How does God answer prayers? Why does He sometimes not answer prayers?

truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Attempting to figure out religious/ spiritual truth occupies my mind and time more than anything else. I read, I debate, I pray, I attend liturgy, but remain unsure of what is true. As a result I have spent the past two weeks thinking about what sort of answers the individual searching for God should look for. I also wonder at what point someone should admit defeat and embrace agnosticism.

I can only judge from my own experiences wherein my prayers have gone unanswered for years and my searching seems to only lead to more confusion. From an Orthodox perspective, why would God leave a genuine seeker's prayers unanswered? Am I a fool for persisting in my attempts to believe for so long? Why should I continue looking when it seems to only bring hopelessness?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
we tend to think that God thinks like we do, as in linearly. so we tend to go, I ask, then God answers. the problem is that from God's POV, because He is outside of time, your asking and His answering happen at the same moment for Him, but for us it could be years down the line.

often times I would also say that He does answer, just not in a way we expect. so it takes a while for us to look back and see how He has been working in our lives. hindsight as they say is 20/20.

and sometimes His answer is no

Upvote 0

truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the biggest problem I am having is wondering what I am supposed to do until I get an answer. During such silences I have no idea whether the silence means I need to stay put and be patient, or if I should take it as God telling me I need to move on and look elsewhere.

I really want Orthodoxy to be true, and I am not sure why, but maybe I should step back and simply listen for God to direct me where He wants me to go?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, in my experience silence is just a call from Him for us to be faithful. since you really want Orthodoxy to be true, I think that says something. you could only have that desire if God were working in your life.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was talking with my godfather last Sunday at coffee hour about how I think sometimes we neglect to ponder God's rejections of our desires. We don't know the road of time and outcomes as the Lord knows them. Imagine if we wanted to turn left, but God has us turn right, imagine the BAD things He might have shielded us from if we had turned left! Imagine if we always got our way how damaging it could've been!

We don't realize that God NOT answering our prayers sometimes, thanks to the things He might've saved us from, is in all actuality, Him answering them!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

JeremiahsBulldog

How does God answer prayers? Why does He sometimes not answer prayers?

. . . From an Orthodox perspective, why would God leave a genuine seeker's prayers unanswered? Am I a fool for persisting in my attempts to believe for so long? Why should I continue looking when it seems to only bring hopelessness?

These are all good questions to ask God in your prayers. And then, be patient. He'll answer them in good time.

Upvote 0