your answers. the Liturgy is something to experience not just check out on a video if you wanna get some of the answers you are asking about.

Orthodoxy in America - Home

just type in your town, see what is closest, and check them out when you can so you can see the differences.

Upvote 0