What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure Terri Schivo was brain dead. She had movement and some basic reactions. I believe it should have been her family’s decision after her husband’s judgment may have been skewed by his new family and desire to move on. Bad example to me, but please pull my plug if I am in that situation.

Not sure the best Bible version

Pass me a beer (or better yet some of the Christ-made wine, I hear it was excellent), or a Marlboro green please.

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your input, RenHoek, but...

RenHoek said:
I am not sure Terri Schivo was brain dead. She had movement and some basic reactions. I believe it should have been her family’s decision after her husband’s judgment may have been skewed by his new family and desire to move on. Bad example to me, but please pull my plug if I am in that situation.

Gggmmmpppphhhffff, didn't you see the bit where I said please don't start tangent debates?!?!? :(

OK, perhaps I was being a little unrealistic ^_^

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
jereth said:
Heh heh, no worries mate. Like I said, "no tangents" is a highly unrealistic wish :D

Well, jereth, maybe it would have been an easier question to answer, without one having to go into details, had you simply said "patients diagnosed as being in a persistant vegitative state," rather than siting a cast study example that was highly controversial in the media.

;)

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I voted for all but like RenHoek take esception because of the biased wording of the Terri Schivo option. She was not brain dead. I would not favor killing anyone without having them proven guilty in a court of law.

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wow... I know not many people have voted, but...

Is the really such a strong correlation between YECism and dispensationalist-historicist theology? I find that pretty amazing. Are there any YECs out there who are amilennialists or "symbolists"?

And homeschooling????? (Genuinely surprised.)

BTW, apologies to all about the "Terri Schiavo" option. I thought it'd be easier to use a real life example than a hypothetical, but I guess that was not so helpful.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
jereth said:
I don't find it terribly surprising. Homeschooled students are subject to the teachings of their parents. Unless their parents were exposed to study in the field of biology, they won't be able to tell one way or the other as far as evolution is concerned.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
jereth said:

During my tenure homeschooling my son the vast majority of homeschooling families I encountered are/were fundementalist/very conservative non-denoms or Baptists. This was true for VA and PA.

Many, but not all, of these families (more so the ones in PA) also practiced a high degree of social seperation. In other words, their only real contact with the public was through the YMCA. All others needs were being met through private church and Christian family networks.

Co-Housing is another emergent area that seems to have strong shades of fundementalism/conservatism driving it.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think what you'll find is that most YEC's (like me) are folks that believe in the Bible pretty much "as written" -- in other words, where its clearly a story or allegory, then it is. If it claims to be speaking on historical grounds, then it is. FYI - some folks view "fundamentalist" as a bit of a put-down.

BTW, I also believe that truth can stand up to any examination and I welcome *honest and respectful* dialog about various topics, including creation. I personally believe that the fossil record, etc., is much better explained by YE C than by conventional evolution -- even on a non-biblical, strictly scientific basis.
-lee-

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
I think what you'll find is that most YEC's (like me) are folks that believe in the Bible pretty much "as written"

Sure, but the point of this poll was to try and demonstrate that YECism is not just about a method of reading Genesis. YECism is but a single ingredient in a more sophisticated worldview which generally includes: dispensationalism, pre-tribulationism, Republicanism, pro-Israel policy, home schooling, sectarianism, etc.

TEism OTOH has proven itself to be a point of view which accomodates a diversity of Christian traditions and understandings.

Until YECists can convincingly divorce themselves from the "fundamentalist American" stereotype, Christians like myself will find it hard to lend them credibility.

FYI - some folks view "fundamentalist" as a bit of a put-down.

Sure thing, but judging by Willtor's "Classifying yourself" poll, most YECists are more than happy to accept the "fundamentalist" label! :)

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jereth said:
Sure thing, but judging by Willtor's "Classifying yourself" poll, most YECists are more than happy to accept the "fundamentalist" label! :)

I wouldn't go this far. As was aptly pointed out, one of the weaknesses of my poll was that I grouped Conservative and Fundamentalist together. That was a mistake. I got complaints from both TEs and YECs (if I recall, and I'm too lazy to check). My poll was more to see if TEs really came from as diverse backgrounds as all that. I think it showed that we do, but I'm hesitant to strongly affirm any other conclusions.

If we are going to draw conclusions about the YEC backgrounds, they will much more likely come from this poll.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Willtor said:
I wouldn't go this far. As was aptly pointed out, one of the weaknesses of my poll was that I grouped Conservative and Fundamentalist together.

Sorry, I'll rephrase: the poll suggests that YECists do not seem overly afraid of being associated with the "fundamentalist" label (even if that's not the term they'd choose for themselves).

Interestingly, if dispensationalism is a key ingredient of contemporary fundamentalism (anyone disagree?), then this thread's poll shows that YECism does indeed sit well with fundamentalism.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
if dispensationalism is a key ingredient of contemporary fundamentalism (anyone disagree?)

dispensationalism is what initially fractured the fundamentalist movement when it started. Secondary was charismatic thinking. You can read the original pamphlets- the Fundamentals- at: http://www.xmission.com/~fidelis/index.php

btw.
if anyone has links into the topic of the orthodox/conservative vs liberal/progressive split in the American Church, especially with respect to Presbyterianism would they send them to me via PM? i have an essay to rewrite on the topic and would appreciate a wider reading...thanks

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dracil said:
None of the above was a wasted choice. Should've put dancing, rock and roll, or D&D/magic in games is evil.

mm hmm, for that matter he could've added, The Sun is not a star, to it.

btw.... I just have to ask, is anyone who posted in this thread Terri Shiavo's personal MD? Any of you read her medical chart?

It's dangerous when people assume they know more than the experts who have examined the first hand information.

I'd also like to interject here that refusing futile medical treatment is not assisted scuicide nor is it "killing."

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
jereth said:
Sorry, I'll rephrase: the poll suggests that YECists do not seem overly afraid of being associated with the "fundamentalist" label (even if that's not the term they'd choose for themselves).

Interestingly, if dispensationalism is a key ingredient of contemporary fundamentalism (anyone disagree?), then this thread's poll shows that YECism does indeed sit well with fundamentalism.
I’m not a big fan of labels; they never tell the whole story and can only give a partial view of what they represent. But because we’re all so enamored with them I’ll go ahead and do the best I can to play along. My definition, and the one most commonly used to define a fundamentalist, says that I believe in the inerrancy of the Bible and its authority, the virgin birth of Christ, the doctrine of substitutionary atonement, the bodily resurrection of Jesus, and the authenticity of his miracles. Based on the above, yes go ahead and call me a fundamentalist 100%. Anything else tied to the fundamentalist definition I’d like to see before I would say that I agree.

Most of dispensationalist theology, from everything I know, fits within my realm of belief, especially the rapture preceding the tribulation part. Yet, I would hardly call myself a dispensationalist, if for no other reason than being labeled as such.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.