How does God expect victims of tragedy to just believe in Him?

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
By this I mean; rape,molestation,abuse,
Strike with cancer or some other ailment or misfortune..

I remember having a friend in 7th grade who told me abt her father abusing her..

And now I think..how can God just demand people believe in him, despite the turmoil ,tragedy or whatever horrific situation they e dealt...

How does He expect them to believe when He didnt protect them when they needed it most...? How ? That makes no sense to.me..not an ounce..

It seems really insensitive....

Reactions: Gabriel Anton

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As one who was physically and mentally abused by a drunk and evil man - my father, I struggled with that question for decades.

I will first tell you this, you will not find fault in God. Second, we are worthy of eternal condemnation because of our own rebellion. For me, the way out took changing my focus from God's apparent wrongdoing to my sin and rebellion, my failure to love neighbor as self, and to my failure to love Christ who gave Himself for me. My guilt before my Heavenly Father shut my mouth from accusing Him, and His forgiveness of my sin healed the wounds my father gave me.

Our two needs are to be forgiven and to forgive. These both come as gifts through the blood of Jesus. His forgiveness leads directly to the forgiveness of others.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As one who was physically and mentally abused by a drunk and evil man - my father, I struggled with that question for decades.

I will first tell you this, you will not find fault in God. Second, we are worthy of eternal condemnation because of our own rebellion. For me, the way out took changing my focus from God's apparent wrongdoing to my sin and rebellion, my failure to love neighbor as self, and to my failure to love Christ who gave Himself for me. My guilt before my Heavenly Father shut my mouth from accusing Him, and His forgiveness of my sin healed the wounds my father gave me.

Our two needs are to be forgiven and to forgive. These both come as gifts through the blood of Jesus. His forgiveness leads directly to the forgiveness of others.
I'm glad you were able to move on m.but...those like my friend who hates nor doesn't believe in god because of their endured abuse...i dont blame or judge them...not one bit.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you were able to move on m.but...those like my friend who hates nor doesn't believe in god because of their endured abuse...i dont blame or judge them...not one bit.

You don't? Are you a Christian?

God is worthy of all praise and glory. Refusing to acknowledge Him as God and to thank Him is the essence of sin, so you are saying that someone is justified in sin, if I hear you correctly.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,[g] in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.​

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to agree.
Also, it is not Christian to blame or judge.

However, it is usually deep misery that leads people to (seek) God.
Often people have to break down completely to be receptive to God.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I tend to agree.

It isn't Christian to condemn our brothers and sisters in Christ, however it is our duty to "speak the truth in love."

"Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church." (Ephesians 4:15)

"So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body." (Ephesians 4:25)

Paul also writes in detail of how we are to go about speaking the truth in love, how we are to treat our brothers and sisters.

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

These things we are to do, standing for truth in a loving way.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Or any people personally. (i should have added that)

Right, we cannot pass eternal judgement on another person's soul. We are supposed to be a light a broken and dying world though, and stand for truth.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right, we cannot pass eternal judgement on another person's soul. We are supposed to be a light a broken and dying world though, and stand for truth.
The 2 Great Commandments of Agape tell us to forgive like we are forgiven.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To be honest, I think its insensitive to tell my friend who's abused by they're dad ," God loves them...and wants the best for you" BC then he'll say... " why didnt God protect me?"

And for that I have no answer...and I cant lie for God..

But I think its better to show* Gods love then talk about it.and berate people to believe.... When they havent been shown kindness or mercy by God or people

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I tend to agree.

Not really, there are people who don't know what its like to have a problem, that still believe in God.. You dont have to be molested or abused to believe in God...

Usually it builds a wall of bitterness and anger...and resistance..

I myself just feel sympathy for people like my friend who are abused and are expected to just...believe in God...despite Him not protecting them from their trauma , they're supposed to believe without faltering that He loves Him..

I just thank God I've never been thru anything that horrible or else I couldn't,wouldn't believe in God..

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Not really, there are people who don't know what its like to have a problem, that still believe in God.. You dont have to be molested or abused to believe in God...

I myself just feel sympathy for people like my friend who are abused and are expected to just...believe in God...despite Him not protecting them from their trauma , they're supposed to believe without faltering that He loves Him..

I just thank God I've never been thru anything that horrible or else I couldn't,wouldn't believe in God..

Does anyone in this life actually not know what it's like to have a problem? I think everyone has pain in life, no matter who they are.

But you're right to admit that you don't have the answers when you don't, and honestly, who among us is so all wise that we can proclaim we know everything?

The hope I cling to is that though it may seem to us that God doesn't care, He truly does. He entered into our sufferings, to the point of death. A painful, humiliating and terrible death on a cross, for US who do not deserve it. We do not serve a God who is a stranger to suffering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Does anyone in this life actually not know what it's like to have a problem? I think everyone has pain in life, no matter who they are.

But you're right to admit that you don't have the answers when you don't, and honestly, who among us is so all wise that we can proclaim we know everything?

The hope I cling to is that though it may seem to us that God doesn't care, He truly does. He entered into our sufferings, to the point of death. A painful, humiliating and terrible death on a cross, for US who do not deserve it. We do not serve a God who is a stranger to suffering.
I agree with the first half ..He did enter into the world and suffer.. But to say we dont deserving saving ..confuses me a bit...for this reason:

1) no asked to be here...its like a someone carelessly having alot of kids...like octomom...she had kids just to have and now there here resoonsiblity...

And like us,since no one asked to be here or choose where to be born or who to, all humans are Gods responsibility...

2) I honestly think everything if not all God does is for Glory....and my question is how do you truly know God loves you?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
I'm saying alot of things God does is to bring glory to himself...if there were no glory involved would He still do it...is what I'm saying.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying alot of things God does is to bring glory to himself...if there were no glory involved would He still do it...is what I'm saying.

That's what satan accused God of, being self-serving, so I'm a bit taken aback that someone on a Christian forum would even insinuate such a thing.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's not what i said.
That's a phase you can get stuck in for quite some time... i know...
Of course.
Hmm...
If my life had went the way i wanted, i would never have sought truth and find God.

Upvote 0