• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How has Asperger's helped you serve God?

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I guess most aspergers have been bullied through their school years, and had a rough time (atleast I do/did). And I guess most Aspergers have a low self esteem and lack of true friends, which has led to lack of trust in people and getting new friends. Therefore I need christianity for self-esteem and to realise that "this is who I am, if people can't accept me then so be it". And I found a great place in this church/assembly and feel accepted, many people are ex. alcoholics, drug addicts, smoking addicts, even gang criminals and you name it, they have it.

I feel far more accepted by communities I don't even identify with. LGBT, BDSM, etc. All essentially secular in nature and yet they encourage that same mentality of being yourself in spite of people's disapproval. So which is right?

I'm sure most aspergers have been bullied alot and so, therefore we fit good in christianity because we build up our self-esteem and find joy there.

I was bullied, but Christianity only gave a temporary fix with the notion of community. They'd just as much toss you aside if you didn't accept their orthodoxy or just shamed and shun you. Or even just said it was a phase. If anything, Christianity tended to isolate me further because I asked questions and they never gave a straight answer.

I'm not saying that's the sole reason I left, but even your individual notion about God as your consistent friend doesn't jive with me because I never really had that kind of experience, nor is it really appealing or fulfilling to me.

We have to tell all Aspergers about christianity.

Evidently, you can try, but I wouldn't hold your breath that all Aspies will somehow find Christianity appealing. If anything, it's a matter of arguably twisting the symptoms to seem appealing in relation to Christianity instead of letting them work it out themselves

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christianity tended to isolate me further because I asked questions and they never gave a straight answer.
Sounds like a two way street. We want people to understand us, yet we struggle trying to understand them. I believe in a two fold atonement. I believe Jesus died to reconcile us with the Father, but also to reconcile us with each other. Peter talks about how we are stones that are being fitted together. It is a life long process and a growing experience to be a Christian. Hopefully we flower or produce fruit somewhere along the way. God said He can cause all things to work together for good. So we can give thanks for everything because He will only allow something in our lives if He can cause good to come out of it.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Even if I got a straight and direct answer, the issue to me was that it seemed more incoherent when I just read directly in works like Luther and Kierkegaard. The general goal seemed entirely dissonant with anything I experienced or even considered in regards to philosophy. And in hindsight, even when I did convert, it felt like it was purely because I wanted to be accepted, not because I really felt compelled rationally to accept the premise they gave me.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I can't pretend to fully understand your situation, but the terrible nature of it doesn't mean you have to latch onto that, especially with the way you present it. It seems to me what you needed was a support structure overall, even if it wasn't your family, who sound like horrible people that probably shouldn't have had children. Once you experience love from people, even if it's imperfect, I don't see why you would need to strive for perfect love, unless you just think you need that and any other love is insufficient, in which case, you've just replaced one security blanket with another. Instead of being codependent with some person that indulges you in some respect, you have a relationship with an entity that arguably could be reduced to your own desires for stability.

I'm not calling you stupid, I'm saying that perhaps you're oversimplifying this. Perhaps you do need drugs, though the degree of those is variable on the person. I honestly don't think I could function as well as I do without Fluvox, though I'd love to reduce teh dosage, since the general function of it can undermine functions connected to serotonin and the like.

Upvote 0

Graham11

Oct 18, 2014
✟15,131.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Smoke Jaguar - I'm Glad you did your post.
Ive had a simalar experience and feel the same way.

Its the first time Ive really looked around on this website and am glad I did. I dont feel quite so alone in the world now.

I'm an undiagnosed autistic and intend to stay undiagnosed. I only realised it about 4-5 years ago.

About 10 years ago there were a couple of people at work that used to call me forest gump but I had no idea why so maybe people around me knew it before I did.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this part of the website. It has made me feel better.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try to imagine this scenario:

All your life you are told that there is something wrong with you and that you need to be fixed. Your entire life revolves around you trying to get fixed by being sent to various hospitals where you are locked up and emotionally abused by staff and being drugged up by experimental pills that leave you even more screwed up. Your mother never listens to you and instead listens to glorified drug dealers giving solutions and would trust Josef Mengele is she met him. Those pills screw you up so much that you take your final two years of high school in the afternoons where you just barely pass and graduate. Eventually a decent doctor years after you graduate tells you that you shouldn't have been on those pills because they didn't work and you were basically used as a lab rat without your consent. The worst part is, your mother lives in denial and tells you that at the time you needed the pills no matter what time, opportunities and happiness it cost you.

People your age abuse and isolate you leaving you detached from people. Adults won't help you, it's your job to learn social skills that is simply handed down to others and if you get rejected and bullied then it's your own fault. You should've known better. You are considered to be a constant disappointment to your alcoholic father and eventually get disowned. You're gifted, talented and popular sister never defends you and even harms you because you are a threat to her popularity. Some of your teachers deliberately humiliate you in front of the class and give you bad marks on assignments because they don't like you. Your principal even threatens to send you to a mental hospital if you don't calm down from abuse-induced meltdowns. It's hard to hold down a job because people don't understand your limits and one boss even bullies you with yelling, cussing and threats and even makes sure you don't get full hours. You live as an outcast where you are denied much of life's taken-for-granted pleasures simply because you were born with Asperger's.

These combined with a plethora of other problems will eventually get you thinking, "Wow, I'm not worth it, am I?"

However, there's a Jewish carpenter from 2000 years ago that deviated from the norm so much that he was labeled a threat and was eventually killed. He tells you that you are loved, cherished and can accomplish great things no matter how lowly you are. He also tells you that if you simply believe in him then you can be in a place where you won't have to suffer anymore. In fact, you will be rewarded for all your troubles and your enemies will have Hell to pay if they don't smarten up. Besides, what do you have to lose? You are already a nobody in the world's eyes.

Then the question comes into your mind, "Who am I going to put my faith in and follow? This world... or God?"

This was my story. I chose God. If I didn't have God, I would try to commit suicide more often or do something much more drastic. I would have no motivation to help other people. I have no love for this world and I'm just a mercenary for God where I'll get a massive spiritual paycheck and some medals after the war is over. Until the cavalry arrives, I'm going to have to carry on and stay put.
I attended a church where they did a lot of teaching about what it means to have the Mind of Christ. This is a progressive work that God is doing in our lives. The wonderful think about walking with God is that life keeps getting better and better as you go along.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

OrthodoxForever

Has been saved, Being saved, (LHM) WILL be saved
Nov 8, 2015
Midwest USA
✟16,761.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Asperger's has helped me maintain a state of being in the world without being of the world. In high school I didn't get caught up in the popularity scramble or petty drama, I resolved to enjoy my true friends and stay out of all that. This allowed me to focus on developing and learning about my faith and made me a better Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lately I've been thinking about how all humans are born with imperfections and differences. I even started to wonder why God would have made me have Asperger's. It came to me that God made us all a certain way for a reason. Once you become a Christian you actually might find that these differences can be beneficial.

We as Aspies tend to be very passionate people. A lot of people think that our "condition" would hinder our walk with the Lord, but in fact, I think we have many positive traits that help us. Maybe I'm wrong but it's just a theory I have.

I'm not claiming that those with AS are superior; I'm just pointing out qualities of AS that make up for where we lack. This thread also isn't meant to sound boastful. It's just something I thought fellow Aspies might want to hear. Maybe this will make you think of Asperger's Syndrome in a new light.

I've noticed a few of my AS traits that have actually helped me in my relationship with God. The biggest one is that I tend to get interested in one thing and put everything else aside. I've noticed that I'm very persistent in prayer and in studying the Bible because it's what interests me. This is how God wants us to be. He wants us to put Him first, above all other things and people.

The second trait that has benefited me is my love of rules. I like letting God mold me into who He wants me to be because I'm lost without guidance and structure. I also love truth, and God and His word is nothing but truth.

The third trait is actually kind of a paradox. I have a lot of trouble relating to people and relationships. There has actually been some good in this because I don't have a lot of pressure from my peers to go against what God wants me do. Even though it's hard having so many social difficulties, God has filled the loneliness that I used to have. Sometimes it makes me stop and appreciate Him because I remember what state I was in before.

If you want, post any symptoms of AS that has actually strengthened your faith in God.

I was nearly 60 when I found I had Asperger's Syndrome. For the longest time I was told I had ADHD. I went through a large battery of psychological tests. I was told I had "cognitive slippage" what the heck that meant I sure did not know. Then after further evaluation I was diagnosed with adult ADD but without the hyper-activity. As a child in the 1950 era such a diagnosis didn't even exist, but the problems sure did. Jr. High and High School were very difficult, but I made it.

My wife was reading about Asperger's and bought some books about it. After getting a full grasp on it my wife said you definitely fit the Asperger's Syndrome far better than the other diagnosis given me. As we read it together it was pure relief and deep hurt that came over me. I finally understood what kept me so messed up. I have now been reaffirmed that Asperger's is clearly what I am dealing with forever in this life.

In my late thirties I had such a desire to become involved in service for Jesus Christ, yet I had tried college about five times and failed each time, so my history was not in my favor of going too far this time either. After much prayer my wife and I were determined to prepare for ministry. To make a very long story short I completed my BA in twenty four months. Seminary was such a wonderful experience. I graduated with two Master degree's that took longer five years. My wife did the same thing as me and we had four children as well. So is anything too difficult for Jesus Christ? Not with Jesus as our guide and helper and LORD. My ministry as a pastor was difficult, and I can honestly say it was a struggle that without my wife and the Lord I could not have done.

Yes Asperger's still causes me frustration, not grasping what people are really saying. I read people wrong, I don't grasp people and their facial meanings, I am too trusting. I trust too much and speak too soon. Listening is difficult, and on top of that I am hard of hearing.

Upvote 0

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I remind myself of that Simpsons episode 'Secrets to a successful marriage.' At the end of Homer teaching his marriage class, Marge asks him what is the one thing he can give her that no one else can? And he replies "complete and utter dependence."

Thats what I offer God. Complete and utter dependence.
Gorgeous

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not mentally capable of having any spiritual connections because of aspergers. The penticostals really need to realize my inability and quit giving me such high demands.
Don't get pressured ...its a personal walk with God. Don't become discouraged.

Upvote 0

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
He is by mine
You know what...you should be proud of who you are , you know why??? YOU have the high position....everyone else is lower...what I mean is not that anyone is better than anyone else, or that G-d has favorites, he certainly doesn't. What I'm saying is, my goodness...God is so near you. He is near the broken hearted and hurting and lonely. What a precious, precious thing. How wonderful! You don't realize it, or maybe you do now, seeing this post is a few yrs old...but goodness, just remember that! How wonderful, to be held by G-d! :) He does everyone, but so much the broken hearted. He was acquainted with griefs and sorrow. The L-rd bless you and keep you.

Upvote 0

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You said your Aspergers was too big of a barrier for God to overcome. He is too big for anyone to handle (on their own terms), but He doesn't expect us to initiate the relationship, just to call on Him. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith.

You recently claimed that you had a Salvation experience, but, now, you are giving all the reasons why you can't believe. That was the dialog you sought in the first place. We are still not going to debate whether God is real or approachable. Either approach Him on His terms or (epic fail) approach Him on yours.
Beautiful saber

Upvote 0