• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How has Asperger's helped you serve God?

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Same here. I haven't been able to serve other people except for giving which is something everyone can do.

If you are true to yourself (your true self), which entails being true to God, albeit in our imperfect way, you may already be serving God, maybe better than some fellow-Christans who are doing so in a more formal and public context.

We also don't know how effectively, by being sincere, we may be silently witnessing to our faith, since - although it's often not recognised - what we all hold to be virtues mostly derive from our former Christian culture.

What's more, our prayers and trials in Christ are redemptive.

Reactions: sunsurfkdt
Upvote 0

rsj455

Sep 27, 2012
✟7,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All I can say to this is WOW!! I have been struggling all my life until I heard about apsergers about 2 or 3 years ago and started to do some research and was convinced that I am an aspie, so I just recently started seeing a therapist. My therapist thinks I'm pretty much normal, but I think its only because I am now 42 years old and have developed my own way of dealing with and hiding my struggles to the point where I do appear normal. But one struggle I've always had was consistency in my relationship with God and with attending church. I came up with ways that being an Aspie could work to my advantage and they were the EXACT methods that you use..Unbelieveable!!! I hadn't started practicing them yet because i thought those were just some of my usually crazy ways of thinking. I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers, but it's ironic how my thinking is so similiar to yours. I too get stuck in one interest so I figured why not make that God, studying the word, attending church. My life is unstructured, I am all over the place, so I figured if I would dedicate to living my life according to the word of God, that will keep me balanced and add some structure. Because I've always had trouble relating to people, I was never sucked in by peer pressure as a youngster and I don't conform to a lot of things that most people do, so that is definately an advantage when it comes to serving God. Thank you for posting this testimony. I thought that my thinking was crazy, but now I know that it is actually helpful. I prayed and fasted this morning hoping that God would speak to me and help me with all the frustrations and struggles I've been dealing with all my life...then I googled "can God help with Aspergers." and came across your post. THIS IS CONFIRMATION. My therapist believes that I may be experiencing some focus and attention problems, but I believe that I received confirmation from your post and that I will be OK by making God my obession. Thank you so much and may God bless you and may you continue to be a blessing to others.

Upvote 0

rsj455

Sep 27, 2012
✟7,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All I can say to this is WOW!! I have been struggling all my life until I heard about apsergers about 2 or 3 years ago and started to do some research and was convinced that I am an aspie, so I just recently started seeing a therapist. My therapist thinks I'm pretty much normal, but I think its only because I am now 42 years old and have developed my own way of dealing with and hiding my struggles to the point where I do appear normal. But one struggle I've always had was consistency in my relationship with God and with attending church. I came up with ways that being an Aspie could work to my advantage and they were the EXACT methods that you use..Unbelieveable!!! I hadn't started practicing them yet because i thought those were just some of my usually crazy ways of thinking. I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers, but it's ironic how my thinking is so similiar to yours. I too get stuck in one interest so I figured why not make that God, studying the word, attending church. My life is unstructured, I am all over the place, so I figured if I would dedicate to living my life according to the word of God, that will keep me balanced and add some structure. Because I've always had trouble relating to people, I was never sucked in by peer pressure as a youngster and I don't conform to a lot of things that most people do, so that is definately an advantage when it comes to serving God. Thank you for posting this testimony. I thought that my thinking was crazy, but now I know that it is actually helpful. I prayed and fasted this morning hoping that God would speak to me and help me with all the frustrations and struggles I've been dealing with all my life...then I googled "can God help with Aspergers." and came across your post. THIS IS CONFIRMATION. My therapist believes that I may be experiencing some focus and attention problems, but I believe that I received confirmation from your post and that I will be OK by making God my obession. Thank you so much and may God bless you and may you continue to be a blessing to others.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
RSJ,
Welcome to CF. Great testimony you have of God leading you.
I wouldn't have liked being ASpie when I was young, but now I've learned to deal with my issues and I'm so glad I am ASpie. The way I think and feel makes more sense to me than the way I see some other people thinking. The one thing I have to fake is empathy. I'm really pad at it. But I am learning to respond more appropriately. But the people that are really tuned into others feelings know its mostly words not true emotion. Oh, well, no one is perfect!

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
OK .. but that still doesn't help me understand much about what your struggle is, drag.

What AS trait is hardest for you to deal with? From your posts, I'm guessing its figuring out what to say.? Can you tell a situation you were in and how your reacted to it?

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My aspergers, coupled with my photography skills, has allowed me to use my photography not only as a ministry but also as a way to keep from having to socialize at church events. I get to be "included" without the need for those niceties I just can't get right. I like it :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not mentally capable of having any spiritual connections because of aspergers. The penticostals really need to realize my inability and quit giving me such high demands.
"Spiritual connections" are not mental processes for anybody, NT or autie/Aspie. God is not put off by our Aspie-ness.
Bible.gif
Keep asking, seeking, knocking.
Bible.gif
God will meet you where you are.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said your Aspergers was too big of a barrier for God to overcome. He is too big for anyone to handle (on their own terms), but He doesn't expect us to initiate the relationship, just to call on Him. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith.

You recently claimed that you had a Salvation experience, but, now, you are giving all the reasons why you can't believe. That was the dialog you sought in the first place. We are still not going to debate whether God is real or approachable. Either approach Him on His terms or (epic fail) approach Him on yours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel that all God wants is for me to be miserable and do nothing but bow down to him like a robot.
Then you, obviously, have not had a genuine born-again experience. (And that fact has nothing to do with having Aspergers.)

He is still available, if you ever have a change of heart (before you die).

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
drag3049 said:
I feel that all God wants is for me to be miserable and do nothing but bow down to him like a robot.

I have felt that way at times. It hurts :(
Please pray for Him to give you peace!

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

(NKJV Matthew 11:29) Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Enter into his rest of Faith (Hebr 4:3).

(1 John 5:3 NKJV) For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

That's not his will for you (to be miserable), Satan's will for you is to be miserable and be under a heavy yoke of "legalism". When you have freedom through The Holy Spirit, in Christ Jesus, and his Zoe kind of life of Abundance, you will gladly worship, and with love, because through The Holy Spirit you know Abba Father created you and loves you as his Child. This is Jesus will for you: "The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows)." - John 10:10 AMP.

(2 Corinthians 5:13 AMP) Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (emancipation from bondage, freedom).

I have felt that way at times. It hurts :(
Please pray for Him to give you peace!

That's definetly not his will. That's exactly why he created us, and with a free-will too. Because he didn't want "robots". He wants an intimate personal relationship with us. Yes, we are also created to worship, but of course God expects it to be out of Love, thankfulness to him and so on. Just like with Obedience and everything else to please him, he expects it to be out of Love and so, because of who HE is and for what HE has done for us (Jesus). But God is still Always Worthy of it all.

Satan has many times tried to set me up against God. I just knew it that time when I was at Church and worshipping, when suddenly I began to get thoughts that I knew were from Satan saying "Jesus isn't worthy of praise, and honor" or something like that. Then at the way home I would feel (probably in my spirit) how I was bombarded. He was at me with lies, trying to set me up against God, just like Satan himself did and FELL. He told me that Asperger's was God's fault, and other stuff. But I rebuked it, and knew it was lies.

Upvote 0

OneSteadfast

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have just recently, at the age of 49, come to accept that I have aspergers. After putting my dear wife through 13 years of hell, and having hurt many good people at points in my life due to my insensitivity, lack of empathy and rigid judgmentalism. But this all happened because I did not understand myself and lived in denial, without any sense that I should try to mitigate these tendencies.

I have a Ph.D. in Religion, and two masters degrees, including an M.Div. I have publications in the top journals for New Testament in the world. Understanding and drawing application from scripture has always been incredibly easy for me. I essentially became an expert in Classical Greek in a year. I have a gift of teaching, and aspergers has allowed me to connect with God's word on a level that I have rarely seen among the NT. I have incredible passion and focus; when directed at God and his word, the results have been profound. During the many years that I abandoned God, isolated from my family, and lived in denial, my life spiralled out of control and I damaged myself and others.

So this thing is both a gift and a curse, depending on your humility and willingness to submit to God, and lean into him. But I think this is true about almost anything in life. Aspergers offers both a challenge and a blessing to your relationship with God and others.

Upvote 0