Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you want to know how old the Earth is...you must first know how God measures time.

No.

1) You have no reason to assert that God measures time in some way unknown to us. But in any case, it is illogical to assert that even if God "measures time" in some other way, that that would prevent us from measuring that time period.

2) God has clearly provided ample evidence of the age of the earth throughout his creation. We see this in a wide variety of DIFFERENT KINDS of evidence which all yield the same age. The age of the earth is not all that difficult to determine---and the Christ-follower need not fear the answers which God has provided in his creation.

3) So apparently God wished us to know the age of the earth. God's Bible doesn't focus on such questions but the Creation which God "authored" does.

4) It doesn't matter what "time unit" is used for the measurement as long as people understand the definition behind a particular standard. The orbital period of the earth around the sun (another of God's creations) has become a standard unit of time measurement and there is no reason to avoid it. (That is, unless someone has some sort of objection to how God established such phenomena in his creation, why contest it?)

Your inference that God (and perhaps the angels) have some alternative unit of time which they prefer to use is a figment of your imagination. You have no Biblical basis for the claim. And considering that the Bible says that God (a) exists outside of time, and (b) created time, it is a rather bizarre claim.

But EVEN IF angels in the presence of God know of some "time unit" which God has ordained, it would in no way contradict or nullify the various means of measuring time which God made provision for in his creation.

>"How could anyone ever figure out how old the Earth is without knowing how God measured time?"

That question leads me to wonder if you understand how the age of the earth can be determined. (If you did, you wouldn't make the assertions you've posted.) The username you've chosen appears to suggest that you have a high opinion of your own wisdom. But whatever the case, on this topic you are definitely giving the impression of being uninformed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How did God measure time before He created the universe?

Time is an attribute (a dimension of space-time) associated with the matter-energy universe. So what leads you to think that time existed "before" [??] God created the universe? I'm curious how it makes sense to refer to time existing before time was created?

I'd love to hear your description/definition of time in a situation where matter-energy does not exist.

Your question reminds me of analogous questions like "How did United States citizens protect their voting rights in federal elections held during the third millennium B.C.?" Doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How does God measure time?

Do you know?

Based on what the Bible says, God uses the units of time which make sense to humans. That is why God's scriptures speak of days, weeks, months, years, sevens-of-years, and seven-sevens-of-years.

Upvote 0

TheWiseMan

Mercy an Truth
Feb 10, 2013
✟551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No.

1) You have no reason to assert that God measures time in some way unknown to us. But in any case, it is illogical to assert that even if God "measures time" in some other way, that that would prevent us from measuring that time period.

Yes

You have no reason to assert that I assert that God measures time in some way unknown to us. But in any case, it is illogical to assert that even if God "measures time" in some other way, that that would prevent us from measuring that time period.

Upvote 0

TheWiseMan

Mercy an Truth
Feb 10, 2013
✟551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2) God has clearly provided ample evidence of the age of the earth throughout his creation. We see this in a wide variety of DIFFERENT KINDS of evidence which all yield the same age. The age of the earth is not all that difficult to determine---and the Christ-follower need not fear the answers which God has provided in his creation.

Then tell me, how did God determine the age of the earth?

Upvote 0

TheWiseMan

Mercy an Truth
Feb 10, 2013
✟551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
4) It doesn't matter what "time unit" is used for the measurement as long as people understand the definition behind a particular standard. The orbital period of the earth around the sun (another of God's creations) has become a standard unit of time measurement and there is no reason to avoid it. (That is, unless someone has some sort of objection to how God established such phenomena in his creation, why contest it?)

Your inference that God (and perhaps the angels) have some alternative unit of time which they prefer to use is a figment of your imagination. You have no Biblical basis for the claim. And considering that the Bible says that God (a) exists outside of time, and (b) created time, it is a rather bizarre claim.

But EVEN IF angels in the presence of God know of some "time unit" which God has ordained, it would in no way contradict or nullify the various means of measuring time which God made provision for in his creation.

>"How could anyone ever figure out how old the Earth is without knowing how God measured time?"

That question leads me to wonder if you understand how the age of the earth can be determined. (If you did, you wouldn't make the assertions you've posted.) The username you've chosen appears to suggest that you have a high opinion of your own wisdom. But whatever the case, on this topic you are definitely giving the impression of being uninformed.

Here again all this is just your own unproven opinions. To which if I wanted to spend the TIME...I could prove to be incorrect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheWiseMan

Mercy an Truth
Feb 10, 2013
✟551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would recommend that you make 1 statement at a time. And with that statement...present your evidence. Your opinion is not evidence.

Then I will be more than happy to discuss it with you. But I really do not want to take the time nor do I care enough about my creditably with you to prove all your opinions incorrect.

And as far as trying to convince you that I am wise. That is unwise.

Upvote 0